Thread: .45 - 1911 Fix-it Help

.45 - 1911 Fix-it Help

Hey All:

A close friend of mine is fixing up his uncles 30-year-old 1911 for his birthday, he is wondering where he can get parts for this pistol. Here are some details;

I’ve been told its an Army issue around 30-years-old.
    The manufacturer is US & S out of Springvale or maybe its Sweetvale Pennsylvania.

Any info would be great …. THANKS !!!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Easiest question I've seen in months.

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of sources for parts for 1911s.
    Simply Google "buy 1911 parts" and prepare to be overwhelmed.

Only caveat I would have would be if that particular model/vintage were a collectable.
    That and 30 years isn't really that old for a 1911.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Grapeshot is correct.

Here is a particular site that I have found useful on numerous occasions.

Numrich Gun Parts

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

The best thing he can do with it is throw it in a lake and get a Glock 21.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Be nice, lest someone criticize guns that must have the trigger squeezed before disassembly. Me, I would never do that
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Be nice, lest someone criticize guns that must have the trigger squeezed before disassembly. Me, I would never do that
    Know what you mean... else someone may ask "how do you de-cock a 1911 anywayz?"

I would never do that.

I would. At least my 1911s don't have the nick-name Tupperware. The first Glock was produced in 1982, the first 1911 in 1911 (obviously, but there are some slow ones here). When Glock has been around for 100 years then Glock owners can start trash-talking 1911s.

That being said, Glocks are good guns too.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-09-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I would. At least my 1911s don't have the nick-name Tupperware. The first Glock was produced in 1982, the first 1911 in 1911 (obviously, but there are some slow ones here). When Glock has been around for 100 years then Glock owners can start trash-talking 1911s.

That being said, Glocks are good guns too.
    Glocks are great guns, but very few things beat the feel of a 1911 in your hands. I can't wait to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Glocks are great guns, but very few things beat the feel of a 1911 in your hands. I can't wait to get one.
    That's what I'm saying!! Once you buy your first one, you'll be yearning for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Grapeshot is correct.

Here is a particular site that I have found useful on numerous occasions.

Numrich Gun Parts

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Numrich is a great resource for original parts, but if you want to get some parts to "dress up" this 1911, then you need to look at Brownell's. They have an astounding selection of 1911 parts--stock and custom...

http://www.brownells.com/

Cylinder and Slide is another good resource for custom parts:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

And if you need barrels, slides, or comps, you MUST check out Nowlins. They make what are arguably the best 1911 barrels (and some FANTASTIC internal parts too) on the planet:

http://www.nowlinguns.com/

If you need a great gunsmith, look into working with Wayne Novak at Novak Custom in Parkersburg WV. He is one of the best 1911 smiths east of the Mississippi and I can personally vouch for the quality of his work (they also sell some custom parts of exceptional quality):

http://www.novaksights.com/novak.html
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Although, in general, the U.S. Army officially retired the venerable 1911A1 in the mid-1980s as the standard issue sidearm, it is still in use by some SpecOps units who feel the need for greater stopping power than the 9mm Beretta provides. The 1911-style .45acp is not dead - it is still the preferred sidearm of the Marine Corps Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Delta Force, FBI Hostage Rescue Teams, and several big city SWAT teams. Why? Not because it's high tech or particularly pretty (although I think it's beautiful) - but because it just works... and makes a big hole in whatever it hits!

I own four 1911A1-style handguns - 2 by Colt (both 'Commanders' - a .45 and a 9mmLW), a .45acp Randall Model C, and a .45acp made by Israeli Arms International (which is the best box-stock 1911 I've ever shot). I also own three Glocks. None of my handguns has ever failed to function, which IMNSHO, is the most important aspect.

You have already gotten some excellent sources for 1911 parts from others, and as one of the posters said there are literally hundreds of sources for parts. There are probably more specialized sources of parts for the 1911 than for any other handgun ever made. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

I'm sure no one ever dry-fires their 1911 to practice trigger control...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

lol. I'd take a 1911 I found in a lake over a Glock any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    lol. I'd take a 1911 I found in a lake over a Glock any day of the week.
    And you have owned how many Glocks? Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    And you have owned how many Glocks? Pax...
    0. Duh.

0. Duh.
    Well then, that certainly makes you a qualified expert on Glocks, doesn't it? I own both - and equally enjoy - my 1911s and my Glocks! I choose to carry my Glocks because of their lighter weight and superior cartridge capacities. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Well then, that certainly makes you a qualified expert on Glocks, doesn't it? I own both - and equally enjoy - my 1911s and my Glocks! I choose to carry my Glocks because of their lighter weight and superior cartridge capacities. Pax...
    Oh yeah, because the fact that I've never purchased a Glock must mean that I haven't fired hundreds of rounds through them or anything like that.

I carry a 1911 because it is the best pistol for EDC yet created by man. No other popular pistol (except for derivatives) can be holstered outside the belt and still leave such a practical low profile, including Glocks. I know, because I've tried. Furthermore, the 1911 is an ideal weight when properly supported. Light weight's sole advantage is in comfort and easy of carry, and the lighter weight of the Glock is unnecessary compared to the 1911 and contributes nothing in those regards. It is a "feature" without purpose or value for those who carry properly in the manner to which this forum is dedicated.

Oh, not to mention I shoot a 1911 way better than a Glock.

I never claimed to be an expert, and I have no problem with your preference.

But the thing I hate most about Glock are its fanboys. They are the sort who instruct people to throw 1911s in a lake and buy a Glock. Making such a comment in reference to a firearm which is as well-regarded (on average) as the Glock reeks of irrational, trolling fanboy-ism, not a reflective appraisal of facts and helpful contribution to the discussion.

+1 to Marshaul. 1911s have stood the test of time. I have a lot of handguns but if s**t hits my 1911 will be my go to gun (along with my AK, but that's a whole different debate)

But the thing I hate most about Glock are its fanboys. They are the sort who instruct people to throw 1911s in a lake and buy a Glock. Making such a comment in reference to a firearm which is as well-regarded (on average) as the Glock reeks of irrational, trolling fanboy-ism, not a reflective appraisal of facts and helpful contribution to the discussion.
    AHA! So, your intended disdain was for the "fanboys", rather than the Glock itself... I get that. I also understand the validity of your reasoning for preferring the 1911. Damn few handguns produce the stopping power of a .45acp slug, but the .40S&W isn't that far short of it. We all choose what works best for us and that which gives us peace of mind! Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-11-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo correction
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

AHA! So, your intended disdain was for the "fanboys", rather than the Glock itself... I get that. I also understand the validity of your reasoning for preferring the 1911. Damn few handguns produce the stopping power of a .45acp slug, but the .40S&W isn't that far short of it. We all choose what works best for us and that which gives us peace of mind! Pax...
    I'm convinced that in many circumstances the .40 S&W is ballistically superior to the .45 ACP.

That doesn't count for much when the slow push of the .45 means I shoot so much better than I do with the brisk flip of the .40.

I must admit that I own a "Tupperware" gun and have great luck with it thus far. But nothing (no gun) beats the feel of a 1911. Glocks are great guns, very few people argue about that, but most will say that they just don't feel right.

Oh yeah, because the fact that I've never purchased a Glock must mean that I haven't fired hundreds of rounds through them or anything like that.

I carry a 1911 because it is the best pistol for EDC yet created by man. No other popular pistol (except for derivatives) can be holstered outside the belt and still leave such a practical low profile, including Glocks. I know, because I've tried. Furthermore, the 1911 is an ideal weight when properly supported. Light weight's sole advantage is in comfort and easy of carry, and the lighter weight of the Glock is unnecessary compared to the 1911 and contributes nothing in those regards. It is a "feature" without purpose or value for those who carry properly in the manner to which this forum is dedicated.

Oh, not to mention I shoot a 1911 way better than a Glock.

I never claimed to be an expert, and I have no problem with your preference.

#1 Everything you said here is your opinion. Anyone who likes any other kind of gun could call someone who loves 1911's a 1911 fanboy. That goes both ways. So, someone is a "fanboy" if they prefer Glocks, but they're not a "fanboy" if they prefer 1911's?

#2 My comment was just a joke. You must be a very sensative person to have taken this so seriously. Try to relax a little and think it's your job to defent the "honor" of the 1911. Obviously, you like them and they are your preference. Other people prefer other types of guns, including Glocks. That doesn't make anyone any more superior than anyone else
    I've owned a Kimber 1911 and it was a comfortable gun. The gun wasn't reliable so I stopped carrying it. Picked up a Glock 21 and like it even better than the Kimber. This is my preference. Anyone who puts others down for their preference in a carry gun is a jacknob internet commando mall ninja.

And if anyone here cares to add up your last sentence with your previous feelings, I think they'll see that it doesn't add up. You contradict yourself.

Relax, it's an internet forum where MANY people come, and they all have opinions.

If anyone here is a troll, it's someone who gets all uptight about someone else making a joke about throwing a certain kind of gun in a lake and getting any other kind of gun instead.
    Last edited by SpyderTattoo; 02-12-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: additonal word meant to backspace
    Certified Glock Armorer

#1 Everything you said here is your opinion. Anyone who likes any other kind of gun could call someone who loves 1911's a 1911 fanboy. That goes both ways. So, someone is a "fanboy" if they prefer Glocks, but they're not a "fanboy" if they prefer 1911's?

#2 My comment was just a joke. You must be a very sensative person to have taken this so seriously. Try to relax a little and think it's your job to defent the "honor" of the 1911. Obviously, you like them and they are your preference. Other people prefer other types of guns, including Glocks. That doesn't make anyone any more superior than anyone else
    I've owned a Kimber 1911 and it was a comfortable gun. The gun wasn't reliable so I stopped carrying it. Picked up a Glock 21 and like it even better than the Kimber. This is my preference. Anyone who puts others down for their preference in a carry gun is a jacknob internet commando mall ninja.

And if anyone here cares to add up your last sentence with your previous feelings, I think they'll see that it doesn't add up. You contradict yourself.

Relax, it's an internet forum where MANY people come, and they all have opinions.

If anyone here is a troll, it's someone who gets all uptight about someone else making a joke about throwing a certain kind of gun in a lake and getting any other kind of gun instead.
    #1 A person is a "fanboy" not because they have a preference, but due to the things their preference inspires them to say and do. And your joke does place you squarely in the fanboy category, whether you see it or not. The timing was all wrong, and the delivery failed. It smacked of fanboyism, not good-natured good humor.

#2 My response to your post was a joke, as well. All things being equal, I probably would add a Glock to my collection over fishing something out of a lake.

My diatribe there was in response to another poster who insinuated that, by not having purchased any Glocks, I couldn't have formed an opinion. And, no, I'm not sensitive, but when someone calls me out on the internet... Get your flame suits on. That's half the fun of the internet.

As to the Kimber, if you're judging 1911s by overpriced pieces of junk known for their lazy manufacture, unfinished state of tune, and resulting reliability issues, you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I would take a Glock over a Kimber any day of the week. Even the Kimbers which are true 1911s (no crappy external extractor) are way down on my list.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-12-2012 at 04:00 AM.

I hope you all had fun hi-jacking this thread ... ... LOL !!!!!!!!!