• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

DocWalker

I agree it doesn't sound like he was in fear for his life. The story said he was on the side of the jeep, I bet she was shot in the back.

It is sad but give someone a badge and gun and they think they are the guatapo and can do anything they like........

paramedic

Although we do not know the full story, but if she was driving away the officer was not in danger. I guess a valid question is was anyone else in danger if she was able to drive away. If that is not the case, then this officer needs to be known as a former officer.

Repeater

Tennessee v. Walker

A better account is here:

One dead in shooting on N. East St. in Culpeper
One person is dead following a shooting involving a Culpeper Town Policeman on North East Street Thursday morning.

According to Wally Bunker, spokesman for the Town of Culpeper, what happened next is not yet clear and the Virginia State Police are investigating the incident. Bunker said, per standard procedure, the officer involved in the accident has been placed on administrative leave.

According to witness Kris Buchele, who’s father owns a building directly behind the parking lot, the officer was talking to a person in a green late-model Jeep Wrangler when the driver began to roll up the window and pull away.

“The officer yelled ‘stop, stop or I’m going to shoot,’” Buchele recalled.

Buchele described the initial shot as “point blank” and said the officer then fired at least five more shots as the Jeep pulled out of the parking lot and onto North East Street.

This account appears to be entirely dependent on the eyewitness account, as the victim cannot speak for herself.

If this account is accurate, it would seem to violate Tennessee v. Garner:
The use of deadly force to prevent the escape of all felony suspects, whatever the circumstances, is constitutionally unreasonable. It is not better that all felony suspects die than that they escape. Where the suspect poses no immediate threat to the officer and no threat to others, the harm resulting from failing to apprehend him does not justify the use of deadly force to do so. It is no doubt unfortunate when a suspect who is in sight escapes, but the fact that the police arrive a little late or are a little slower afoot does not always justify killing the suspect. A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead.

eamelhorn

I would like to think there is more to this than her driving off, as of right now we dont know what if anything she had in the jeep. To take anothers life is not a light thing, we cannot shoot a man/woman if they are fleeing our home running across are yard, even if they did just break and enter our home and rob us.

DocWalker

taurusfan

Wow this is a shocking story as it's being reported. It just goes to show you must cooperate in the street 'cause you never know what they're gonna do.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I wonder why the State Police are investigating?

In my State it is routine for a different agency to investigate ANY incident involving an officer. It is explained as to avoid the pitfalls associated with investigating themselves. I don't read anything sinister in this at this point.

Vigilance Eternally is required to maintain and protect our freedoms.

TFred

Slightly different detail in the witness account for this article, which is probably the version that will be in print in tomorrow morning's paper.

Lucky this guy didn't kill someone in one of the approaching vehicles.

TFred

"When the officer arrived, an altercation occurred. Kris Buchele, a carpenter working in an upstairs room of the apartment house next door, said he heard a loud argument and went to the window to see what was happening.

"The cop had one hand on the door handle like he was trying to open it," he said. "The driver started to pull away and the officer said, 'Stop or I'll shoot!'

"Just as the woman got the window rolled up, the cop shot point-blank. I saw the glass bust out. As the Jeep pulled away, [the officer] ran into the street and there were five or six more gunshots," Buchele said.

Buchele said the Wrangler headed south on East Street, climbed onto the right sidewalk, rolled slowly into a utility pole and stopped. Buchele added that several vehicles were approaching from the south, the direction the Wrangler was heading and the officer was shooting."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Lucky this guy didn't kill someone in one of the approaching vehicles.

Oh, no. Nobody else was in danger. Small town cops are crack shots even under the pressure of shooting a vehicle moving away from them and driven by someone who was just blasted in the face. Such cops are hardened in the crucibles of Hell even before their Baptism of [strike]Fire[/strike] Vehicle Exhaust.

Any misses would have to be the fault of the ammo manufacturer for out-of-spec ammo.

Everybody knows this. Why is it even a question?

Last edited:

TFred

There's an updated article on the web page for the Culpeper newspaper. Biased, anti-gun writing at its finest.

Apparently even when it's the LEOs doing the shooting, it's still lumped in as "gun violence" as if it were an armed robbery or gang bangers.

Maybe that's not so wrong... it just hit me funny when I read it.

TFred

http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2...oman-shot-dead-police-altercation-ar-1678540/

"VSP released no other information Thursday night as speculation abounded around town into what happened. The fatal shooting shattered an otherwise beautiful sunny day in Culpeper where gun violence is relatively uncommon."

Repeater

There's an updated article on the web page for the Culpeper newspaper. Biased, anti-gun writing at its finest.

Apparently even when it's the LEOs doing the shooting, it's still lumped in as "gun violence" as if it were an armed robbery or gang bangers.

Maybe that's not so wrong... it just hit me funny when I read it.

TFred

http://www2.starexponent.com/news/2...oman-shot-dead-police-altercation-ar-1678540/

"VSP released no other information Thursday night as speculation abounded around town into what happened. The fatal shooting shattered an otherwise beautiful sunny day in Culpeper where gun violence is relatively uncommon."

I have to wonder how credible the news account is.

Consider:
According to the VSP, while attempting to retrieve her identification, Cook suddenly closed her window trapping the officer's arm while she drove away.

Police said the officer repeatedly commanded Cook to stop but she refused.

How often do LEOs reach into your vehicle and physically remove your identification papers? That's a hostile intrusion, isn't it?

And how stupid would it be to drive away with an armed LEO caught in your door? That seems implausible. Also, note how the "witness" account has changed.

FOIA of the incident report would be very helpful, except the 'secret police' can say no.