Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 164

Thread: Is this truly necessary?

  1. #1
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670

    Is this truly necessary?

    i have enough concern when law enforcement is walking around in plain sight...
    but fortified sniper nests at the superbowl...truly?

    http://deadspin.com/5883203/this-loo...the-super-bowl

    shades of syria, eygpt, etc....

    wabbit

  2. #2
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest

    "Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun," even if just looking at a sky box.

    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    i have enough concern when law enforcement is walking around in plain sight...
    Remember, "Never look down the barrel of a loaded gun," even if you're just looking at a sky box.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ded-gun-PERIOD!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    The comments on that article make me sick. So I'm a conspiracy nut for not wanting guns (loaded guns!) pointed at me?

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    It is interesting but also unconfirmed. I'm not sure I have a problem with it. There snipers on top of the White House and Capitol and there have been for a long time. I guess I'll wait for more details before passing judgment.

    +1 on the comments.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-09-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Yes they are, but they typically point binoculars at folks before the point guns at folks. This was likely the case at the Super Bowl....non-story.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  6. #6
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    There was a company that produced the tripods or something... they have a facebook page that shows some of the pictures... they also were sure to point out that the photos of the sniper looking down thru the scope were taken pre-game and very few people were around... they were scanning the crowd with the binocs... NOT the scope... also it was stated that the rifles never had a chambered round.

    Not sure what I think about it... but they have had snipers around the super bowl for years... I saw a video made by ashton kutcher in like 2009 of some snipers across the way on top of a bldg....
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  7. #7
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    I just read that there are 2 confirmed cases of measles coming from SB attendance. Probably more coming. Think Iran engaged in a little biological warfare. Snipers are no defense against that!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  8. #8
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    ok, white house i can see having sniper protection of whomever is occupying the the place but super bowl or other public event....nah!!

    who does the sniper take orders from?

    finally, who oversees the entire operation and who is being protected per se?

    wabbit

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    If you don't like it don't go and don't watch.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I just read that there are 2 confirmed cases of measles coming from SB attendance. Probably more coming. Think Iran engaged in a little biological warfare. Snipers are no defense against that!
    The snipers would shoot the germs right out of the air....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    If you don't like it don't go and don't watch.
    Do you ever contribute anything insightful?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    ok, white house i can see having sniper protection of whomever is occupying the the place but super bowl or other public event....nah!!

    who does the sniper take orders from?

    finally, who oversees the entire operation and who is being protected per se?

    wabbit
    To me, these are valid questions. I doubt very highly that we will ever get any answers to them. My best guess it that it was a special unit of the Indy police or the Indiana state police. I suppose the command structure for the respective agency was followed.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Do you ever contribute anything insightful?
    Only where insight is needed, the rest of the time I try to state what everyone is likely avoiding.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428

    Err on the side of caution...

    What better place for a terrorist, or team of terrorists, to kill hundreds - perhaps thousands - of people? Being prepared is better than being surprised. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

  15. #15
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    What better place for a terrorist, or team of terrorists, to kill hundreds - perhaps thousands - of people? Being prepared is better than being surprised. Pax...
    Indeed it is.

    We live in a different world than the one we lived in prior to 9/11/2001.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    SNIP We live in a different world than the one we lived in prior to 9/11/2001.
    Oh, jeez. I think I'll puke if I hear that one more time.

    Nothing much actually changed on 9/11. A lot of people got their illusions of safety shattered. The viewpoint changed; the facts not so much.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, jeez. I think I'll puke if I hear that one more time.

    Nothing much actually changed on 9/11. A lot of people got their illusions of safety shattered. The viewpoint changed; the facts not so much.
    +1. The facts have not changed much at all. Terrorists and religious extremists have always hated us and always will. We are no safer today than we were on September 11th.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  18. #18
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    What better place for a terrorist, or team of terrorists, to kill hundreds - perhaps thousands - of people? Being prepared is better than being surprised. Pax...
    SB was probably a very large gathering in a PISTOL FREE ZONE also.... Just saying!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Indeed it is.

    We live in a different world than the one we lived in prior to 9/11/2001.
    Absolutely!!! The population of testicles has decrease exponentially!! And falling...

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    I wonder if Lon Horiuchi ever works these events. Seems like he might get a kick out of it.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-10-2012 at 02:28 AM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I wonder if Lon Horiuchi ever works these events. Seems like he might get a kick out of it.
    That'd be funny. But it's not. The rest of this post is an exercise in restraint.

  22. #22
    Regular Member John Canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I wonder if Lon Horiuchi ever works these events. Seems like he might get a kick out of it.
    It's a shame that guy was never punished.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I just read that there are 2 confirmed cases of measles coming from SB attendance. Probably more coming. Think Iran engaged in a little biological warfare. Snipers are no defense against that!
    Maybe if you got your MMR vacine, LIKE YOU'RE SUPOSSED TO, it would be a non-issue. Friggin' crazy's that think that vacines are mind control injections...

  24. #24
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    +1. The facts have not changed much at all. Terrorists and religious extremists have always hated us and always will. We are no safer today than we were on September 11th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Oh, jeez. I think I'll puke if I hear that one more time.

    Nothing much actually changed on 9/11. A lot of people got their illusions of safety shattered. The viewpoint changed; the facts not so much.


    Exactly... we are no more safe, nor less safe than before 9/11.... although we are LESS FREE.
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 02-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    That'd be funny. But it's not. The rest of this post is an exercise in restraint.
    I wasn't trying to be funny. That was bitter, cynical commentary.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •