• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun tax proposed in Illinois

RANDYT

The mayor of Chicago is pushing a bill that would require a $65 registration fee on all handguns in Illinois. All Illinois residents need to contact there reps to stop this BS.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

While I have only glanced at the Rahm Illinois news, I have not seen his proposal of another state tax. Can you provide a credible source citation please?

MarkD51

Rahm Emanuel couldn't run a bicycle shop.

Time for Illinois to implement some new gun legislation at the state level, in which no city or county within the state can change-overrule those laws, or face litigation.

Then let Chicago seceed from that state, and with it, loss of all state funding, and all other perks.

XD9mmFMJ

Rahm Emanuel is a criminal infiltrator who should be hung for treason for suggesting such a thing. What do you expect from someone who's parents are part of a terrorist organization?

DangerClose

I don't understand how registration cards to be able to own guns is even legal. If I don't renew my state registration, they take all my guns away? That doesn't sound constitutional at all. It's basically a poll tax on the Second Amendment.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't understand how registration cards to be able to own guns is even legal. If I don't renew my state registration, they take all my guns away? That doesn't sound constitutional at all. It's basically a poll tax on the Second Amendment.

"Reasonable restrictions" for the purpose of gun control have nothing to do with guns and everything to do with control.

The real problem I see with this is that if it passes, in a year they are going to need to pass some new law "adjusting" how the renewal deadline is calculated so some Chicago alderman does not end up violating the law.

stay safe.

RANDYT

Rahm Emanuel couldn't run a bicycle shop.

Time for Illinois to implement some new gun legislation at the state level, in which no city or county within the state can change-overrule those laws, or face litigation.

Then let Chicago seceed from that state, and with it, loss of all state funding, and all other perks.

A bill has been proposed to preempt home rule authority, and override the registration and permitting requirement of chicago to bring it in line with the rest of the state.

ken243

IMO this can be defeated easily. The SCOTUS has ruled on very similar grounds;

JONES v. CITY OF OPELIKA, 319 U.S. 105 (1943)

Murdock v Pennsylvania

IMO again, even CPL's can and should be defeated by citing this case. Either way any POS that passes such a law the infringes upon the Constitution should be put on trial and punished for such a crime.:cuss: