Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SW VA OC Stories

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

SW VA OC Stories

Post your OC experiences from SW VA here.

Previous relatively new thread was locked for going too far off topic and contained unnecessarily contentious posts.

Please stay on topic and keep this thread clean.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

here 's one. i was going through Hillsville and needed gas. one of the lowest was at the c/o 52 and 58can't think of the name right off. went to the pump and used my card. but as i looked up i seen that the door had a gun buster sign on it. i turned and cut off the pump, because i will not do business with a company that has that sign on their door. it upset me so bad that i took off my firearm and left it in the truck, and went inside to take them a "no gun = no $" card. it probably got round filed, but i did get them to know that i would not be shopping there. i went next door and got gas for 2 cents less.

i hope that they realize that i buy 80$ worth of gas every time i go through there, which is at least once a week
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    here 's one. i was going through Hillsville and needed gas. one of the lowest was at the c/o 52 and 58can't think of the name right off. went to the pump and used my card. but as i looked up i seen that the door had a gun buster sign on it. i turned and cut off the pump, because i will not do business with a company that has that sign on their door. it upset me so bad that i took off my firearm and left it in the truck, and went inside to take them a "no gun = no $" card. it probably got round filed, but i did get them to know that i would not be shopping there. i went next door and got gas for 2 cents less.

i hope that they realize that i buy 80$ worth of gas every time i go through there, which is at least once a week
    Save your receipts for a month and show them. Take the time to explain to the manager/owner how only LAC obey the law, BGs don't. Ask them to rethink their policy - nothing to lose and possibly something to gain.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I've always thought this cartoon was particularly effective:

Always wanted to ask if unfriendly banks and such if they "disarm" the rest of their security systems.

The best bells and whistles are the ones inside your head - listen to them.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    My profession has me talking with gas station/store owners and managers every single day I go to work. Over the years, the one thing I have consistently heard from them was how little money they actually make off gas. Of course you might also buy some snacks and etc., but just saying they don't seem to care if you buy gas or not. Markup is just not there (they say). FWIW .02
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

So they say

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    My profession has me talking with gas station/store owners and managers every single day I go to work. Over the years, the one thing I have consistently heard from them was how little money they actually make off gas. Of course you might also buy some snacks and etc., but just saying they don't seem to care if you buy gas or not. Markup is just not there (they say). FWIW .02
    My father -in-law used to have the Shell station at 95 & Willis Road. In Febnruary his slowest month, he pumped 200k gallons of gas. When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon. That equals $20k a month just on gas.

Yes, they have a much larger mark up on food stuffs, but don't let them tell you how poor they are from selling gas.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    ...but don't let them tell you how poor they are from selling gas.
    Actually, I'd say that equates to a very low ROI (Return On Investment) when you consider the sunk and recurring costs involved to make $20k/month.

I know of no gas station owners living in the affluent areas of my county.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Actually, I'd say that equates to a very low ROI (Return On Investment) when you consider the sunk and recurring costs involved to make $20k/month.

I know of no gas station owners living in the affluent areas of my county.
    I agree with Felix.

"When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon." (10 %, GROSS?)

I assume that was his gross you speak of, right? We have to ask, after he paid his expenses to offer that gas, what was he making "net?" Many people look on businesses covetously, but all they can see is how much is going into the register---that's not all profit. Plus, making .10 per gallon back then does not mean that is still the case these days.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    I agree with Felix.

"When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon." (10 %, GROSS?)

I assume that was his gross you speak of, right? We have to ask, after he paid his expenses to offer that gas, what was he making "net?" Many people look on businesses covetously, but all they can see is how much is going into the register---that's not all profit. Plus, making .10 per gallon back then does not mean that is still the case these days.
    Harris said that by going to http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/ and clicking on the link under gasoline, “It shows that retailing is about 7 percent of the cost of a gallon of gas.

“At $3.50 a gallon, that equals about 25 cents, of which all overhead has to be taken to get your net – I think that is why the five to eight cent range is probably a good ‘guesstimate,’” Harris said.
    http://www.myreporter.com/?p=10887

Ok, we need to start this thread over, it's getting OT again. Maybe the third time is the charm :^).

Regular Member Law_Abiding_Citizen's Avatar
    Yeah this thread has went way off the beaten path. And I had nothing to do with lmao lame.
    Oh my God, please help me, knee deep in the river tryin to get clean, he says wash your hands, get out the stains, but you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay, yeah you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay!

Don't see that the thread has strayed that much in commenting on thoughts developed as a result of post #2 - the only one to date relating to SW VA. Feel free to post such material as relates to that area.

The big difference between this thread and the one prior is the lack of animosity and irritation expressed this time.

-Rolls eyes- Yeah yeah yeah. Still off topic. Tis not a gas station store map of where each one is located and if they make any money on the gas they buy.

First Citizens bank in Mt Airy doesn't have a no guns sticker on their doors, seemed friendly enough while I was in there, no one asked or seemed to really notice I had my gun on my hip.
    Oh my God, please help me, knee deep in the river tryin to get clean, he says wash your hands, get out the stains, but you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay, yeah you best believe, boy, there's hell to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Law_Abiding_Citizen View Post
    -Rolls eyes- Yeah yeah yeah. Still off topic. Tis not a gas station store map of where each one is located and if they make any money on the gas they buy.

First Citizens bank in Mt Airy doesn't have a no guns sticker on their doors, seemed friendly enough while I was in there, no one asked or seemed to really notice I had my gun on my hip.
    Hey thats one of my banks. i have been in there lots of time OCing. so far they have not said anything. thats great
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    Hey thats one of my banks. i have been in there lots of time OCing. so far they have not said anything. thats great
    Cool, yeah I had my revolver on my hip and walked up to the door thinking "If they have the no guns sign I will go back to the truck and take it out of the holster and get my business done, get back to the truck and put it back in my holster." I seen no sign and was like "Hells yes, I can OC in here, I like this bank more now."

anyone here from Dickenson Co. / Clintwood area?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Well, got my first person nervous about OCing. Cana Country Store, guy working there told me not to bring the pistol back in the store, but will have a talk with the owner about it next time I see him. See why, and why he has not put up the no guns sign on his door. Ask him nicely if he would put it on the door if he don't allow guns in there.

Wish me luck, will see what I can do about them allowing it, if it is the owner not allowing, or if it were just a nervous employee.

Well, got my first person nervous about OCing. Cana Country Store, guy working there told me not to bring the pistol back in the store, but will have a talk with the owner about it next time I see him. See why, and why he has not put up the no guns sign on his door. Ask him nicely if he would put it on the door if he don't allow guns in there.

Wish me luck, will see what I can do about them allowing it, if it is the owner not allowing, or if it were just a nervous employee.
    Please, never ever ask that a gun buster sign be put up!

Such signs are negative advertisement of the highest form. Everybody, whether pro, anti, or fence sitter will see them and remember them - you would want to be responsible for that?

By all means talk to the owner - maybe you can get it straighten out. If not take your money and your business somewhere else and report them as "unfriendly."

Well if they are gonna be anti-gun friendly, then they need the sign up so that others can see before they walk in and get into any sort of trouble. I can report em unfriendly but if certain people do not read that and walk in anyways. You know what I am saying? But yeah I am gonna see why and try to get em to allow it. I think the employee was just nervous, he shouldn't have been he knows me, to an extent. always been friendly and polite to him. Like I say wish me luck in trying to get them to allow it.

Well if they are gonna be anti-gun friendly, then they need the sign up so that others can see before they walk in and get into any sort of trouble. I can report em unfriendly but if certain people do not read that and walk in anyways. You know what I am saying? But yeah I am gonna see why and try to get em to allow it. I think the employee was just nervous, he shouldn't have been he knows me, to an extent. always been friendly and polite to him. Like I say wish me luck in trying to get them to allow it.
    Absent a sign, there is no "trouble" or violation of law that may befall a LAC for being in the business unless he refuses to leave if asked..

With a sign up, but missed by the citizen carrying, there are those LEOs that will take the stance that you were given notice. Point is why create this environment that serves no good purpose other than to advertise a GFZ. BTW - that is not just my personal opinion, but one shared by virtually all of the old hands here as well as both owners of this site.

OCer walks in, employee says "No guns allowed," OCer leaves - end of story. It is only when the citizen refuses to leave that a problem is incurred and the worst that will result is a trespass charge.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Absent a sign, there is no "trouble" or violation of law that may befall a LAC for being in the business unless he refuses to leave if asked..

With a sign up, but missed by the citizen carrying, there are those LEOs that will take the stance that you were given notice. Point is why create this environment that serves no good purpose other than to advertise a GFZ. BTW - that is not just my personal opinion, but one shared by virtually all of the old hands here as well as both owners of this site.

OCer walks in, employee says "No guns allowed," OCer leaves - end of story. It is only when the citizen refuses to leave that a problem is incurred and the worst that will result is a trespass charge.
    Yep!

§ 18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian, or the agent of any such person, or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or

after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by or at the direction of such persons or the agent of any such person or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen,

or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-173; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1982, c. 169; 1987, cc. 625, 705; 1991, c. 534; 1998, cc. 569, 684; 2011, c. 195.)
    The statute DOES not require that you see the sign, only that it is placed where you should see it.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-27-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    This thread is closer than central Va....so OC High Alert #2 fot 2012.
    I got another trespasser on camera. Now I have to find two of them

Hey L.A.C., i am by there all the time. been in there carrying several times. if you would like for me to go with you to talk to the owner i will. it is owned by a man and his wife, they also own a business in Mt. Airy also.

GRAPESHOT, it is only end of the story if the citizen, will let the infraction stand. there should be no discrimination to legal self defense. talking to the owners is defiantly one of the options, and too, an active boycott if that doesn't work

PETERNAP, what exactly does people property trespassing have to do with open carry experiences in SW VA?
    Last edited by papa bear; 02-27-2012 at 10:16 AM.

- unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast