• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Making a trip to AZ what is the basic OC or CC laws?

28kfps

I will be making a trip to AZ in a month. I do know the dos and don’ts for NV. Would AZ. be the same as NV.? Private business posting no guns, in NV. they can ask one to leave if they do not allow firearms however, the law does not play a part unless the one asked to leave refuses.
For NV. State and Federal facility have to be posted at each door if no guns are allowed.
I understand the airport and school deal. How about if the place serves alcohol?
Thanks for any input.

March Hare

If the business serves alcohol, you have to have a concealed carry permit, carry concealed and can not consume alcohol.
If the business has posted signs prohibiting firearms, you can't carry at all legally.
There is NO open carry in places that serve alcohol.

I hope this helps.

-MH

28kfps

If the business serves alcohol, you have to have a concealed carry permit, carry concealed and can not consume alcohol.
If the business has posted signs prohibiting firearms, you can't carry at all legally.
There is NO open carry in places that serve alcohol.

I hope this helps.

-MH

Thanks, sure does help. My home state is AZ just do not make it down there that often. Interesting on how AZ has dropped some of their gun restrictions however will enforce a private businesses rule. No open carrying in places that serve alcohol and not consuming alcohol also different, while in NV open carrying in any place that serves alcohol is not an issue. You can have a drink while OCing however it is illegal if intoxicated. Thanks for the info any other input welcomed. I want to be safe and legal while visiting.

JesseL

Posted businesses that don't sell alcohol for on-premises consumption are -legally speaking- just like any place else. If they notice you and ask you to leave, there's no further problem if you comply. If you don't leave they can have you charged with trespassing.

hotrod

I just arrived in Tombstone for a few days and I appreciate y'all answering. It helped me also. I went to www.handgunlaws.us but was still a little unsure of the conceal and open laws concerning restuarants. Again, thanks!!

28kfps

Posted businesses that don't sell alcohol for on-premises consumption are -legally speaking- just like any place else. If they notice you and ask you to leave, there's no further problem if you comply. If you don't leave they can have you charged with trespassing.

Ok that makes since. Posted businesses in NV are the same. One is not breaking the law if they walk past a no gun sign in a private business just breaking the business rule as you said for AZ.. The business can only ask one to leave if they do not they can call the law and have them trespassed. Trespassed would have nothing to do with the firearm. It will be the same as asking someone to leave and did not because they did not follow the business no shirt rule. Thanks for the update and info.

azcdlfred

I just arrived in Tombstone for a few days and I appreciate y'all answering. It helped me also. I went to www.handgunlaws.us but was still a little unsure of the conceal and open laws concerning restuarants. Again, thanks!!
I personally don't trust websites like "handgunlaws" because their accuracy is suspect and when the cops light you up, telling them you read it on "handgunlaws" won't get you out of trouble.

If you live in Arizona, or are travelling through, I recommend buying a copy of The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide. It's also available at amazon.com.

Fred

autosurgeon

Telling them you read it in a book is no better.

Use the links on handgunlaws and look at each states website and read what they have posted. It will be more up to date than some book that was already 6 months out of date when it was published.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

azcdlfred

Telling them you read it in a book is no better. Use the links on handgunlaws and look at each states website and read what they have posted. It will be more up to date than some book that was already 6 months out of date when it was published.
Good points!

As an FYI, Arizona has a part time legislature. Once the session is over, laws signed by the Governor go into affect 90 days later - typically July. Between sessions, no new laws are passed. Alan Korwin, who publishes the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide, usually has the newest edition, with all the new and updated statutes, published by the time the new laws take effect. I recommend it as a resource.

While statutes are always the best go-to source, online references (and books) neglect the interpretation of laws establsihed by court decision. Until Constitutional Carry was passed, there were two 1994 court cases that made having a CCW permit the only sure way to open carry without risking arrest.

Before Constitutional Carry was passed, the Department of Public Safety produced an annual interpretation of the laws and court cases and buried it in their website for we instructors to use. It hasn't been updated since 2010 when the new laws changed what was required to be taught, but you can find it here.

Fred

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Since every letter matters on a URL, this needs to be corrected to www.handgunlaw.us, no "s"...

I've not found any glowing errors yet, so still recommend this website as a good STARTING point to education when you travel.

Last edited: