• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They're always marked at 9:30.

I've sat in on cases that were set for 9:30 and heard at 4:00.

I expect since this is a bond hearing, it will be heard right after motions.
Momma will probably be close by because I expect she will be evaluated for an attorney and bond set.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The bond motion and opposition filed by the Commonwealth pretty much lay out the case.

Indictments

Motion for release on Bond

Commonwealth's Memo in Opposition to Bond Motion - removed due to inclusion of statutorily prohibited information that should have been redacted out prior to filing

These are public documents and have been filed with the Court.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Interesting reading. Two similar variations on what happened... with decidedly different details.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to sort all this out... :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting reading. Two similar variations on what happened... with decidedly different details.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to sort all this out... :uhoh:

I've been on a shoot for an insurance company all afternoon. Was bail granted?

mk4

duty called in charlottesville at the last moment. couldn't make it to culpeper.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Result: Defendant was admitted to bail, bond set at one hundred thousand dollars. Probably be lots of stuff on TV news this evening and print media this afternoon and tomorrow; a gaggle of newsfaces interrogated me after the hearing. It'll be interesting to see what little bits of what I said get used for the entertainment of the masses.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Result: Defendant was admitted to bail, bond set at one hundred thousand dollars. Probably be lots of stuff on TV news this evening and print media this afternoon and tomorrow; a gaggle of newsfaces interrogated me after the hearing. It'll be interesting to see what little bits of what I said get used for the entertainment of the masses.

Regardless of his being able to come up with bail, that's a big first step considering the media coverage so far!

BillB

Based on what I've heard and read so far, I'll be really impressed with Dan's skills if he can get this guy a not guilty verdict.

sawah

After listening to Dan's comments, if you look at the case in a strict legal sense, not looking at the officer's previous behavior, not looking at his past, and just looking at the exigent circumstances, I'm leaning toward it being a lawful action. The presence of the sun shield makes a huge difference, imo.

Sometimes it's difficult for the layperson to understand the legal issues and that is why we have legal representation. It does not matter that the officer had his hand in the window against policy (if so), it matters that she started to roll up the window.

I don't know if they can prove all the facts that are presented as truth, such as her cutting the wheels, resisting giving up her license, but those parts are pretty crucial.

To me the only damning fact is the LEO saying 'I'm going to lose my f-ing job'. That seems to indicate he felt he did something wrong.

FWIW.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After listening to Dan's comments, if you look at the case in a strict legal sense, not looking at the officer's previous behavior, not looking at his past, and just looking at the exigent circumstances, I'm leaning toward it being a lawful action. The presence of the sun shield makes a huge difference, imo.

Sometimes it's difficult for the layperson to understand the legal issues and that is why we have legal representation. It does not matter that the officer had his hand in the window against policy (if so), it matters that she started to roll up the window.

I don't know if they can prove all the facts that are presented as truth, such as her cutting the wheels, resisting giving up her license, but those parts are pretty crucial.

To me the only damning fact is the LEO saying 'I'm going to lose my f-ing job'. That seems to indicate he felt he did something wrong.

FWIW.

Or that he had gut feelings about repercussions - he has been suspended W/O pay, not just taken off the street and put behind a desk.

sawah

Or that he had gut feelings about repercussions - he has been suspended W/O pay, not just taken off the street and put behind a desk.

I know that cops have a hard time with being second-guessed for doing what seemed prudent at the time, and though they are given some latitude, you can't know what it was like unless you were there. So you probably have a point.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Commonwealth's Memo in Opposition to Bond Motion - removed due to inclusion of statutorily prohibited information that should have been redacted out prior to filing

Is that merely an "Oopsie" or is it indicative of other problems with the prosecution's case?

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Is that merely an "Oopsie" or is it indicative of other problems with the prosecution's case?...

Yes.

I think that Mr. Fisher was compiling the documents he thought he had to include, and was a bit rushed in doing so. He's doing this "special prosecutor" thing in addition to the job he already had, running the office of the Commonwealth's Attorney for Fauquier County, the duties of which have not diminished. So I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on stuff like that.