• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northeast Indiana

Jason Kaufman

I am getting my Indiana CCW license in the state of Indiana, any day now.( Just waiting for the papers back) I am still very confused, I was taught that you cannot whatsoever open carry in indiana, other than Private Property, In your vehicle, and on the range. Please, Whats the deal? Am i missing some laws or certain facts?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am getting my Indiana CCW license in the state of Indiana, any day now.( Just waiting for the papers back) I am still very confused, I was taught that you cannot whatsoever open carry in indiana, other than Private Property, In your vehicle, and on the range. Please, Whats the deal? Am i missing some laws or certain facts?

Open carry (OC) with a permit is legal in Indiana.
http://www.opencarry.org/in.html

Moving this to the Indiana sub-forum to attract more direct input.

Jason Kaufman

Thank you very much, i guess I'm just really nervous about open carrying. A local person, told me that open carry is not allowed unless in above stated Areas. I just dont want to get stopped sometime when im out walking and get in trouble. You know?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you very much, i guess I'm just really nervous about open carrying. A local person, told me that open carry is not allowed unless in above stated Areas. I just dont want to get stopped sometime when im out walking and get in trouble. You know?

The nervousness will pass in short order - don't know what "stated areas" you reference - there will be some restrictions so you need to spend some time here and learn the applicable laws. Suggest reading the Indiana forum extensively.

As one can always be stopped for anything at anytime, we recommend purchasing and using a quality digital recorder. Indiana is a one party consent state.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/indiana/indiana-recording-law

Jason Kaufman

I just meant, what i stated above. Private land, Ranges, and in your vehicle. I do know school's, though not clearly defined, and other obvious places (along with places that have signs posted) but if I'm walking some back country road open carrying then i more than likely won't have any trouble? Thank you for all the help by the way, i will be reading into this forum quite a bit. I also plan do some traveling and what I've seen on this site, is supremely helpful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just meant, what i stated above. Private land, Ranges, and in your vehicle. I do know school's, though not clearly defined, and other obvious places (along with places that have signs posted) but if I'm walking some back country road open carrying then i more than likely won't have any trouble? Thank you for all the help by the way, i will be reading into this forum quite a bit. I also plan do some traveling and what I've seen on this site, is supremely helpful.

Many more places that you can OC than not - generally OC is fine any place that CC is legal.

BTW - good to have you with us. :D

Jason Kaufman

Thank you, I actually feel less like an idiot for asking this on here. I've posted on a few other sites, that immediately start bashing on me. So, even though its just you, it is very welcoming at that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you, I actually feel less like an idiot for asking this on here. I've posted on a few other sites, that immediately start bashing on me. So, even though its just you, it is very welcoming at that.

We welcome all here whether they OC, CC or noC and bash no one - it is against our Forum Rules to insult or attack people.

While OCDO is primarily about promoting and defending the right to openly carry normal, holstered handguns as we go about our everyday routines, some conversation about permits is woven in and then is there is the General Discussion sub-forum for posts on long guns. One can get completely off-topic in the Social Lounge.

I'm sure that someone from Indiana will get back to you soon - there are only 9 on line right now. Must be a slow evening.
You would likely enjoy a meet n' greet in your area - a chance to know others on a more personal basis.

Jason Kaufman

I would love to go to a meet and greet. Been to a few of the area gun shows, and it can get pretty socially terrifying there with a bunch of Call of Duty teens/adults who know nothing/are trying to act big and bag. I talked with a LEO earlier this evening, actually about an hour ago, who confirmed what you said. (I had no doubt, i just wanted to check county rules and what not) They just said that conceal carry is better cause its less hassle, which was my original thought anyways.

I'm starting off pretty large with my first CC weapon, Being a full 1911. Its what im used to/comfortable with.

xmanhockey7

Indiana is not issuing you a "CCW". They are issuing you a license to carry a handgun. Indiana does not recognize CC or OC simply carry. I have OCed in the Indianapolis area and have had 0 issues. People don't seem to care. I did have a guy a Walmart talk to me about carry but he thought it was great that I was carrying, he had no issue with it.

Jason Kaufman

Thats what i've learned from here, thanks. :)

And... Thats awesome man, I see there are a lot of stories about open carrying in walmart. It seems like an alright place to carry most of the time. Thanks for the input.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would love to go to a meet and greet. Been to a few of the area gun shows, and it can get pretty socially terrifying there with a bunch of Call of Duty teens/adults who know nothing/are trying to act big and bag. I talked with a LEO earlier this evening, actually about an hour ago, who confirmed what you said. (I had no doubt, i just wanted to check county rules and what not) They just said that conceal carry is better cause its less hassle, which was my original thought anyways.

I'm starting off pretty large with my first CC weapon, Being a full 1911. Its what im used to/comfortable with.

Precisely what I carry with 2 extra mags 24/7 - though it is more often a Commander size on my hip.

Don't see CC as less hassle, were a BG to think about strong arming me because I looked like the stereotyped unarmed victim. :uhoh:
OC is IMHO a visual deterrent.

Caution warranted in asking a LEO - they will often interject opinion intermixed with fact. Not a bad outcome though.

Jason Kaufman

Glad to find someone who carries as i will. I already have started carrying two mags just getting used to the weight. One on my hip and one on my ankle.

I'm pretty sure i fit the same standard as you do. I'm looking forward to carrying, and am self aware enough to know that i won't draw unless a true fight or flight situation.

griffin

Welcome to "open carrying" from a Michigan resident! I travel to Indiana frequently (NW Indiana) and open carry a full sized handgun daily. It will feel weird the first few times you do it, but as everyone finds out, that will quickly pass.

Jason Kaufman

Awesome, May i ask what you carry? I won't take any offense, if you don't want to tell. I know plenty of people that don't want tell. But I'm glad that there are people carrying full size. I'm turning 20 this year, and am still kinda scrawny, but I've been growing a lot lately. So I'm kind of, Not nervous, just don't know what to expect yet.

griffin

Awesome, May i ask what you carry?
Sure. FNH Five-seveN. Before that a Para C7.45LDA (like a slightly smaller 1911). I have worked in Ft. Wayne on occasion (GM plant there) but am not familiar with Garrett. In some thread I believe you said it was near there.

Jason Kaufman

Sweet, checking those out now.

Yes, i know where the plant is. Garrett, is 20-30 miles from Ft. Wayne. Take 327 north and it takes you straight into Garrett, or go to auburn, and left towards avilla on 8. Nice little town.

xmanhockey7

Awesome, May i ask what you carry? I won't take any offense, if you don't want to tell. I know plenty of people that don't want tell. But I'm glad that there are people carrying full size. I'm turning 20 this year, and am still kinda scrawny, but I've been growing a lot lately. So I'm kind of, Not nervous, just don't know what to expect yet.

Great to see someone my own age carrying. Be thankful you're in a state that will issue you a permit at 18+. I have to wait till I'm 21.