• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW VA OC Stories

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Well if they are gonna be anti-gun friendly, then they need the sign up so that others can see before they walk in and get into any sort of trouble. I can report em unfriendly but if certain people do not read that and walk in anyways. You know what I am saying? But yeah I am gonna see why and try to get em to allow it. I think the employee was just nervous, he shouldn't have been he knows me, to an extent. always been friendly and polite to him. Like I say wish me luck in trying to get them to allow it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well if they are gonna be anti-gun friendly, then they need the sign up so that others can see before they walk in and get into any sort of trouble. I can report em unfriendly but if certain people do not read that and walk in anyways. You know what I am saying? But yeah I am gonna see why and try to get em to allow it. I think the employee was just nervous, he shouldn't have been he knows me, to an extent. always been friendly and polite to him. Like I say wish me luck in trying to get them to allow it.

Absent a sign, there is no "trouble" or violation of law that may befall a LAC for being in the business unless he refuses to leave if asked..

With a sign up, but missed by the citizen carrying, there are those LEOs that will take the stance that you were given notice. Point is why create this environment that serves no good purpose other than to advertise a GFZ. BTW - that is not just my personal opinion, but one shared by virtually all of the old hands here as well as both owners of this site.

OCer walks in, employee says "No guns allowed," OCer leaves - end of story. It is only when the citizen refuses to leave that a problem is incurred and the worst that will result is a trespass charge.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Absent a sign, there is no "trouble" or violation of law that may befall a LAC for being in the business unless he refuses to leave if asked..

With a sign up, but missed by the citizen carrying, there are those LEOs that will take the stance that you were given notice. Point is why create this environment that serves no good purpose other than to advertise a GFZ. BTW - that is not just my personal opinion, but one shared by virtually all of the old hands here as well as both owners of this site.

OCer walks in, employee says "No guns allowed," OCer leaves - end of story. It is only when the citizen refuses to leave that a problem is incurred and the worst that will result is a trespass charge.

Yep!

§ 18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian, or the agent of any such person, or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or

after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by or at the direction of such persons or the agent of any such person or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen,

or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-173; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1982, c. 169; 1987, cc. 625, 705; 1991, c. 534; 1998, cc. 569, 684; 2011, c. 195.)

The statute DOES not require that you see the sign, only that it is placed where you should see it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This thread is closer than central Va....so OC High Alert #2 fot 2012.
I got another trespasser on camera. Now I have to find two of them:mad:

welcome-2.jpg

papa bear

Hey L.A.C., i am by there all the time. been in there carrying several times. if you would like for me to go with you to talk to the owner i will. it is owned by a man and his wife, they also own a business in Mt. Airy also.

GRAPESHOT, it is only end of the story if the citizen, will let the infraction stand. there should be no discrimination to legal self defense. talking to the owners is defiantly one of the options, and too, an active boycott if that doesn't work

PETERNAP, what exactly does people property trespassing have to do with open carry experiences in SW VA?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey L.A.C., i am by there all the time. been in there carrying several times. if you would like for me to go with you to talk to the owner i will. it is owned by a man and his wife, they also own a business in Mt. Airy also.

PETERNAP, what exactly does people property trespassing have to do with open carry experiences in SW VA?

He defends/protects his property while OCing - it's kind of the flip side of OCing in the mall. In one case the OCer is the guest, in the other he is the owner........and the trespassers are armed much of the time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

That's the only reason I bother to OC there. I spend half my life running them off or dragging them to the Magistrate. That's probably a little more reason than the folks here who post their OC experience because they're afraid to cook breakfast unarmed.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

That's the only reason I bother to OC there. I spend half my life running them off or dragging them to the Magistrate. That's probably a little more reason than the folks here who post their OC experience because they're afraid to cook breakfast unarmed.

That made my day lol. Funny, made me laugh the first laugh of the day.

Grape, I am not much of a people person and don't really have much, how to put this, experience as say you or some of the senior members here. But I can do what I can, the guy that owns it used to be my gfs neighbour growing up. =P Maybe can get him to allow it, plus I hear he don't like a little someone I don't like either haha. Two things in common.

But now on to some news from down in Winston. The Circle K on University Parkway doesn't have a sign and the lady working in there earlier tonight either didn't seem to notice or just didn't say anything about it. Although three cop cars pulled over across the street and I started to get nervous. >.<;; Dunno why but cops always make me nervous. Do I need a shrink? Lol

TFred

Please, never ever ask that a gun buster sign be put up!

Such signs are negative advertisement of the highest form. Everybody, whether pro, anti, or fence sitter will see them and remember them - you would want to be responsible for that?

By all means talk to the owner - maybe you can get it straighten out. If not take your money and your business somewhere else and report them as "unfriendly."
And even though this is an OC forum, the simplest fact of the matter is that without a sign, those who choose to carry concealed are fine, unless someone develops x-ray vision and tells them to leave. If you demand a sign, then you restrict all gun carriers, not just open carriers.

TFred

papa bear

went up and spent the day with my son in Salem/Roanoke area. went to ABC store nothing said. went to BONES rib joint don't even know if they noticed. went on to the movie theater a valley view. i thought that they were posted, but i didn't see any signs out side, no one said anything. i was expecting something, but i don't think anyone even noticed

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I were in Bedford doing some shopping late this afternoon, so we decided to head on down to Roanoke for dinner at Chipotle. The cashier gal asked the wifester if she was carrying a taser or a gun, since she'd never seen a pink gun. The wifester told her it was a gunand the gal thought the thing was pretty cool. After we'd sat for a while we noticed a Roanoke cop pull up and that made us both uneasy enough that the wifester decided to turn on her recorder. Fortunately the guy was just there to get dinner and not to make trouble like Roanoke cops are known to do. After dinner I OCed at Gander Mountain and we headed back to the Burg.

papa bear

i was running up 100 to Pulaski yesterday, and as i was coming thru Selvata, the VA HP had a traffic stop. i hate to say it but i din't argue with them. i only rolled down my window a little and handed them ny drivers licenses. luckily, i had buckled up before i got to them. of course, i had my side arm on and i didn't declare to them, and they didn't ask. i am ashamed though that i didn't make them got thru the efforts. but , i didn't feel like messing with them

papa bear

was going up to Salem Sat. . went to golden coral in Mt. Airy for breakfast. i was of course OCing and of course they are used to seeing me in there. as i was getting some food this guy comes up to me and asks what kind of gun i am carrying. i tell him and he says OK, and then i went to set down and he went his way. after a while his wife comes up and explains that she had sent him over. basically because she carried a 380 and was curios about carrying something bigger. i told her i sometimes carry a 380 when i CC, but for the most part i OC. so we talked about OC and she had just got her CHP, and she was really open to having get togethers for carriers

went to Salem and had a good cook out. then took mom to Goodwill, no one there said anything to me this time. all in all a good day to OC

Last edited:

papa bear

hey PARAMEDIC, i believe you and i met at the Washington county gun show. i am beginning to feel alone down here. hope some more will post

again, hope everybody will come to the picnic in Salem/Roanoke this weekend

paramedic

hey PARAMEDIC, i believe you and i met at the Washington county gun show. i am beginning to feel alone down here. hope some more will post

again, hope everybody will come to the picnic in Salem/Roanoke this weekend

You are correct we did meet, and yes we are coming to the picnic, really looking forward to it as a matter of fact.

Still wondering why user was asking about people from Dickenson County

paramedic

Had to stop by Trader Jerry's, decided to go into KMART at Claypool Hill mall. Was a very non eventful day, not even any funny looks. Then had to walk down to the jewelery store to get my wife necklace repaired. I did have to walk by the thearter that kicked us out, and of course got a snotty look from the manager that asked us to leave, that was worth the trip. You could tell it was killing her that she could not say anything to us in the mall itself.

carsontech

Activist Member
While traveling up to WV on the 5th, I stopped to get something to eat at the McDonalds off of I-77, exit 14, in Hillsville. I got there at about 10:30 P.M. I was OCing my CZ 75 Compact knockoff (Canik55 C100) in a Blackhawk SERPA worn on my hip, strongside. I was wearing blue jeans and a tucked in, fitted, button up, black shirt. I looked pretty spiffy, considering I usually wear an un-tucked t-shirt and shorts/jeans.

The perky teenage cashier didn't seem to bothered by the firearm, nor did any one else give me a double take. Hell, it's Virginia, that's the way it's suppose to be. Anyway, after I ordered, I stood around for about 5 minutes waiting on my food.

After receiving my food, I sat and ate at a very tall table that had a swiveling stool by one of the entrances, with isles on both sides.

A few minutes into eating, one of the employees was cleaning tables next to me. He looked to be retired and working at McDonalds to have something to do. He walked on the other side of my table and asked me how I was doing, which turned into a conversation on the hours he worked. He then walked off to clean some more tables.

A few minuets later he walks behind me and comes around in front of me:

Employee: I didn't even notice it until now, city or county?
Me: Neither.
Employee: Huh? Oh, you must be with the state.
Me: (After a 7 hour drive was looking like it was going to become an 10 hours, I wasn't up to talking much, but tried my best to play nice.) I ain't a cop...
Employee: What?
Me: I'm not a cop, and I wouldn't ever want to be one either.
Employee: *chuckles and walks away*

Last edited:

papa bear

While traveling up to WV on the 5th, I stopped to get something to eat at the McDonalds off of I-77, exit 14, in Hillsville. I got there at about 10:30 P.M. I was OCing my CZ 75 Compact knockoff (Canik55 C100) in a Blackhawk SERPA worn on my hip, strongside. I was wearing blue jeans and a tucked in, fitted, button up, black shirt. I looked pretty spiffy, considering I usually wear an un-tucked t-shirt and shorts/jeans.

The perky teenage cashier didn't seem to bothered by the firearm, nor did any one else give me a double take. Hell, it's Virginia, that's the way it's suppose to be. Anyway, after I ordered, I stood around for about 5 minutes waiting on my food.

After receiving my food, I sat and ate at a very tall table that had a swiveling stool by one of the entrances, with isles on both sides.

A few minutes into eating, one of the employees was cleaning tables next to me. He looked to be retired and working at McDonalds to have something to do. He walked on the other side of my table and asked me how I was doing, which turned into a conversation on the hours he worked. He then walked off to clean some more tables.

A few minuets later he walks behind me and comes around in front of me:

Employee: I didn't even notice it until now, city or county?
Me: Neither.
Employee: Huh? Oh, you must be with the state.
Me: (After a 7 hour drive was looking like it was going to become an 10 hours, I wasn't up to talking much, but tried my best to play nice.) I ain't a cop...
Employee: What?
Me: I'm not a cop, and I wouldn't ever want to be one either.
Employee: *chuckles and walks away*

i go into that store about twice a month. very busy place. high turn over rate on employees sometimes.

there are alot of out of staters in there too. but no one has said anything to me and i've got where i don't pay attention to non-threats

next time you're this close come on down the road a few miles and i'll buy you a pork chop sandwich at snappy lunch