Thread: An Open Carry Story

An Open Carry Story

My lovely bride and I were in Wal Mart tonight getting a few necessaries. There was a family behind me in the check-out line and the very delightful lady noticed my pistol and asked if I was a sheriff.

The Devil rose up and I replied, "Why, no! My parents were married over a year before I was born!"

She and her husband cracked up. We then had a very nice little conversation about how OC is legal and what particular caliber/brand I was carrying. She said her husband is afraid of guns. I told her that he needs to find someone who is knowledgeable and will take him to a range. He will soon see that they are nothing but a tool, just like a hammer or saw. She pretty much agreed, but I don't think he was convinced.

Nice folks, though, and had the cutest little girl I've seen since my granddaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    The Devil rose up and I replied, "Why, no! My parents were married over a year before I was born!"
    I like your reply! It's basically the same thing I tell folks when they ask if I'm a lawyer... or policitician. Pax!
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-10-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

A question about open carry in businesses

Another SFC retired here. Carried a 45 and fired Expert my entire career- in the open in several countries -and was very surprised after returning to Sweet Home Alabama that the police here would rather you get a CW and hide the fact that you are carrying. Seems to me that they would want to know who has a weapon on them. Very strange indeed!

My question is, have you ever been told by a business (restaurant, store, etc.) that you are not allowed to bring a gun into their establishment.

Thanks.

SFCJim

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    My lovely bride and I were in Wal Mart tonight getting a few necessaries. There was a family behind me in the check-out line and the very delightful lady noticed my pistol and asked if I was a sheriff.

She and her husband cracked up. We then had a very nice little conversation about how OC is legal and what particular caliber/brand I was carrying. She said her husband is afraid of guns. I told her that he needs to find someone who is knowledgeable and will take him to a range. He will soon see that they are nothing but a tool, just like a hammer or saw. She pretty much agreed, but I don't think he was convinced.

Nice folks, though, and had the cutest little girl I've seen since my granddaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpi View Post
    Another SFC retired here. Carried a 45 and fired Expert my entire career- in the open in several countries -and was very surprised after returning to Sweet Home Alabama that the police here would rather you get a CW and hide the fact that you are carrying. Seems to me that they would want to know who has a weapon on them. Very strange indeed!

My question is, have you ever been told by a business (restaurant, store, etc.) that you are not allowed to bring a gun into their establishment.

Thanks.

SFCJim
    Not I, even when the employees thought a badge was needed to OC. I was buying an expensive item at the time so it seems customer's money wins out in at least some business' minds.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpi View Post

Thanks.

SFCJim
    Only time that has happened to me was at a Wal Mart. A female manager who apparently thought it would be fun to try to intimidate an old man. I left, but the district manager was contacted and I haven't seen her in that store since then.

Seems to be a few of us SFCs around.

Great story sarge. Going to try and remember that line you came up with.
    Carry on.