• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

user

Accomplished Advocate
That case still pains me.

Actually, he didn't lose his final appeal - he was never allowed to appeal. He had defenses which should have been presented to the jury, but his attorney was prohibited by the judge on motion of the commonwealth's attorney from doing so. The only question he would have had on appeal was really about his right to have his defenses presented to the jury, not that the jury should have decided in his favor. It's not a fair trial when people can't get a jury to hear their side of the story.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, he didn't lose his final appeal - he was never allowed to appeal. He had defenses which should have been presented to the jury, but his attorney was prohibited by the judge on motion of the commonwealth's attorney from doing so. The only question he would have had on appeal was really about his right to have his defenses presented to the jury, not that the jury should have decided in his favor. It's not a fair trial when people can't get a jury to hear their side of the story.

Indeed - IMO a trial is only fair when both sides have the ability to present their case fully.

Felt like there was a rush to judgement in this one - my patience was not rewarded with the full disclosure for which I had hoped.

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

The only question he would have had on appeal was really about his right to have his defenses presented to the jury, not that the jury should have decided in his favor. It's not a fair trial when people can't get a jury to hear their side of the story.

Not having been in the courtroom hearing the arguments, nor having read the transcript or heard the recording of the arguments, I shall defer to the judge who made the rulings that his denial of presentation of that evidence was withing the bounds of law and rules of evidence.

Va_Nemo

JoeSparky

Centurion
Not having been in the courtroom hearing the arguments, nor having read the transcript or heard the recording of the arguments, I shall defer to the judge who made the rulings that his denial of presentation of that evidence was withing the bounds of law and rules of evidence.

Va_Nemo

User does have very specific and detailed knowledge of the details of this particular case!

Va_Nemo

User does have very specific and detailed knowledge of the details of this particular case!

Be that as it may. It appears that

1. defendant, thru counsel, lost his arguments and CoA chose not to hear his appeal. The CoA will do that on occasion. Guess his argument was not strong enough to get the trial court Judge to rule in Def favor or CoA to hear it or SCOVA to hear it.

Or

2. he just got spanked by the luck of losing the draw.

I think I will go with number 1 above.

Nemo

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A judge w/o personal bias, leanings to the left or right, who will decide based upon the law impartially is an ideal, not a reality, unfortunately.

OTOH - is there a concise, positive term for the judicial equivalent of nullification?

Last edited:

OC for ME

What recourse does he have? If you believe the judge screwed up, and can prove he screwed up, what will you do?

Sorry. I failed to address a direct question.

So, for example, you feel that every time a cop arrests someone for DUI the cop should also be indicted for abduction and battery of the citizen whom he handcuffed and put in the back of the cruiser?
Of course if the stop is found to have been unlawful.

I know the reality today.

What I do not know is why the criminal defense law profession does not work to hold judges/prosecutors accountable for letting cops get away with abduction and battery of the citizen whom he handcuffed and put in the back of the cruiser unlawfully?

The lawyer's guild is a very powerful guild...no?

Why is it OK for a tax payer backed check to be all that is required to meet the proper redress of wrongs.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The lawyer's guild is a very powerful guild...no?...

Is that why defense lawyers don't shout the education of the concept of jury nullification from the rooftops? Seems it would only help them, but perhaps the cost is too great to the legal community as a whole?

OC for ME

Is that why defense lawyers don't shout the education of the concept of jury nullification from the rooftops? Seems it would only help them, but perhaps the cost is too great to the legal community as a whole?
I believe that nullification would be used rarely and likely for/on the wrong case(s).

Nullification must be used for every trial that places a citizen in legal harm based only on a prior restraint violation. Such as peaceably carrying a pistol under your shirt without a government issued permission slip. The courts have said that a permit is legal, a prior restraint on out 2A, while the very same courts decrying virtually all prior restraints on our 1A.

user

Accomplished Advocate

Va_Nemo

Not unreasonable, but I wonder whether how you'll feel when you're in the position of having to defend yourself in a politically charged trial.

user

Accomplished Advocate

Mostly, they don't care. And there is no "lawyer's guild"; most of 'em regard themselves as being in a competitive business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mostly, they don't care. And there is no "lawyer's guild"; most of 'em regard themselves as being in a competitive business.
How many dollars rest in pockets within our fair state?

Seems as if there are at least that many who, reaching for your pocket, claim to be THE attorney for you.