• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB139 - constitutional carry...

mk4

i see that there's been no action on this one other than assignment to mpps.

it's not on the full committee's docket nor has it been assigned to any of the subs, so is it safe to assume that it's just sitting in lingamfelter's pocket waiting to die? isn't this just as bad/wrong as the senate's coj ex-deathstar sub under the dems? i've not been around the va political scene long enough to have all the history, but it sure looks like the house repubs have a deathstar process of their own. bills should at least be heard and then move forward or be killed *on the record*! :banghead:

BillB

"As feared nothing is happening with HB139 the Constitutional Carry Bill making it legal for law-abiding Virginians to carry concealed without a permit.

It is outrageous that the right to carry is infringed by putting your name in a government data base. Speaker William Howell has yet to assign the bill to a sub-committee. And bill sponsor Mark Cole is standing by twiddling his thumbs in hopes the bill will die. Mr. Cole is a committee chair which means he serves at the Speakers pleasure and represents the party boss to gun owner not gun owners to the party boss.

Party Boss Howell and Delegate Cole really don’t want a floor vote on the bill because they fear it will pass and many so-called pro-gun Republicans like Scott Lingamfelter like having access to the names of concealed carry permit holders at election time.

Lingamfelter and others don’t want to vote on the bill. They don’t want to go on the record for gun control. But the HB 139 Bill Sponsor, Mark Cole, could be a leader and force a vote. He could move to discharge the bill. The vote on discharge will then be the vote to either support the bill or kill it.

Call Mark Cole at 804 698 1088 or email him at DelMCole@house.virginia.gov Tell him “I am with Virginia Gun Owners Coalition and expect you to discharge HB 139 from Committee if Speaker Howell refuses let it go to the House Floor. Please be a leader not a follower of the party bosses”. If Scott Lingamfelter or Speaker Howell are your delegates call them too.

For Liberty,
Mike McHugh
President, VGOC"

Last edited:

vt357

isn't this just as bad/wrong as the senate's coj ex-deathstar sub under the dems? i've not been around the va political scene long enough to have all the history, but it sure looks like the house repubs have a deathstar process of their own. bills should at least be heard and then move forward or be killed *on the record*! :banghead:

Just as morally bad/wrong? Yes. As legally wrong? No. The house rules allow a subcommittee to kill a bill. The senate rules require that a full committee vote up or down on a bill, a subcommittee cannot do that - only make recommendations. The dems were allowing the senate subcommittee to kill pro gun bills in violation of senate rules.

mk4

Just as morally bad/wrong? Yes. As legally wrong? No. The house rules allow a subcommittee to kill a bill. The senate rules require that a full committee vote up or down on a bill, a subcommittee cannot do that - only make recommendations. The dems were allowing the senate subcommittee to kill pro gun bills in violation of senate rules.

but 139 hasn't even been assigned to subcommittee 1, 2 or 3. it's apparently just sitting in the committee chairman's pocket. at least the airport bill got assigned, was voted on and recommended back to the full committee, albeit to the chagrin apparently, of the speaker.

Marco

why isn't it getting support

It saddens me that our "pro 2A" orgs aren't making more of an uproar about this!!!!!!

It's my opinion it is the fault of the gun owners in VA not getting behind it and showing their support.
IMHO, there are many CHP elistist

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It saddens me that our "pro 2A" orgs aren't making more of an uproar about this!!!!!!

It's my opinion it is the fault of the gun owners in VA not getting behind it and showing their support.

+1,000,000,000,000
I've mentioned before that while making my rounds and bringing this bill up, the majority of Legislative Assistants (That's where the real power is) have never heard of it.

I'm not nearly niave enough to think it would pass this year but I told Philip the other night, it sure would be nice to get out of Committee. Now I'm thinking, it'd be nice to get it in Committee.

mk4

I'm not nearly niave enough to think it would pass this year but I told Philip the other night, it sure would be nice to get out of Committee. Now I'm thinking, it'd be nice to get it in Committee.

THIS!!!
x1,000,000,000

Marco

Agreed, I am just surprised it and SB 324 didn't get more attention.
:confused:

Last edited:

Thundar

P4p

P4P yes this is the ultimate sell out.We should demand Constitutional Carry be voted on in the full senate. Up or down. That way we know who is for us and who to target for political elimination come the next election.

Repeater

Common refrain:

"I support the Second Amendment, but ..."

But what, you may ask.

And the answer would be, relevant to this thread:

"I support the Second Amendment, but you must be approved first."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Common refrain:

"I support the Second Amendment, but ..."

But what, you may ask.

And the answer would be, relevant to this thread:

"I support the Second Amendment, but you must be approved first."

No Repeater, it's more like:

I'm an NRA member but________________________________________.:lol:

stickslinger

P4P yes this is the ultimate sell out.We should demand Constitutional Carry be voted on in the full senate. Up or down. That way we know who is for us and who to target for political elimination come the next election.

P4P? Please excuse the dumb country boy question here.

What the heck is P4P anyway? I see it mentioned a lot lately.

Pay for Politics?
Pay for Performance?
Purchase for Progress?
Urban: Points For Pageviews?
Urban: Pay for Pleasure? .. reference to soapies

Thanks,
b

TFred

This may or may not help you to feel better. Take it for what you choose to get out of it.

Politics is a game. When you win, you can sometimes get what you want. When you lose, you can't get any of what you want at all.

During any of the past General Assembly sessions in recent memory, and especially the previous two, if HB 139 had been introduced, it would have been quite literally laughed out of the GAB, right into the gutter on Broad Street. The sponsor would have been labeled a modern-day version of Jesse James, and ridiculed from left to right, top to bottom for wasting everyone's time.

Big election. Lots of changes. This year, HB 139 was introduced. Nobody laughed. People scratched their chins and thought, "Hmmmm...."

The Elephant is in the room.

So, it may very well stay in Lingamfelter's pocket this year. But it was noticed, and it was discussed behind closed doors, and in the hallways, and on internet message forums, in e-mail alerts, and even in the newspapers.

There may not be enough support to pass it this year. Do you really think it takes a floor vote to discover that? Do you want pro-gun legislators spending their limited amount of political capital, risking the loss of their seats on votes that we know will not yet ultimately succeed? You say you want to know, so you can vote them out, but remember, in the districts where this is a contentious issue, these are the "good" guys. The "other" guy is going to be worse. Much, much worse.

I don't have concrete answers to all these questions. I do know that politics is a marathon, not a sprint.

No, this year they aren't laughing. For me, that is a very good first step.

TFred

Marco

Constitutional Carry Stalled in Committee

For me, that is a very good first step.

Agreed, but the yr ain't over, yet it appears some of our "alleged" 2A orgs have given up trying to get this passed.:mad:

Your help needed in busting HB 139 out of committee

Constitutional Carry Stalled in Committee

Please contact Del. Cole and urge him to introduce a Discharge Petition on HB 139. You may use the message below to contact him by email or phone.

Email:
DelMCole@house.virginia.gov
Phone: (540) 786-3402

Dear Delegate Cole,

I urge you to introduce a DISCHARGE PETITION to bring HB 139 to the House floor for a vote. I wholeheartedly support this legislation … and believe the time is ripe to get this passed.

We have more pro-gun delegates than we’ve had in years. Plus, we have a governor who will sign the bill.

So please protect my right to keep and bear arms by introducing a Discharge Petition for HB 139. There are already four states with such a law and they have all had positive experiences.

Gun Owners of America will keep me posted on the progress of this legislation.

Sincerely,