• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have a list of local ordinance that ban oc in michigan

rvd4now

jail

how is it jails can ban guns.. i often vist my friend thats in the hvcc and i have to leave my gun in the car..

Now truely i have no problem with this but, i wanted to know if there was a law saying that i have to disarm

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The MSP law says an ordinance can ban carrying a weapon if specificaly authorized by state law.

Hows that work?
Yes they did and in the next update they corrected their mistake, this once again is why we don't ask police to explain the law. They sometimes are wrong.

There was one arrest for OC in Grand Haven about 4 years ago. They tried to enforce their illegal ordinance. When it was explained to them, they dropped the charged and got sued. A settlement was reached. I'm not aware of any since then as the word has gotten out and most departments know OC is legal, thanks to MOC, Inc and other OC supporters.

xmanhockey7

how is it jails can ban guns.. i often vist my friend thats in the hvcc and i have to leave my gun in the car..

Now truely i have no problem with this but, i wanted to know if there was a law saying that i have to disarm

I could be wrong but I think this law would prevent you from doing it. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(45...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-800-283

(3) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the correctional facility, a weapon or other implement which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or in assisting a prisoner to escape from imprisonment, shall not be brought into or onto any correctional facility.

It would seem to me based on this law it may be illegal to carry a gun even into the area which the general public is allowed. But IANAL and I could very well be wrong.

Venator

I could be wrong but I think this law would prevent you from doing it. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(45...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-800-283

It would seem to me based on this law it may be illegal to carry a gun even into the area which the general public is allowed. But IANAL and I could very well be wrong.
Thats for a prison. But you can't bring a gun into the jail area of a local lock-up. You can have one in the public area of a county jail, unless it's attached to a court and they use that as an excuse to ban firearms from the entire complex.

xmanhockey7

Thats for a prison. But you can't bring a gun into the jail area of a local lock-up. You can have one in the public area of a county jail, unless it's attached to a court and they use that as an excuse to ban firearms from the entire complex.

Do you know what law prohibits it in a jail?

eastmeyers

Im from the eastside of the state, id mainly be ocing in the subburbs just north of eight mile road.

The officers in these cites that border Detroit are very finicky and love to bug anyone for anything they can.

I have been OCing just north (and south) or 8 mile for 4 and a half years!!! From Novi to Eastpoint on a somewhat daily basis, as far as the 8 Mile corador goes on the North side. I live in Hazel Park. I OC 95%+ of the time in the summer, and about 20% - 25% of the time in the winter. I have only EVER had 1 LEO encounter, and that was OC w/CPL in a PFZ, which turned out with an appologie to me.

Venator

Do you know what law prohibits it in a jail?

Maybe this?
801.262 Prohibited acts; weapons.Sec. 2.
(1) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Bring into a jail or a building appurtenant to a jail, or onto the grounds used for jail purposes, for the use or benefit of a prisoner, any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(b) Sell or furnish to a prisoner, or dispose of in a manner that allows a prisoner access to the weapon or other item, any weapon or other item which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(2) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a prisoner shall not possess or have under his or her control any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.

GlockIt

Alot of good info here, thanks alot guys by reading from this site I have gained alot of insight.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Maybe this?
801.262 Prohibited acts; weapons.Sec. 2.
(1) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Bring into a jail or a building appurtenant to a jail, or onto the grounds used for jail purposes, for the use or benefit of a prisoner, any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(b) Sell or furnish to a prisoner, or dispose of in a manner that allows a prisoner access to the weapon or other item, any weapon or other item which may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.
(2) Unless authorized by the chief administrator of the jail, a prisoner shall not possess or have under his or her control any weapon or other item that may be used to injure a prisoner or other person, or used to assist a prisoner in escaping from jail.

I dont think so. Looks like to me that only applies if you have it to give to a prisoner to use.

fozzy71

Im from the eastside of the state, id mainly be ocing in the subburbs just north of eight mile road.

The officers in these cites that border Detroit are very finicky and love to bug anyone for anything they can.

2 years of OC for me in Roseville/Eastpointe and I only had a couple of consensual LEO interactions due to MWAG calls in summer of 2010. It has been nearly 18 months since the last interaction but I still never leave the house without my recorder. I OC 99% of the time (not counting my new BUG) but I work from home so I don't get out and about like some of the other's that OC over here.

GlockIt

2 years of OC for me in Roseville/Eastpointe and I only had a couple of consensual LEO interactions due to MWAG calls in summer of 2010. It has been nearly 18 months since the last interaction but I still never leave the house without my recorder. I OC 99% of the time (not counting my new BUG) but I work from home so I don't get out and about like some of the other's that OC over here.

I would have thought for sure eastpointe would be all over people for oc.

I was once sitting in the parking lot next to burger king eating my food I got from there,
watching them pull people over on eightmile. As soon as I pulled out of the lot I was promptly
stoped. The reason, I was parked in a known drug location was ran and let go.

fozzy71

I was once sitting in the parking lot next to burger king eating my food I got from there,
watching them pull people over on eightmile. As soon as I pulled out of the lot I was promptly

I think that the current MOC VP lives in Eastpointe. OC is legal, drugs aren't. ;)

B

Bikenut

So merely being parked in a known drug location all by itself with no other suspicious indicators is legal reasonable and articulable suspicion of committing a crime that enables police to stop folks?

That is disturbing to me. Very disturbing.