• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Open Carry Story

SFCRetired

My lovely bride and I were in Wal Mart tonight getting a few necessaries. There was a family behind me in the check-out line and the very delightful lady noticed my pistol and asked if I was a sheriff.

The Devil rose up and I replied, "Why, no! My parents were married over a year before I was born!"

She and her husband cracked up. We then had a very nice little conversation about how OC is legal and what particular caliber/brand I was carrying. She said her husband is afraid of guns. I told her that he needs to find someone who is knowledgeable and will take him to a range. He will soon see that they are nothing but a tool, just like a hammer or saw. She pretty much agreed, but I don't think he was convinced.

Nice folks, though, and had the cutest little girl I've seen since my granddaughters.

jjpi

A question about open carry in businesses

Another SFC retired here. Carried a 45 and fired Expert my entire career- in the open in several countries -and was very surprised after returning to Sweet Home Alabama that the police here would rather you get a CW and hide the fact that you are carrying. Seems to me that they would want to know who has a weapon on them. Very strange indeed!

My question is, have you ever been told by a business (restaurant, store, etc.) that you are not allowed to bring a gun into their establishment.

Thanks.

SFCJim

My lovely bride and I were in Wal Mart tonight getting a few necessaries. There was a family behind me in the check-out line and the very delightful lady noticed my pistol and asked if I was a sheriff.

The Devil rose up and I replied, "Why, no! My parents were married over a year before I was born!"

She and her husband cracked up. We then had a very nice little conversation about how OC is legal and what particular caliber/brand I was carrying. She said her husband is afraid of guns. I told her that he needs to find someone who is knowledgeable and will take him to a range. He will soon see that they are nothing but a tool, just like a hammer or saw. She pretty much agreed, but I don't think he was convinced.

Nice folks, though, and had the cutest little girl I've seen since my granddaughters.

Daylen

Another SFC retired here. Carried a 45 and fired Expert my entire career- in the open in several countries -and was very surprised after returning to Sweet Home Alabama that the police here would rather you get a CW and hide the fact that you are carrying. Seems to me that they would want to know who has a weapon on them. Very strange indeed!

My question is, have you ever been told by a business (restaurant, store, etc.) that you are not allowed to bring a gun into their establishment.

Thanks.

SFCJim

Not I, even when the employees thought a badge was needed to OC. I was buying an expensive item at the time so it seems customer's money wins out in at least some business' minds.

SFCRetired

Thanks.

SFCJim

Only time that has happened to me was at a Wal Mart. A female manager who apparently thought it would be fun to try to intimidate an old man. I left, but the district manager was contacted and I haven't seen her in that store since then.

Seems to be a few of us SFCs around.