• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB139 - constitutional carry...

TFred

Just thinking out loud here...

How many of us are upset, nigh to the point of anger, over the half-dozen so-called "Castle Doctrine" bills that were submitted this year, and are being pushed by TPTB, despite our strong message that these bills are not what we want, and are not ready for prime-time, and will hurt our cause in the long run?

Now let's shift gears.

What if TPTB in the leadership of the legislature, perhaps even including Mr. Cole himself, know without a shadow of a doubt that this bill will not pass this year.

What "looks better" for our cause? Having it wait a year in Lingamfelter's pocket? Or having it forced out to die a very open and hotly debated death on the Floor of the House, where the Morrissey's can spend an hour making up lies and wildly bizarre scenarios that will have us killing Girl Scouts over paper-cuts.

Then what happens next year when the bill might (or might not!) come out again? ALL the anti-gun crazies will be practically yelling, "here come those gun nuts with their wild-wild-west bill again, which even last year with ALL the Republicans FAILED to pass!"

I'm just saying... the big picture is the only one that counts. We're all unhappy about the Castle Doctrine following the little picture, why are we rushing to push HB 139 down that exact same path?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Emailed, called and posted on VAGT.

Delegate doesn't have any Committee assignments this evening. I'll stop by on the way to MPP and see if he can see me. At the very least, his LA should be there.

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

I already got a letter back from Sickles. To quote he says "I do not think it is an undue burden to require every law-abiding citizens to obtain a permit to carry a handgun.". Such a joke that because the Supreme court didn't come out and say outside the home is well they assume that it is not a right.

Repeater

I already got a letter back from Sickles. To quote he says "I do not think it is an undue burden to require every law-abiding citizens to obtain a permit to carry a handgun.". Such a joke that because the Supreme court didn't come out and say outside the home is well they assume that it is not a right.

Try asking Sickles, in person, if he thinks it would be an "undue burden" to require every woman to obtain a permit - and an ultrasound - before getting an elective abortion.

Walt_Kowalski

What the hell, does he know that there is no permit needed for OC?

Why do we keep electing people that have neither want, nor care to protect and uphold their oath to the constitution?

Glockster

And so next year when tracking his position on gun rights, I'd sure hope that what I'll see going out on him is that he supports eliminating the constitutional right to bear arms. And every single voter needs to know that.

Marco

hopefully it will get more support next yr.

said:
Thank you for contacting me with your support for HB 139. I agree with you about the legislation; I think it is a reasonable bill and would make Virginia safer. If I thought a motion to discharge the committee would work, I would do it. But in nearly 400 years of Virginia General Assembly history, I know of no discharge motion that has been successful. This one would not be successful either.

In fact, I think it might do more harm than good in the long run, as it would galvanize the opposition and might push some who are on the fence right now over to the other side. I am disappointed that the legislation will not move forward this session, but will continue to work to convince legislators that it is needed for the Commonwealth. I would ask you to help me in this effort by contacting your Delegate and Senator with your support for Constitutional Carry.

Again, thank you so much for your support of HB 139.

Mark L. Cole
Delegate, 88th District
Spotsylvania, Stafford, Fredericksburg, and Fauquier

We will have to start our push for a Constitutional Carry Bill earlier next yr and hopefully we will get more support.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We will have to start our push for a Constitutional Carry Bill earlier next yr and hopefully we will get more support.

It's never too early to start and I think it may be time for the Virginia Committee for Constitutional Carry, to be created.