• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charles Steger (VA Tech President) Dismissed as Defendent in VA Tech Shooting Suit

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I saw this, but decided not to post it.

Cho is dead, and now Steger is off the hook. The top two criminals responsible for 32 deaths will both avoid prosecution or penalty.

TFred

You and I agree TFred.

I'd like to hear User's take on how this might affect his conclusion of how he would have addressed the case regarding the culpability of the university and it's self defense policies and how this conclusion might have affected his hypothetical case.

Ric in Richmond

Cho is dead, and now Steger is off the hook. The top two criminals responsible for 32 deaths will both avoid prosecution or penalty.

TFred

Amazing how easy that blood washed off eh Charles? Know that you will live with your failure to protect those kids and their blood is directly linked to your incompetence.

No money for VT until Steger and crew from that era is gone and recognition of state laws on campus is accomplished.

Class of 1987.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't seen any of the pleadings in the case, so I have no idea what's going on in the litigation. It has been my position since the time it happened, though, that because the University actively prohibited those students, staff, and faculty who might have otherwise been in lawful possession of the means of self defense, the failure to actively protect each of the persons shot was negligence. The University assumed the highest possible duty to the students, in particular, and negligently breached that duty, and that breach of duty was the proximate and efficient cause of the student's deaths and injuries. Moreover, since the decision boiled down ultimately to a question of money (the cost of actively protecting each classroom), that negligence was willful, intentional, and malicious. The University made a conscious decision not to spend the money on armed guards sufficient to keep the students safe, and that decision cost those students their lives. That's a basis for punitive damages.

In advancing that argument, some attorneys have argued that it would be necessary to show that there was at least one person who would have actually been armed that day. Assuming they're right, I'm guessing that wouldn't be too hard to do at Va. Tech.

By the way, my number 3 kid is a graduate of their business school, so they keep sending me requests for money. I tell them not one cent for them as long as they're actively putting the lives of students in danger.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for opining user. If you get the opportunity to look at what has resulted from the case at some point, please let us know your thoughts. I look forward to the opportunity to see exactly what was used for the dismissal of Steger from this particular lawsuit.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I haven't seen any of the pleadings in the case, so I have no idea what's going on in the litigation. It has been my position since the time it happened, though, that because the University actively prohibited those students, staff, and faculty who might have otherwise been in lawful possession of the means of self defense, the failure to actively protect each of the persons shot was negligence. The University assumed the highest possible duty to the students, in particular, and negligently breached that duty, and that breach of duty was the proximate and efficient cause of the student's deaths and injuries. Moreover, since the decision boiled down ultimately to a question of money (the cost of actively protecting each classroom), that negligence was willful, intentional, and malicious. The University made a conscious decision not to spend the money on armed guards sufficient to keep the students safe, and that decision cost those students their lives. That's a basis for punitive damages.

+100

In advancing that argument, some attorneys have argued that it would be necessary to show that there was at least one person who would have actually been armed that day. Assuming they're right, I'm guessing that wouldn't be too hard to do at Va. Tech.

It would be trivial. I have no doubt whatsoever.

The funniest thing about the anti-gunners attraction to VA Tech is how obvious it is that none of them have ever spent more than an afternoon in Blacksburg or the surrounding areas. They assume that, if it's a university, it must be like whatever pantywaist urbanite (thanks, Sonora Rebel) school they went to in California or the Northeast or wherever. But it's not. At all. Like that.

USNA69

I was just thinking .....

.... which is often a dangerous thing.

I suspect that VT requires each student, faculty and staff to sign a document as a condition of attendance or employment in which they agree not to possess a firearm on campus.

In a just world, each student, faculty and staff should demand that VT sign a document agreeing to accept civil (and perhaps criminal) liability for any death or injuries caused by a firearm and occurring on campus.

Make 'em put their money where there mouth is. If VT is so certain that their firearm prohibition is airtight and that is there is no possiblity of a gun related death or injury on campus, then they should have no misgivings about signing such a document.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip--- The University made a conscious decision not to spend the money..................

Once again follow the money.

Add a measure of illogical emotion, a scoop of holier than thou, and a pinch of deceit - whip vigorously to a froth and pour onto hot skillet. Result is a dish suitable for none who are being force to swallow this tripe. Way too much time spent in the kitchen -throw the results in the trash and serve up what they most deserve.........the freedom to choose.

Academic integrity? Intellectual honesty? Responsible leadership? Moral stewardship? Higher learning? :banghead:

Old Virginia Joe

I'm class of '84 there. I believe there would have been no trouble "to show that there was at least one person who would have actually been armed that day." If no others, then a good number of the camo-clad young men from my old College of Agriculture and my agriculture fraternity there on Route 460 would be likely, many of them farm boys from the western part of the state. Same with some of the forestry school guys. Probably not much different today. Even myself, back then, had to keep my pistol locked in my foot locker in my room . . . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm class of '84 there. I believe there would have been no trouble "to show that there was at least one person who would have actually been armed that day." If no others, then a good number of the camo-clad young men from my old College of Agriculture and my agriculture fraternity there on Route 460 would be likely, many of them farm boys from the western part of the state. Same with some of the forestry school guys. Probably not much different today. Even myself, back then, had to keep my pistol locked in my foot locker in my room . . . .

That undoubtedly made for a safer footlocker - fortunately it did not escape on its own and bring chaos/mayhem across the campus. :p

Repeater

Judge urges settlement in Va. Tech shootings case

Judge urges settlement in Va. Tech shootings case
Negligence claims against the state for Virginia Tech's handling of the April 16, 2007, shootings may go to a jury in March, but the judge in the case is urging the parties to settle out of court.

Special Justice William Alexander denied Tuesday a lawyer's request to reconsider the dismissal of Virginia Tech President Charles Steger from two $10 million wrongful death lawsuits brought by the estates of slain students Erin Peterson and Julia Pryde.

The dismissal of Steger is significant because it changes the nature of the case, which has dragged on since it was filed on the second anniversary of the shootings.

At Alexander's urging Tuesday, Tech's lawyers and Hall agreed to resume settlement talks that had previously come to a stalemate.

Rehashing the tragic events of that day at a trial "hurts everybody. It hurts Tech. It hurts everybody," Alexander said. "This case needs to be settled."

Deputy Attorney General Wes Russell told the judge that the state would consider offering the plaintiffs settlement payouts and terms similar to those accepted by 28 other families of those killed. Those families settled in 2008 for $100,000 from the state and a series of private meetings with university and state officials in exchange for a pledge not to sue.

I hope there is no settlement. I don't care if it hurts Tech or not. They brought this on themselves.

MSC 45ACP

I spoke to a student at ODU recently who told me they knew of fellow students that regularly CC'd there.
There are still a few courageous students there in spite of the school's refusal to protect the students.
They carry with the knowledge they face expulsion if caught, but they are willing to take that chance to defend themselves if necessary. Let us keep them in our thoughts and prayers daily as they go about their daily lives...

mk4

and i know of similar at uva.
agree that we need to keep these people in our thoughts and prayers as they stand for what's right.