• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while fishing the James River and Smith Mountain Lake

thewlbiii

All,

I do a lot of fishing and cannot locate any information specific to the legality of open carrying while fishing in my kayak on the James River and Smith Mountain Lake. Does anyone have any information?

nuc65

Activist Member
All,

I do a lot of fishing and cannot locate any information specific to the legality of open carrying while fishing in my kayak on the James River and Smith Mountain Lake. Does anyone have any information?

There is a letter that allows for carry in the state parks (SML), or more correctly states that the rules shall not be enforced written by the governor. I will need to find that copy before I can say anymore. I don't know all of the James River areas to comment. A search or this site should pull up the letter, it was forwarded and posted here by Peter Nap I believe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a letter that allows for carry in the state parks (SML), or more correctly states that the rules shall not be enforced written by the governor. I will need to find that copy before I can say anymore. I don't know all of the James River areas to comment. A search or this site should pull up the letter, it was forwarded and posted here by Peter Nap I believe.

Seek and ye shall find:

mcdonnel-letter-state-parks.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did they ever repeal the VAC?

TFred

Not that I'm aware of and that brings up some question of what will happen when McDonnell goes away. I'm betting Cuccinelli will be our next Governor and he'll force the issue but needs to be reminded.

TFred

Not that I'm aware of and that brings up some question of what will happen when McDonnell goes away. I'm betting Cuccinelli will be our next Governor and he'll force the issue but needs to be reminded.
It appears it is still in place. The Governor "directed" that it be repealed through an "exempt Administrative Process", which I can only conclude must be some sort of a faster, streamlined process.

It's been over a year, sounds like someone needs to ask some questions of the director of the Department of Conservation and Recreation!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It appears it is still in place. The Governor "directed" that it be repealed through an "exempt Administrative Process", which I can only conclude must be some sort of a faster, streamlined process.

It's been over a year, sounds like someone needs to ask some questions of the director of the Department of Conservation and Recreation!

TFred

McDonnell has a pattern of throwing gun people a bone at intervals. Each time it's "Looky what I did":lol:
Depending on who he thinks will help him most, he may wait until his bid for VP, may never force the issue or back peddle altogether.

My guess is he does nothing!

riverrat10k

I always have a firearm with me on the upper James (Bent Creek down to Richmond). Usually in a drybag, though. Sometimes a transparent one. Is that OC?

Always has been some question on some State lands, for example the Hardware River Wildlife Management Area below Scottsville. I believe most of these areas are now preempted but am still unsure. Why I hate the mish-mash of the laws.

Last edited:

thewlbiii

I appreciate everyone's responses. I had seen this material before. The law doesn't seem as clear/specific as I would like for it to be, but I guess that's not uncommon. Thanks again!

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've spent the last hour researching that issue, and it is my considered opinion as a licensed attorney is that the only thing you have to worry about is making sure you have an adequate retention mechanism on your holster - if the kayak goes upside down, you don't want to lose the gun. I'd be carrying something in stainless steel, too, by the way. Oh, one thing - don't attempt to kill any deer by shooting from the boat - that's a crime in Virginia.

Last edited:

thewlbiii

Thank you so much for taking the time to research this question. A good friend of mine referred me to this site considering this question. He was right in doing so! Once again, thanks all for helping me out!