• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Fix-it Help

Bersa.380

Hey All:

A close friend of mine is fixing up his uncles 30-year-old 1911 for his birthday, he is wondering where he can get parts for this pistol. Here are some details;

I’ve been told its an Army issue around 30-years-old.
The manufacturer is US & S out of Springvale or maybe its Sweetvale Pennsylvania.

Any info would be great …. THANKS !!!!

.45acp

Hey All:

A close friend of mine is fixing up his uncles 30-year-old 1911 for his birthday, he is wondering where he can get parts for this pistol. Here are some details;

I’ve been told its an Army issue around 30-years-old.
The manufacturer is US & S out of Springvale or maybe its Sweetvale Pennsylvania.

Any info would be great …. THANKS !!!!

Not to be unkind, but if your friend does not know where to get parts, how on earth could he be qualified to assess to parts to be changed, much less fit them to the gun.

09jisaac

Not to be unkind, but if your friend does not know where to get parts, how on earth could he be qualified to assess to parts to be changed, much less fit them to the gun.

I think he is looking for original parts, he could have assembled plenty of 1911s from scratch.

Gil223

I think he is looking for original parts, he could have assembled plenty of 1911s from scratch.

The design of the 1911 - other than the introduction of the A1 model - really hasn't changed in 100 years. "Original parts" are still being made today... right this minute. Which just goes to prove that old saying... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". John M. Browning's design was so well done, that there has been no need to modify any of the parts (with the possible exception of the materials used - metallurgy has advanced significantly since 1911), and the specs for the 1911 proper (the full-sized 1911, not the Commander, Delta, etc.) remain as they were originally.

Your friend needs to be careful which parts he replaces. He will not be able to "restore" it to USGI standards (or 'collector standards' - all matching serial numbers) if any of the serial numbered parts are replaced (replacing any serial numbered part will result in a severe reduction in resale value to anyone who knows 1911s). However, if he wants nothing more than to restore it as a shooter, for its sentimental value, or as a family heirloom, he can change anything he wants and then paint it purple! Pax...

09jisaac

The design of the 1911 - other than the introduction of the A1 model - really hasn't changed in 100 years. "Original parts" are still being made today... right this minute. Which just goes to prove that old saying... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". John M. Browning's design was so well done, that there has been no need to modify any of the parts (with the possible exception of the materials used - metallurgy has advanced significantly since 1911), and the specs for the 1911 proper (the full-sized 1911, not the Commander, Delta, etc.) remain as they were originally.

Your friend needs to be careful which parts he replaces. He will not be able to "restore" it to USGI standards (or 'collector standards' - all matching serial numbers) if any of the serial numbered parts are replaced (replacing any serial numbered part will result in a severe reduction in resale value to anyone who knows 1911s). However, if he wants nothing more than to restore it as a shooter, for its sentimental value, or as a family heirloom, he can change anything he wants and then paint it purple! Pax...

There is a huge difference between original parts and original spec parts. Not all the parts have markings on them, if I am not mistaken. I know that the 1911 has changed very little in its hundred years but parts that were produced 30 years ago would be distinguishable from parts produced this year, if only from the eyes of an expert.

Gil223

There is a huge difference between original parts and original spec parts. Not all the parts have markings on them, if I am not mistaken. I know that the 1911 has changed very little in its hundred years but parts that were produced 30 years ago would be distinguishable from parts produced this year, if only from the eyes of an expert.

Yes, they would be distinguishable, but they would still fit probably 99% of 1911s - which is the point I was trying to make. However, serial numbered parts (barrel, slide and frame) that were replaced would be a deal breaker to any 1911 collector, even if he was just beginning his collection. As I said, metallurgy (and machining and finishing processes as well) have made significant advances in the last 100 years. Parts made today meet the original specs, but use improved materials. It sounds as if his friend's 1911 is being rebuilt for sentimental reasons, so it probably makes no difference what he does to it. :) Pax...

Bersa.380

Yes, they would be distinguishable, but they would still fit probably 99% of 1911s - which is the point I was trying to make. However, serial numbered parts (barrel, slide and frame) that were replaced would be a deal breaker to any 1911 collector, even if he was just beginning his collection. As I said, metallurgy (and machining and finishing processes as well) have made significant advances in the last 100 years. Parts made today meet the original specs, but use improved materials. It sounds as if his friend's 1911 is being rebuilt for sentimental reasons, so it probably makes no difference what he does to it. :) Pax...

Yup, being rebuilt for sentimental reasons .... it needs a few small things .... like grip screws, barrel bushing, and has a weak beavertail safety spring ....

.45acp

Taking a gun apart and putting it back together is not Rocket Sience ..... do you not realize some guys have an ability to fix things ..... WAKE UP AMERICA !!!!!

Its "Not Rocket Science" I believe you were trying to say.

Point taken......But many internal parts need fitting by one that knows the 1911. About half of the shade tree mechanic firearms on any range don't run well....and like it or not, ensuring the safe function of any firearm is a prerequisite for performing work on them.

I have noticed an increasing number of folks that think being mechanically inclined suddenly translates into being a gunsmith......I will disagree.

Brian D.

Just fyi: That US&S 1911 was manufactured no later than during World War Two. Other than some small runs of guns made for special ops groups in the last few years, our military hasn't received new-made 1911s since about 1950.