• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Creative parenting: VERY effective computer grounding

Kivuli

I have mixed emotions about this video, which has already gone viral and I give it until tomorrow night before it's on the news countrywide. On the one hand, I want to cheer the man for making good with promised punishment regarding an unruly, ungrateful teen. We need more strict parents in this country. On the other hand, while the man did nothing wrong in disposing of his own property in a manner he saw fit, I am terrified of the anti-gun fallout this will cause. Why? Because even though she wasn't on the scene, likely nowhere near at the time, there was a child involved.

georg jetson

All this back-and-forth over what "rights" a parent has to dispose of property that may or may not belong to their minor child is just so much wasted hot air. SNIP

The parent/child relationship is under attack from ALL directions, particularly from the government through the public school system. Somehow, the idea that the government has ANY authority to intervene in a parent/child relationship has been creeping ever so slowly into the court system. This is a government encroachment we cannot allow. If the government can get between a parent and the child, then the parent is relegated to a permitted custodian and government gets to decide how to raise the child. The danger here is obvious AND I can think of NOTHING more important.

Last edited:

georg jetson

They have the very same PROTECTIONS FROM AN OVERBEARING / OVERREACHING GOVERNMENT that the parents have.
The US FEDERAL Constitution LIMITS government actions: Specifies the LEGITIMATE functions of the federal government, states that the remaining rights/functions are RESERVED TO THE VARIOUS STATES OR THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES!

Parents are NOT THE GOVERNMENT.

But wait!! Doesn't the Declaration of Independence recognize that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Are you saying that children do no have rights?

Daylen

Spoken like a true liberal panty waist!!!! I saw this on FB and the first thing I wondered is how long it would be until dad was jailed for "domestic terrorism" (abuse) as soon as someone from CPS saw it and labeled the dad "dangerous, violent, abusive, ect"

That is not to say I think he didn't cross the line with his theatrics... they were still hilarious.. but I do agree that he may have given off the wrong message....

Agreed... she is underage, thus cannot technically even own some of that stuff... (ie cell phone and contract, etc..) He most certainly NEEDED to make a stand... because either he wasn't doing his job, or the kid was just out of control.

Sounds like time for some tough love to me...

None. :) If my kids ever get to the point where they act as if my monitering their activities is some sort of invasion of privacy, severe consequences will result.

My GF let her kid (14) and his buddy have 2 girls over and they were upstairs in his room watching a movie WITH THE DOOR CLOSED AND UNDER BLANKETS. (this would not have happened with MY kids as I wouldn't even let them bein their rooms with girls, let alone with the door closed although she did say to them "no wet fingers, boys")

So later on, she went to check them and had to knock on the door and ***** foot around and the kid got all indignant with her for interupting them, etc... privacy...waaaaa... I told her if it was me and he acted like a little a-hole to me like that, I would promptly REMOVE THE DOOR and tell him once he learns to be respectful to me and REALLY see what no privacy is like then he can have the door back. Also, girls would be LEAVING as well as buddy and kid would be relegated to his doorless room, get his TV yanked, and be forced to READ A BOOK.

Kids these days have it WAAAAAAAAAAY too easy. TVs, computers, xbox, cell phones... all in their room. They stay in their room all the time and don't interact with the family. THey get pissy when their "privacy" is "invaded"... act like jerks because of the smallest things... Those things are PRIVILEDGES... You don't have a right to cable internet in your room. YOu don't have a right to 40" LCD in your room. You want to bitch and moan and complain about "how bad you have it" well you're about to see how bad it can get.

I have no patience for that kind of disrespect and ungratefulness from children. Not having to work for a single thing in their life, having everything their heart desires, etc... My kid's mother does that to them.... she's getting the oldest (7) a laptop for his birthday. Ridiculous. (hi honey. She reads this forum to get dirt on me) I am going to have my work cut out for me... :D

Kudos for getting those kids ready and ok with no privacy! Big Sis Napalitano would be proud and will have an easy time.

georg jetson

Spoken like a true liberal panty waist!!!! I saw this on FB and the first thing I wondered is how long it would be until dad was jailed for "domestic terrorism" (abuse) as soon as someone from CPS saw it and labeled the dad "dangerous, violent, abusive, ect"

That is not to say I think he didn't cross the line with his theatrics... they were still hilarious.. but I do agree that he may have given off the wrong message....

Agreed... she is underage, thus cannot technically even own some of that stuff... (ie cell phone and contract, etc..) He most certainly NEEDED to make a stand... because either he wasn't doing his job, or the kid was just out of control.

Sounds like time for some tough love to me...

None. :) If my kids ever get to the point where they act as if my monitering their activities is some sort of invasion of privacy, severe consequences will result.

My GF let her kid (14) and his buddy have 2 girls over and they were upstairs in his room watching a movie WITH THE DOOR CLOSED AND UNDER BLANKETS. (this would not have happened with MY kids as I wouldn't even let them bein their rooms with girls, let alone with the door closed although she did say to them "no wet fingers, boys")

So later on, she went to check them and had to knock on the door and ***** foot around and the kid got all indignant with her for interupting them, etc... privacy...waaaaa... I told her if it was me and he acted like a little a-hole to me like that, I would promptly REMOVE THE DOOR and tell him once he learns to be respectful to me and REALLY see what no privacy is like then he can have the door back. Also, girls would be LEAVING as well as buddy and kid would be relegated to his doorless room, get his TV yanked, and be forced to READ A BOOK.

Kids these days have it WAAAAAAAAAAY too easy. TVs, computers, xbox, cell phones... all in their room. They stay in their room all the time and don't interact with the family. THey get pissy when their "privacy" is "invaded"... act like jerks because of the smallest things... Those things are PRIVILEDGES... You don't have a right to cable internet in your room. YOu don't have a right to 40" LCD in your room. You want to bitch and moan and complain about "how bad you have it" well you're about to see how bad it can get.

I have no patience for that kind of disrespect and ungratefulness from children. Not having to work for a single thing in their life, having everything their heart desires, etc... My kid's mother does that to them.... she's getting the oldest (7) a laptop for his birthday. Ridiculous. (hi honey. She reads this forum to get dirt on me) I am going to have my work cut out for me... :D

So you see a problem with the government intervening in family affairs?

Would you consider whipping your child on the a$$ if the disrespect continued?

Jack House

I'm surprised by the number of people misinterpreting George's post. I knew exactly what he meant from the get-go.

Then again, I tend to thrive on subtlety. This should not be confused as me claiming to always be subtle, which I certainly am not. ;)

Last edited:

KYKevin

I think what scares me the most is that at the end. The only way the father could make his point is to pull out a weapon and blow the computer away. Really? Is this how you solve issues with children? Not to mention while the laptop is his, he is not too bright destroying something that costs that much and all the while complaining about the cost of the rounds he is shooting.

You don't deal with your child by taking the issue to the world. He just wants other people to help justify what he is doing. Keep it in the family. So she posted it to all her friends. Who else can kids complain too. We all did it when we were young. Yeah you got your feelings hurt bud. Man up. It is not going to be the last time. She may not have her laptop to post any more but I can only see this family issue escalating and getting worse.

Don't get me wrong. I can understand the fathers anger. No one likes it when their child rebels. But acting like a child is not going to fix it. Someone has to be the adult and rise about the situation and reason the issue out. Posting on her facebook! Seriously? Oh look so and so said this. I am gonna say that. Sadly in the end I am afraid daddy is gonna lose out on the public opinion poll with the world. That is one video that should not have been made.

To be quite honest pulling your weapon out and firing it even at an inanimate object to make a point scares the hell out of me. I would personally take it as an implied threat. Please tell me he is not from the great state of Kentucky?

I am surprised everyone seems ok with what he did with his weapon. Not a proper way to act for anyone who oc's. Whenever I have my weapon on me I always remember no matter what happens to always try remain calm and objective.

Last edited:

MamabearCali

Would I have done as he did--probably not. However sometimes desperet times call for desperet measures. Kids can be bull-headed and perhaps this wake up call is what that dad knew she needed. Was it dramatic, yep, but so was her disobedience. As for safety, It was on the ground, on his property no chance of a stray bullet.

Quite honestly the little lady is lucky that she has such a measured father. He simply destroyed his own property and her access to the Internet. Had it been a generation ago and she had posted such nonsense on a school message board her hind end would have been in danger. As it stands she is out one computer and got to feel some of the humiliation she had caused her family. Harsh, perhaps. Would I do the same--I don't know about the video, or the killing of the laptop, but that laptop would have been removed from the childs use for a long time coming.

SovereignAxe

I, for one, thought the video was HIGHlarious. The guy seems like he's not struggling to pay that $130 for the software or the $1/r .45 ammo, so if he wants to shoot up the $800+ laptop to make a point, he should go right ahead.

Sure he could have sold it to recoup his losses, but IMO he sent his daughter a pretty clear message. He doesn't mind spending all this money on her because he loves her-nor does he mind losing the money because he can. The loss will hit her especially hard because she doesn't have a job and is choosing not to show appreciation for all that he provides.

Beretta92FSLady

Thank you...

So children have NO property rights from their PARENTS
AND no privacy rights from their PARENTS
AND no protection against threats by their PARENTS??!!!

How can this be?? What rights do children have??

I do not agree with how the father went about it but in answer to your above examples of Rights, the answer is NO; with the exception of the latter but I should point out that it didn't seem like the father was threatening her, just disposing of her laptop in a fashion that is more aggressive than merely chucking it into the trash.

Under certain circumstance children ought to have privacy Rights but that does not extend to a public forum such as Facebook. To argue Privacy in regard to Facebook is nonsense since Facebook is inherently a public domain.

georg jetson

I do not agree with how the father went about it but in answer to your above examples of Rights, the answer is NO; with the exception of the latter but I should point out that it didn't seem like the father was threatening her, just disposing of her laptop in a fashion that is more aggressive than merely chucking it into the trash.

NO? As in they should have no rights in relationship to their parents?

With regards to the latter, a child should have a right NOT to be threatened by a parent?

Under certain circumstance children ought to have privacy Rights but that does not extend to a public forum such as Facebook. To argue Privacy in regard to Facebook is nonsense since Facebook is inherently a public domain.

A privacy right? From their parents? How would that work?

Beretta92FSLady

NO? As in they should have no rights in relationship to their parents?

With regards to the latter, a child should have a right NOT to be threatened by a parent?

A privacy right? From their parents? How would that work?

You are associating privacy with threat as if each compose some monolithic thing. No person has a right to not be threaten; a person has a right to be protected from threats--there is a difference. I am not stating that children ought to have no rights within the parent/child dynamic.

Children have zero rights to privacy from their parents. If a parent can access private information regarding their child, the parent has absolute right over the acquisition of that information. The parent is the Authority over that child, that is, unless the parent shows that they are a danger to the child.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So, how is she supposed to see the video if her dad destroyed her laptop?

The guy's got some serious issues. Most kids have similar views of their parents at least some point in their young lives. Destroying their physical property is, psychologically speaking, a bit out to lunch.

You want to damage your kids? This is one way to do it...

JoeSparky

Centurion
So, how is she supposed to see the video if her dad destroyed her laptop?

The guy's got some serious issues. Most kids have similar views of their parents at least some point in their young lives. Destroying their physical property is, psychologically speaking, a bit out to lunch.

You want to damage your kids? This is one way to do it...

Oh, her friends will show her.... GUARANTEED!

1911 Enthusiast

This wasn't worth the time it took to watch the vid. He'd be better served acquiring some decent parenting skills.

Like maybe participating in some activities which his daughter is interested in and where he can actually have a rational interchange of ideas with her.

sawah

I think a case could be made that by shooting her property and with his in your face style he meant to show he was shooting his daughter by proxy.

As his kid that would be my thought. 'OMG, my dad considers a firearm a solution to misbehavior, guess I'm next'.

He's clearly out of control.

PistolPackingMomma

I think a case could be made that by shooting her property and with his in your face style he meant to show he was shooting his daughter by proxy.

As his kid that would be my thought. 'OMG, my dad considers a firearm a solution to misbehavior, guess I'm next'.

He's clearly out of control.

If I take a paper target with the silhouette of a human being on it to the range and unload a box of ammo on it, am I, by proxy, meaning to shoot a person next?

The solution was getting rid of the laptop; the gun was merely the means to accomplish that. It would be no different if he'd stomped on the screen with his boot, or taken a hammer to it.

My FFL and good friend always takes his old, useless electronics out to his backyard and shoots them. :eek:

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Years ago there was a kerfluffle over the silhouettes on a B-27 target being black. Smurfs being a voiceless minority allowed the printers to offer Smurf-blue B-27 targets.