Thread: More on the legality of school carry from WNEM

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

More on the legality of school carry from WNEM

http://www.wnem.com/video?clipId=6722335

i like how the comment from one woman was that she would pull her kid out of school... will she pull her kid out of all michigan schools since it's legal everywhere? dummy.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 02-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    http://www.wnem.com/video?clipId=6722335

i like how the comment from one woman was that she would pull her kid out of school... will she pull her kid out of all michigan schools since it's legal everywhere? dummy.

We can hope she does, maybe leave the state.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I wonder if that reporter had a CCW*. He was carrying that gun concealed of course it may have been a fake gun. Too bad the gun shop guy said once you get in your car you can't have it carried openly. Oh well at least they got the part about needing a CWP* to carry on school right.

*Denotes sarcasm
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I think what Duncan meant was you can't get into the car unless you have a CPL. I know in a car it is "Carried Otherwise" but for the average Joe and public it's easy enough to say that the guys concealed.

People need to realize there is a limit to the depth and technicality you can have on a 2 to 3 minutes article.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I wonder if that reporter had a CCW*. He was carrying that gun concealed of course it may have been a fake gun. Too bad the gun shop guy said once you get in your car you can't have it carried openly. Oh well at least they got the part about needing a CWP* to carry on school right.

*Denotes sarcasm
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I paused the video and it sure looks like a real glock with a magazine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvr1212 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I paused the video and it sure looks like a real glock with a magazine in it.
    By law it doesn't matter whether there is a magazine in it or not. A concealed gun is a concealed gun.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

But, he was in the gun shop, private property, and may have had the owners permission to do it for the story possibily ?? My guess is he has his permit.

The exceptions in MCL 750.227 are quite clear, in your dwelling home, place of business (more so a business you own), or on land possessed by the person. Even if the store owner says "yeah its ok to conceal" he is still committing a felony.

I would be interested to know if he has a CPL or not though...
    Last edited by Yance; 02-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

SInce they are being smartasses about the guy legally OCing at the school (probably during non-school hours when there aren't kids around), it would be funny to get another channel to do an expose on the news reporter illegally carrying a concealed weapon....
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    By law it doesn't matter whether there is a magazine in it or not. A concealed gun is a concealed gun.
    I know it doesn't. I was referring to you saying it may have been a fake gun.

Banned
    A fake gun might get you screwed with though.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    A fake gun might get you screwed with though.
    Try using a fake gun during the commission of a crime, a bank robbery for example, and see how that will work out for ya.

Banned
    Exactly my point.