• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 - 1911 Fix-it Help

09jisaac

I must admit that I own a "Tupperware" gun and have great luck with it thus far. But nothing (no gun) beats the feel of a 1911. Glocks are great guns, very few people argue about that, but most will say that they just don't feel right.

SpyderTattoo

Oh yeah, because the fact that I've never purchased a Glock must mean that I haven't fired hundreds of rounds through them or anything like that.

I carry a 1911 because it is the best pistol for EDC yet created by man. No other popular pistol (except for derivatives) can be holstered outside the belt and still leave such a practical low profile, including Glocks. I know, because I've tried. Furthermore, the 1911 is an ideal weight when properly supported. Light weight's sole advantage is in comfort and easy of carry, and the lighter weight of the Glock is unnecessary compared to the 1911 and contributes nothing in those regards. It is a "feature" without purpose or value for those who carry properly in the manner to which this forum is dedicated.

Oh, not to mention I shoot a 1911 way better than a Glock.

I never claimed to be an expert, and I have no problem with your preference.

But the thing I hate most about Glock are its fanboys. They are the sort who instruct people to throw 1911s in a lake and buy a Glock. Making such a comment in reference to a firearm which is as well-regarded (on average) as the Glock reeks of irrational, trolling fanboy-ism, not a reflective appraisal of facts and helpful contribution to the discussion.

#1 Everything you said here is your opinion. Anyone who likes any other kind of gun could call someone who loves 1911's a 1911 fanboy. That goes both ways. So, someone is a "fanboy" if they prefer Glocks, but they're not a "fanboy" if they prefer 1911's?

#2 My comment was just a joke. You must be a very sensative person to have taken this so seriously. Try to relax a little and think it's your job to defent the "honor" of the 1911. Obviously, you like them and they are your preference. Other people prefer other types of guns, including Glocks. That doesn't make anyone any more superior than anyone else
I've owned a Kimber 1911 and it was a comfortable gun. The gun wasn't reliable so I stopped carrying it. Picked up a Glock 21 and like it even better than the Kimber. This is my preference. Anyone who puts others down for their preference in a carry gun is a jacknob internet commando mall ninja.

And if anyone here cares to add up your last sentence with your previous feelings, I think they'll see that it doesn't add up. You contradict yourself.

Relax, it's an internet forum where MANY people come, and they all have opinions.

If anyone here is a troll, it's someone who gets all uptight about someone else making a joke about throwing a certain kind of gun in a lake and getting any other kind of gun instead.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
#1 Everything you said here is your opinion. Anyone who likes any other kind of gun could call someone who loves 1911's a 1911 fanboy. That goes both ways. So, someone is a "fanboy" if they prefer Glocks, but they're not a "fanboy" if they prefer 1911's?

#2 My comment was just a joke. You must be a very sensative person to have taken this so seriously. Try to relax a little and think it's your job to defent the "honor" of the 1911. Obviously, you like them and they are your preference. Other people prefer other types of guns, including Glocks. That doesn't make anyone any more superior than anyone else
I've owned a Kimber 1911 and it was a comfortable gun. The gun wasn't reliable so I stopped carrying it. Picked up a Glock 21 and like it even better than the Kimber. This is my preference. Anyone who puts others down for their preference in a carry gun is a jacknob internet commando mall ninja.

And if anyone here cares to add up your last sentence with your previous feelings, I think they'll see that it doesn't add up. You contradict yourself.

Relax, it's an internet forum where MANY people come, and they all have opinions.

If anyone here is a troll, it's someone who gets all uptight about someone else making a joke about throwing a certain kind of gun in a lake and getting any other kind of gun instead.

#1 A person is a "fanboy" not because they have a preference, but due to the things their preference inspires them to say and do. And your joke does place you squarely in the fanboy category, whether you see it or not. The timing was all wrong, and the delivery failed. It smacked of fanboyism, not good-natured good humor.

#2 My response to your post was a joke, as well. All things being equal, I probably would add a Glock to my collection over fishing something out of a lake.

My diatribe there was in response to another poster who insinuated that, by not having purchased any Glocks, I couldn't have formed an opinion. And, no, I'm not sensitive, but when someone calls me out on the internet... Get your flame suits on. That's half the fun of the internet.

As to the Kimber, if you're judging 1911s by overpriced pieces of junk known for their lazy manufacture, unfinished state of tune, and resulting reliability issues, you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I would take a Glock over a Kimber any day of the week. Even the Kimbers which are true 1911s (no crappy external extractor) are way down on my list.

Last edited: