Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Indiana

Northeast Indiana

I am getting my Indiana CCW license in the state of Indiana, any day now.( Just waiting for the papers back) I am still very confused, I was taught that you cannot whatsoever open carry in indiana, other than Private Property, In your vehicle, and on the range. Please, Whats the deal? Am i missing some laws or certain facts?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kaufman View Post
    I am getting my Indiana CCW license in the state of Indiana, any day now.( Just waiting for the papers back) I am still very confused, I was taught that you cannot whatsoever open carry in indiana, other than Private Property, In your vehicle, and on the range. Please, Whats the deal? Am i missing some laws or certain facts?
    Open carry (OC) with a permit is legal in Indiana.
    http://www.opencarry.org/in.html

Moving this to the Indiana sub-forum to attract more direct input.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Alright, So does that mean i have to apply for a Open Carry license as well?

Alright, So does that mean i have to apply for a Open Carry license as well?
    There is no such thing - one size fits all.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Thank you very much, i guess I'm just really nervous about open carrying. A local person, told me that open carry is not allowed unless in above stated Areas. I just dont want to get stopped sometime when im out walking and get in trouble. You know?

Thank you very much, i guess I'm just really nervous about open carrying. A local person, told me that open carry is not allowed unless in above stated Areas. I just dont want to get stopped sometime when im out walking and get in trouble. You know?
    The nervousness will pass in short order - don't know what "stated areas" you reference - there will be some restrictions so you need to spend some time here and learn the applicable laws. Suggest reading the Indiana forum extensively.

As one can always be stopped for anything at anytime, we recommend purchasing and using a quality digital recorder. Indiana is a one party consent state.
    http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-recording-law

I just meant, what i stated above. Private land, Ranges, and in your vehicle. I do know school's, though not clearly defined, and other obvious places (along with places that have signs posted) but if I'm walking some back country road open carrying then i more than likely won't have any trouble? Thank you for all the help by the way, i will be reading into this forum quite a bit. I also plan do some traveling and what I've seen on this site, is supremely helpful.

I just meant, what i stated above. Private land, Ranges, and in your vehicle. I do know school's, though not clearly defined, and other obvious places (along with places that have signs posted) but if I'm walking some back country road open carrying then i more than likely won't have any trouble? Thank you for all the help by the way, i will be reading into this forum quite a bit. I also plan do some traveling and what I've seen on this site, is supremely helpful.
    Many more places that you can OC than not - generally OC is fine any place that CC is legal.

BTW - good to have you with us.

Thank you, I actually feel less like an idiot for asking this on here. I've posted on a few other sites, that immediately start bashing on me. So, even though its just you, it is very welcoming at that.

Thank you, I actually feel less like an idiot for asking this on here. I've posted on a few other sites, that immediately start bashing on me. So, even though its just you, it is very welcoming at that.
    We welcome all here whether they OC, CC or noC and bash no one - it is against our Forum Rules to insult or attack people.

While OCDO is primarily about promoting and defending the right to openly carry normal, holstered handguns as we go about our everyday routines, some conversation about permits is woven in and then is there is the General Discussion sub-forum for posts on long guns. One can get completely off-topic in the Social Lounge.

I'm sure that someone from Indiana will get back to you soon - there are only 9 on line right now. Must be a slow evening.
    You would likely enjoy a meet n' greet in your area - a chance to know others on a more personal basis.

I would love to go to a meet and greet. Been to a few of the area gun shows, and it can get pretty socially terrifying there with a bunch of Call of Duty teens/adults who know nothing/are trying to act big and bag. I talked with a LEO earlier this evening, actually about an hour ago, who confirmed what you said. (I had no doubt, i just wanted to check county rules and what not) They just said that conceal carry is better cause its less hassle, which was my original thought anyways.

I'm starting off pretty large with my first CC weapon, Being a full 1911. Its what im used to/comfortable with.

Indiana is not issuing you a "CCW". They are issuing you a license to carry a handgun. Indiana does not recognize CC or OC simply carry. I have OCed in the Indianapolis area and have had 0 issues. People don't seem to care. I did have a guy a Walmart talk to me about carry but he thought it was great that I was carrying, he had no issue with it.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Thats what i've learned from here, thanks.

And... Thats awesome man, I see there are a lot of stories about open carrying in walmart. It seems like an alright place to carry most of the time. Thanks for the input.

I would love to go to a meet and greet. Been to a few of the area gun shows, and it can get pretty socially terrifying there with a bunch of Call of Duty teens/adults who know nothing/are trying to act big and bag. I talked with a LEO earlier this evening, actually about an hour ago, who confirmed what you said. (I had no doubt, i just wanted to check county rules and what not) They just said that conceal carry is better cause its less hassle, which was my original thought anyways.

I'm starting off pretty large with my first CC weapon, Being a full 1911. Its what im used to/comfortable with.
    Precisely what I carry with 2 extra mags 24/7 - though it is more often a Commander size on my hip.

Don't see CC as less hassle, were a BG to think about strong arming me because I looked like the stereotyped unarmed victim.
    OC is IMHO a visual deterrent.

Caution warranted in asking a LEO - they will often interject opinion intermixed with fact. Not a bad outcome though.

Glad to find someone who carries as i will. I already have started carrying two mags just getting used to the weight. One on my hip and one on my ankle.

I'm pretty sure i fit the same standard as you do. I'm looking forward to carrying, and am self aware enough to know that i won't draw unless a true fight or flight situation.

Welcome to "open carrying" from a Michigan resident! I travel to Indiana frequently (NW Indiana) and open carry a full sized handgun daily. It will feel weird the first few times you do it, but as everyone finds out, that will quickly pass.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Awesome, May i ask what you carry? I won't take any offense, if you don't want to tell. I know plenty of people that don't want tell. But I'm glad that there are people carrying full size. I'm turning 20 this year, and am still kinda scrawny, but I've been growing a lot lately. So I'm kind of, Not nervous, just don't know what to expect yet.

Awesome, May i ask what you carry?
    Sure. FNH Five-seveN. Before that a Para C7.45LDA (like a slightly smaller 1911). I have worked in Ft. Wayne on occasion (GM plant there) but am not familiar with Garrett. In some thread I believe you said it was near there.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Sweet, checking those out now.

Yes, i know where the plant is. Garrett, is 20-30 miles from Ft. Wayne. Take 327 north and it takes you straight into Garrett, or go to auburn, and left towards avilla on 8. Nice little town.

Awesome, May i ask what you carry? I won't take any offense, if you don't want to tell. I know plenty of people that don't want tell. But I'm glad that there are people carrying full size. I'm turning 20 this year, and am still kinda scrawny, but I've been growing a lot lately. So I'm kind of, Not nervous, just don't know what to expect yet.
    Great to see someone my own age carrying. Be thankful you're in a state that will issue you a permit at 18+. I have to wait till I'm 21.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Welcome to OCDO!

Your question has been pretty well answered here, but I'll expand a little on the subtleties.

On private property and at a range are the places where you can carry without a license.

You cannot carry in a vehicle without a license.

You may transport a handgun in a vehicle without a license.

You may transport a long gun without a license.

You may carry a long gun without a license.

Title 35 Article 47 is your friend:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

See my signature box below.

Thanks everybody, You guys have been a ton of help. One more question, regarding an Indiana License to carry. Ive read through the Florida pages, on there laws and how they honor other states Licenses but it left me with more questions than answers... I plan on traveling to florida, once or twice a year. Any help would be fantastic guys.

Thanks everybody, You guys have been a ton of help. One more question, regarding an Indiana License to carry. Ive read through the Florida pages, on there laws and how they honor other states Licenses but it left me with more questions than answers... I plan on traveling to florida, once or twice a year. Any help would be fantastic guys.
    When in Rome do as the Romans do - same with Florida.

It would be more productive to pose any questions about Florida laws and conduct in the Florida sub-forum.

You cannot carry in FL until you're 21. They have a state statue requiring it. You can have it loaded in your car as long as you follow the applicable laws. Check out handgunlaws.us. They're pretty good but I have seen them wrong on some things.

ETA Cite: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    (3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.
    790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons (5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation
    of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    790.001 Definitions.-- As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 02-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks Man. I was planning on going down there soon, and that could've saved me some serious trouble. Much Appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast