• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I love how people of your ilk always trot out the, "But he was a marine!" "But she was a Sunday school teacher." Yet you stand incredulous when a CCWer shoots a criminal and the family says, "But he was always in church" or "he was in the Choir".

People of all colors, genders, ages and sizes do terrible things, however in your world that doesn't happen. Only those "other kind" do bad things.

I suspect the color and gender of the suspect has a lot to do with your ignorant position here.

Oh, I think we all agree with that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Its a fact.

Really?
Cite or get off the pot!

And while you're it, let us know what states you're licensed to practice in?

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Take a look at:

Moss v. Harwood, 102 Va. 386 (1904); Tronfeld v. Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co., 272 Va. 709 (2006); Fleming v. Moore, 221 Va. 884 (1981) See also, Kelley v. Tanoos, 840 N.E.2d 342 (Ind. Ct. App. 2005); Scott v. Cooper, 226 A.D.2d 360 (1996); Barrett v. Rosenthal, 40 Cal. 4th 33 (2006).

OK...non applicable cases. None supersede the right to free speech.
Anything else and since you're dispensing legal advice, answer the question and tell what states you are licensed to practice in.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh, this is the general feeling among people:

(a) His arm was never inside the vehicle, he was never dragged, and never in danger and he murdered a lady in cold blood.

(b) His arm was never SUPPOSED to be inside the vehicle, but it was, he was dragged, freed himself, and then murdered a lady in cold blood.

Either way I bet it turns out he get 6 months of paid leave and then a desk job when he gets done with his vacation.

I agree based on what's been released so far.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
LOL! The First Amendment doesn't protect defamation. (In fact, there are a lot of things that internet lawyers and keyboard Rambos *think* are "free speech" that are not protected by the First Amendment, but I digress.)

In any case, I already provided the applicable citations that make that clear.

As for your question, what makes you think you have the right to demand anything of me? I laugh in your general direction. :banana:

U mad?

No, I'm not mad. I'm having fun. Let's dance some more Mary!

I don't expect you to answer. You did exactly what I knew you would.

riverrat10k

snip It's apparent to me that, no matter who's lying, this woman has no reason to be dead. She started this whole affair by doing nothing more than sitting in her car, with no criminal history. And a system which makes such a woman dead needs to be reformed. This is apparent. And no amount of intentional distraction will divert my attention from this reality. Anything which tries to is apologia, pure and simple.

And, Raven, you've made it quite clear where you stand. You're an apologist for a broken system, which places the lives of American citizens at risk for reasons which can never justify the result.

snipQUOTE]

Priceless, marshaul. My comment earlier reflects same.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Wrong. In an ongoing investigation, the Officer and the Police Department don't say anything. Especially a couple of days after the incident. As evidence is gathered and things are cleared, then the statements are made.

I find it funny that the people with the pitchforks and torches are screaming "crucify him" "crucify him" without having a shred of evidence other than some very faulty news media reports. Yet, if they were involved in a shooting, they would demand that all the breaks go their way.

No one here has seen a shred of the physical evidence. Nadda. Nothing. The only thing that you can point to are the ramblings of a "witness" who changed his story and random speculation about "DA EVIL PAHLIZE."

If you want to talk about Occam's Razor, how much sense does it make for an officer to randomly go and execute a peaceful older woman in a parking lot, in broad daylight, for no reason at all?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Really it does.

Lizard people and FEMA camps are real too.

I'm sure he had a reason. Most of the time, people who kill others have a reason. The question is, does his reason fall under the category of "privilege, excuse, or justification"? There is a legal presumption that what he did was second-degree murder. He may well have a very good defense to that charge. I hope we'll have the chance to find out.

Last edited:

sawah

I'm sure he had a reason. Most of the time, people who kill others have a reason. The question is, does his reason fall under the category of "privilege, excuse, or justification"? There is a legal presumption that what he did was second-degree murder. He may well have a very good defense to that charge. I hope we'll have the chance to find out.

This is what people don't understand about the legal system. If you do certain crimes then you have a presumptive guilt, for which you have to have reasonable or legal justification to be let off.

Second-degree murder would be purposeful (unlike manslaughter), but not pre-meditated. Self-defense for citizens is an 'excuse'. There's a broader definition for LEOs who we give a license to kill under certain circumstances. AND, imo, this should be tightened up. Make it very hard to justify killing a suspect who is not attacking the LEO or his partner armed, with intent and capability (not just a cranky grandmother swinging a purse).

IANAL, and user is, so I'm just babbling here. :)

riverrat10k

Yeah, if he is anyone but the "mystery officer." Can't believe we don't have a name yet.

Oh, and Raven, murder is murder, by cop or anyone else. Certainly not beyond the pale based on the evidence available that murder is a possibility.

Read this again from User:

There is absolutely no question here that there's probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed and that the person who committed the crime happens to be a town police officer. He may well have a good defense, but that should be a matter for evidence at trial, in exactly the same manner as would obtain for anyone else.

This exactly. No benefit of the doubt. No doing his job crap. In fact, all officers should be held to a much higher standard than other citizens. We have given them certain powers. By accepting these powers, they must be a cut above and impecable in behavior to retain the public trust.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I suspect the color and gender of the suspect has a lot to do with your ignorant position here.

Because "people of your ilk" never engage in profiling, right? :rolleyes:

Nice try. Obviously, merely being a Sunday School teacher, or a Marine, doesn't mean someone isn't a criminal. But, until you've got evidence of a crime, that's all they are.

Would you rather me describe her as "the latent criminal whose guilt just hasn't been proved yet"?

Would that correspond more closely to your worldview? I suspect it would.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
*emphasis mine

Now that is an interesting legal factoid!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If you do certain crimes then you have a presumptive guilt, for which you have to have reasonable or legal justification to be let off.

It's not a presumption of guilt. It's the existence of undisputed facts which, absent a valid affirmative defense, necessarily make the defendant a murderer.

There is still a presumption of innocence in allowing him to make that defense.

This exactly. No benefit of the doubt. No doing his job crap. In fact, all officers should be held to a much higher standard than other citizens. We have given them certain powers. By accepting these powers, they must be a cut above and impecable in behavior to retain the public trust.

+∞

Last edited:

2a4all

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And given that the prosecutor is the son of a (retired?) VSP trooper, will he have it?

That's the thing. If there were even the slightest hint this will go to trial (as it should), I'd shut up and let the jury do their job. The cop is entitled to no less.

However, as it stands, the people have every right to be upset, and to analyze and criticize the situation.

Raven and "people of his ilk" would, I don't think I'm stretching to say, prefer to suffer neither trial by law nor by public opinion.

Too bad.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip---

In any case, I already provided the applicable citations that make that clear.

As for your question, what makes you think you have the right to demand anything of me? I laugh in your general direction. :banana:

U mad?

No sir, you did not provide a cite, you supplied the alledged source, not the specific content on which you rely. Cites are not supposed to be a search and ye shall find closet of information.

Trust that you are not laughing in the face of OCDO rules and rejoicing with your ill chosen dancing banana.

CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Also, threatening or implying threat of legal action against other posters for stating their opinions is decidedly bad form. If you feel that such is justified, do so on your own time please but not on this forum.

sawah

It's not a presumption of guilt. It's the existence of undisputed facts which, absent a valid affirmative defense, necessarily make the defendant a murderer.

There is still a presumption of innocence in allowing him to make that defense.

What you said was what I was trying to say, emphasis on the need for an affirmative defense. It's not like we don't know how she got shot and yes, at this point murdered in the second degree (depending on local statute).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
snip And, Raven, you've made it quite clear where you stand. You're an apologist for a broken system, which places the lives of American citizens at risk for reasons which can never justify the result.

I think he's a cop. Maybe a trainer. He's too handy with 4A cites. And, his question about a trespass women in a car. Both the question and the polemical style are very much like hostile cops we've seen here before.

I doubt he's an attorney. I can't see many playing his game as rudely/crudely as he's playing his.

So, the question in my mind is whether he's the cop, or somebody else in the same department? He's putting too much energy and vitriol into his posts to be merely some cop from any old department.

Which gives rise to another question. Which department does he work for? I'd really like to know which department has that sort of person in their midst.