Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative parenting: VERY effective computer grounding

Creative parenting: VERY effective computer grounding

Daughter gets in a snit, posts a nasty rant on Facebook that she thinks her parents can't see.

Bad move.

Yes, it's OC related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOCFWKFZE2M

Criminal dad...

As far as I can tell...

1. father admitted the laptop was his daughter's so... theft
    2. father read daughter's facebook page when he was not permitted... invasion of privacy
    3. father videos death of laptop... destruction of (daughter's)private property
    4. father demonstrates violent tendencies using a firearm to destroy daughter's property... (threat) domestic violence.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    As far as I can tell...

2. father read daughter's facebook page when he was not permitted... invasion of privacy
    4. father demonstrates violent tendencies using a firearm to destroy daughter's property... (threat) domestic violence.
    Making the assumption that the daughter is < 18 years of age:

Sorry georg but

Child under the age of majority....
    1:Laptop provided for her USE by parent--- not her property!
    2:Government is limited by Constitution on this NOT parents!
    3:See number 1 above
    4:No violent tendencies at all--- not out of control in any way.

I don't know that I'd have made the same exact choices as the Dad here but I stand for his right to make a stand!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

So, georg is a troll...

defends the guy who beats his daughter, yet condemns this guy.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    So, georg is a troll...

Lol. It's funny because this is an exact reversal of his previous position on parental discipline.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Lol. It's funny because this is an exact reversal of his previous position on parental discipline.
    Exact. Last time he was saying you should be able to beat your kids, now he is saying that you shouldn't be able to destroy something you allow your kids to use and call "theirs".

One of the comments said how aggressive the dad seemed to be. I got the exact opposite from this. It is a whole lot more passive than aggressive. He seemed to be calm and rational throughout the whole video.

As far as I can tell...

By the way it sounds, she is like 14.

You are funny assuming things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post

Sorry georg but

I don't know that I'd have made the same exact choices as the Dad here but I stand for his right to make a stand!
    Thank you...

So children have NO property rights from their PARENTS
    AND no privacy rights from their PARENTS
    AND no protection against threats by their PARENTS??!!!

How can this be?? What rights do children have??
    Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    So, georg is a troll...

Just making a point grasshopper.

Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Thank you...

Hey, that was sneaky! Are we now to believe that you think the father was within his authority? If so, I'll retract my previous statement.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Hey, that was sneaky! Are we now to believe that you think the father was within his authority? If so, I'll retract my previous statement.
    Most certainly he was within his authority... geezzz... the government NEVER has authority over such things.

No retraction necessary... it WAS funny.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    I can't imagine dad's measures actually solved anything.

Even if the laptop is dad's property under the law, the laptop was the kid's possession in the kid's mind, just like a toy for a little kid. This has got to be a very serious blow. Way out of proportion to posting a rant on-line. What is dad gonna do when he finds out she's telling her friends the same stuff verbally? Things kids have been saying about their parents for millenia.

There just has to be a better way. Maybe not--I don't know the kid. But, there just has to be.
    Last edited by Citizen; 02-10-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I can't imagine dad's measures actually solved anything.

Even if the laptop is dad's property under the law, the laptop was the kid's possession in the kid's mind, just like a toy for a little kid. This has got to be a very serious blow. Way out of proportion to posting a rant on-line. What is dad gonna do when he finds out she's telling her friends the same stuff verbally? Things kids have been saying about their parents for millenia.

There just has to be a better way. Maybe not--I don't know the kid. But, there just has to be.
    I definitely agree that the parent has made MANY mistakes here. If I may...

#1 This is NONE of anyone's effing business!!
    #2 Family business is NONE of anyone's effing business!!
    #3 If his child has gotten to this point. It's already his FAULT. He doesn't know what he's doing.
    #4 If you begin a proper discipline program with your child very early, rarely will things EVER get to this point.
    #5 This is NONE OF ANYONE"S BUSINESS!!! Well, except for the fact that the dad has decided it is... dumbass.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Centurion
    Thank you...

They have the very same PROTECTIONS FROM AN OVERBEARING / OVERREACHING GOVERNMENT that the parents have.
    The US FEDERAL Constitution LIMITS government actions: Specifies the LEGITIMATE functions of the federal government, states that the remaining rights/functions are RESERVED TO THE VARIOUS STATES OR THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES!

Parents are NOT THE GOVERNMENT.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

They have the very same PROTECTIONS FROM AN OVERBEARING / OVERREACHING GOVERNMENT that the parents have.
    The US FEDERAL Constitution LIMITS government actions: Specifies the LEGITIMATE functions of the federal government, states that the remaining rights/functions are RESERVED TO THE VARIOUS STATES OR THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES!

Well this is a NO $H!T moment.

Maybe I should keep this up...

So who's gonna protect the children from bad parents?!?!?!?!?
    Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 02:32 AM.

All this back-and-forth over what "rights" a parent has to dispose of property that may or may not belong to their minor child is just so much wasted hot air.

Is it possible that nobody else really cares that dad paid $1.00 per round for "exploding hollow point bullets"?!!? Most likely these http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgist...o.html&setup=1 "exploding, hollow point bullets" - at least they have taken the ninjas off the package.

Let's focus here, people. Concentrate on what's important.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Daddy ain't gunna kill facebook by shootin a laptop....funny though, thanks for the laugh.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

As far as I can tell...

Spoken like a true liberal panty waist!!!! I saw this on FB and the first thing I wondered is how long it would be until dad was jailed for "domestic terrorism" (abuse) as soon as someone from CPS saw it and labeled the dad "dangerous, violent, abusive, ect"

That is not to say I think he didn't cross the line with his theatrics... they were still hilarious.. but I do agree that he may have given off the wrong message....

