• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northeast Indiana

cce1302

Welcome to OCDO!

Your question has been pretty well answered here, but I'll expand a little on the subtleties.

On private property and at a range are the places where you can carry without a license.

You cannot carry in a vehicle without a license.

You may transport a handgun in a vehicle without a license.

You may transport a long gun without a license.

You may carry a long gun without a license.

Title 35 Article 47 is your friend:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

See my signature box below. :D

Jason Kaufman

Thanks everybody, You guys have been a ton of help. One more question, regarding an Indiana License to carry. Ive read through the Florida pages, on there laws and how they honor other states Licenses but it left me with more questions than answers... I plan on traveling to florida, once or twice a year. Any help would be fantastic guys.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks everybody, You guys have been a ton of help. One more question, regarding an Indiana License to carry. Ive read through the Florida pages, on there laws and how they honor other states Licenses but it left me with more questions than answers... I plan on traveling to florida, once or twice a year. Any help would be fantastic guys.

When in Rome do as the Romans do - same with Florida.

It would be more productive to pose any questions about Florida laws and conduct in the Florida sub-forum.

xmanhockey7

You cannot carry in FL until you're 21. They have a state statue requiring it. You can have it loaded in your car as long as you follow the applicable laws. Check out handgunlaws.us. They're pretty good but I have seen them wrong on some things.

ETA Cite: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html
(3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.

790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons (5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation
of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
790.001 Definitions.-- As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Welcome! My dads works out of Garret. You will learn alot here on this site, which will make you alot more comfortable to OC. Been doing it for 2 yrs now and only 1 prob and that was at Wal mart and I had it under my sweatshirt. Hopefully we will have a meet and greet this spring.

vermonter

I am getting my Indiana CCW license in the state of Indiana, any day now.( Just waiting for the papers back) I am still very confused, I was taught that you cannot whatsoever open carry in indiana, other than Private Property, In your vehicle, and on the range. Please, Whats the deal? Am i missing some laws or certain facts?

Again more gun "experts" spouting manure from their mouths. Who was your instructor? Jason: believe 1/2 of what most CCW instructors say and you will be doing OK. OC is legal in the same places as CCW you just need an Indiana LTCH or one from another state (as long as you do not become in Indiana resident). Unlike other instructors I do not believe in shooting off at the mouth unless I know for sure what I am talking about. Someone can correct me (that actually knows the law), if you are carrying as a non res on an out of state CCW - I believe if it says concealed on your license you cannot OC in Indiana.... Any takers answering this one?

vermonter

One more thing: OC in Indiana in a mall you will be asked to leave and signs will probably then go up. They have no weight of law, but you can be trespassed if you refuse to leave. That goes for MOST, but not all malls across America. The larger corporate ones are usually the issue. Look for signs at or near the doors.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Someone can correct me (that actually knows the law), if you are carrying as a non res on an out of state CCW - I believe if it says concealed on your license you cannot OC in Indiana.... Any takers answering this one?

Have never seen reference to that before. Will be most interested in the responses.

Did find this, but it is not a cite to anything official, statute or otherwise.

"When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says “concealed handgun permit,” then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed."
http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Have never seen reference to that before. Will be most interested in the responses.

Did find this, but it is not a cite to anything official, statute or otherwise.

"When carrying within the state of Indiana on an out of state permit, the permittee must carry in accordance with the terms of the permit; for instance, if the permit says “concealed handgun permit,” then it must be concealed. If it simply says license to carry handgun, it can then be carried either openly or concealed."
http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

That's a bunch of silly hoopla IMHO and IANAL but Indiana does not recognize the difference between open carry and concealed carry just carry. If your licensed to carry by any state you're good to go (unless you're an IN resident). In my non-lawyer opinion that part of the law is meant to apply to those who have expired licenses or those who live in "may issue" states that will make carry permits only valid for "hunting and target shooting". So if your permit is good for only "hunting and target shooting" then I'd say you could not carry there. But if you have any other permit that allows you to carry you're good to go.

William Fisher

In Ohio it is called an LCC (License Carry Concealed). Open carry is legal without permit or license. Don't know how that would translate to LEOs in Indiana though.

The following is an Email I sent to Indiana November 2011. The reply could have been more direct, but it might help here:

Lawver, Chelly [clawver@sic.IN.gov]

Indiana honors all other states handgun licenses. Not all other states honor Indiana's license. Websites and organizations such as the NRA do attempt to track this information. Each state regulates this area differently and there is no obligation for one state to notify another state of any change in their law; therefore the department does not attempt to track this information.
For further assistance, you may contact the Indiana State Police at 317-232-8264.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:08 AM
To: State Information Center
Subject: Questions

Name:
William Fisher

Email:
wfisher1@cinci.rr.com

Comments:
My nephew and I have Ohio concealed carry permits.
I have a friend who owns property there and he has given uspermission to spend some time there. Does Indiana reconize OhioConceald Carry permits? Can you carry on your person while in avehichile? Can the weapon be loaded at the time? Is Open Carry leagalin Indiana and can the weapon be loaded when doing so. We want torespect the laws of your state (as we do in all states).

Thank You,

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
I copied this from the Indiana State Police FAQs located at http://www.in.gov/isp/2788.htm (Click on "Licensing to Carry a Handgun"):

Q: I am a permit holder from another state and will be in Indiana in the future. Where and how can I carry my handgun in your state?

A: As stated in the previous question, Indiana honors licenses issued by other states according to the terms thereof. In other words, if you home state requires the weapon be concealed, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in your vehicle in your home state, then do not do so in Indiana.

Indiana does not prohibit Indiana personal protection permit holders from carrying in an establishment that serves or sells alcohol.

An Indiana personal protection permit holder may carry on their person in their vehicle. There is currently no statute requiring a person to notify an officer that they are a permit holder and carrying a weapon if they are stopped for a traffic offense; however it is recommended.

Indiana does prohibit the carrying of firearms in the secure area of an airport, school property, and gaming boats. Many government buildings prohibit weapons. Look for signs and postings at the entrance of public parks and property. Further information on these prohibitions is in the FAQ question on where it is permissible to carry.

cce1302

I copied this from the Indiana State Police FAQs located at http://www.in.gov/isp/2788.htm (Click on "Licensing to Carry a Handgun"):

Q: I am a permit holder from another state and will be in Indiana in the future. Where and how can I carry my handgun in your state?

A: As stated in the previous question, Indiana honors licenses issued by other states according to the terms thereof. In other words, if you home state requires the weapon be concealed, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in your vehicle in your home state, then do not do so in Indiana.
Be aware that what I marked in bold is an interpretation and the opinion of whoever wrote the FAQ for that website. IC 35.47 does not state the "In other words" of that answer.
Indiana does not prohibit Indiana personal protection permit holders from carrying in an establishment that serves or sells alcohol.

An Indiana personal protection permit holder may carry on their person in their vehicle. There is currently no statute requiring a person to notify an officer that they are a permit holder and carrying a weapon if they are stopped for a traffic offense; however it is recommended.

Indiana does prohibit the carrying of firearms in the secure area of an airport, school property, and gaming boats. Many government buildings prohibit weapons. Look for signs and postings at the entrance of public parks and property. Further information on these prohibitions is in the FAQ question on where it is permissible to carry.

This answer needs updated since any local (township, city, or county) laws prohibiting guns in parks or on public property are void.

xmanhockey7

WTF? How is a term of my concealed weapon license that I carry concealed? Because it's not.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Hmmm - so they say you must obey the laws of your home state as well as those of Indiana - there could be potential conflicts.

NC requires that you notify an officer that you are carrying.
You must tell any approaching law enforcement officer that you are carrying a concealed handgun.

VA doesn't require a permit to OC or that you have ID.

Seems that they are creating more confusion rather than clearing things up. :confused:

Obviously, it will make sense to hold Indiana law as superior wherever applicable.