Sorry georg but

Agreed... she is underage, thus cannot technically even own some of that stuff... (ie cell phone and contract, etc..) He most certainly NEEDED to make a stand... because either he wasn't doing his job, or the kid was just out of control.

Sounds like time for some tough love to me...

Thank you...

None. If my kids ever get to the point where they act as if my monitering their activities is some sort of invasion of privacy, severe consequences will result.

My GF let her kid (14) and his buddy have 2 girls over and they were upstairs in his room watching a movie WITH THE DOOR CLOSED AND UNDER BLANKETS. (this would not have happened with MY kids as I wouldn't even let them bein their rooms with girls, let alone with the door closed although she did say to them "no wet fingers, boys")

So later on, she went to check them and had to knock on the door and ***** foot around and the kid got all indignant with her for interupting them, etc... privacy...waaaaa... I told her if it was me and he acted like a little a-hole to me like that, I would promptly REMOVE THE DOOR and tell him once he learns to be respectful to me and REALLY see what no privacy is like then he can have the door back. Also, girls would be LEAVING as well as buddy and kid would be relegated to his doorless room, get his TV yanked, and be forced to READ A BOOK.

Kids these days have it WAAAAAAAAAAY too easy. TVs, computers, xbox, cell phones... all in their room. They stay in their room all the time and don't interact with the family. THey get pissy when their "privacy" is "invaded"... act like jerks because of the smallest things... Those things are PRIVILEDGES... You don't have a right to cable internet in your room. YOu don't have a right to 40" LCD in your room. You want to bitch and moan and complain about "how bad you have it" well you're about to see how bad it can get.

I have no patience for that kind of disrespect and ungratefulness from children. Not having to work for a single thing in their life, having everything their heart desires, etc... My kid's mother does that to them.... she's getting the oldest (7) a laptop for his birthday. Ridiculous. (hi honey. She reads this forum to get dirt on me) I am going to have my work cut out for me...
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 02-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

I'm not sure if it's social networking that's detrimental to people, or if it just gives psycho people another avenue to spread their crazy...

http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-defri...014442236.html

Seems to me like there are no adults in that family. They all act like kids.

I have mixed emotions about this video, which has already gone viral and I give it until tomorrow night before it's on the news countrywide. On the one hand, I want to cheer the man for making good with promised punishment regarding an unruly, ungrateful teen. We need more strict parents in this country. On the other hand, while the man did nothing wrong in disposing of his own property in a manner he saw fit, I am terrified of the anti-gun fallout this will cause. Why? Because even though she wasn't on the scene, likely nowhere near at the time, there was a child involved.
    The Dogs of War are nothing compared to the Cats

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    All this back-and-forth over what "rights" a parent has to dispose of property that may or may not belong to their minor child is just so much wasted hot air. SNIP
    The parent/child relationship is under attack from ALL directions, particularly from the government through the public school system. Somehow, the idea that the government has ANY authority to intervene in a parent/child relationship has been creeping ever so slowly into the court system. This is a government encroachment we cannot allow. If the government can get between a parent and the child, then the parent is relegated to a permitted custodian and government gets to decide how to raise the child. The danger here is obvious AND I can think of NOTHING more important.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 02-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.

But wait!! Doesn't the Declaration of Independence recognize that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Are you saying that children do no have rights?

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Spoken like a true liberal panty waist!!!! I saw this on FB and the first thing I wondered is how long it would be until dad was jailed for "domestic terrorism" (abuse) as soon as someone from CPS saw it and labeled the dad "dangerous, violent, abusive, ect"

That is not to say I think he didn't cross the line with his theatrics... they were still hilarious.. but I do agree that he may have given off the wrong message....

Agreed... she is underage, thus cannot technically even own some of that stuff... (ie cell phone and contract, etc..) He most certainly NEEDED to make a stand... because either he wasn't doing his job, or the kid was just out of control.

Sounds like time for some tough love to me...

None. If my kids ever get to the point where they act as if my monitering their activities is some sort of invasion of privacy, severe consequences will result.

My GF let her kid (14) and his buddy have 2 girls over and they were upstairs in his room watching a movie WITH THE DOOR CLOSED AND UNDER BLANKETS. (this would not have happened with MY kids as I wouldn't even let them bein their rooms with girls, let alone with the door closed although she did say to them "no wet fingers, boys")

So later on, she went to check them and had to knock on the door and ***** foot around and the kid got all indignant with her for interupting them, etc... privacy...waaaaa... I told her if it was me and he acted like a little a-hole to me like that, I would promptly REMOVE THE DOOR and tell him once he learns to be respectful to me and REALLY see what no privacy is like then he can have the door back. Also, girls would be LEAVING as well as buddy and kid would be relegated to his doorless room, get his TV yanked, and be forced to READ A BOOK.

Kids these days have it WAAAAAAAAAAY too easy. TVs, computers, xbox, cell phones... all in their room. They stay in their room all the time and don't interact with the family. THey get pissy when their "privacy" is "invaded"... act like jerks because of the smallest things... Those things are PRIVILEDGES... You don't have a right to cable internet in your room. YOu don't have a right to 40" LCD in your room. You want to bitch and moan and complain about "how bad you have it" well you're about to see how bad it can get.

I have no patience for that kind of disrespect and ungratefulness from children. Not having to work for a single thing in their life, having everything their heart desires, etc... My kid's mother does that to them.... she's getting the oldest (7) a laptop for his birthday. Ridiculous. (hi honey. She reads this forum to get dirt on me) I am going to have my work cut out for me...
    Kudos for getting those kids ready and ok with no privacy! Big Sis Napalitano would be proud and will have an easy time.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast