Thread: OC of spare mags in a "posted" area

OC of spare mags in a "posted" area

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I did a search and came up empty.

I have seen, somewhere, that an empty holster is permissible even in a "posted GFZ" area, but couldn't find anything that stated what the rules would be surrounding spare mags/speedloaders.

Again, please forgive me if it has been answered. If necessary, you can just respond in a PM and delete the thread!!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764.

Founder's Club Member
    ThunderRanch I think it would fully depend on the situation at hand. Is the GFZ one in which there is existing statute forbids carry or simply a matter of a private GFZ? If the GFZ is a result of statute, the statute should be clear about what may be prohibited. If the GFZ is as a result of a sign or other posting, I'd look at the posting to see how detailed it is and what specifically is forbidden.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 02-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.

It's a GFZ. Nothing says you cannot have a holster, ammo, or other "stuff" unless (like the gun shows and courts) they specify no ammo.

If they want to keep ammo as well as guns out they need to say so. What's the Latin quoted so often by User that if it aint in there they must not have intended to deal with it?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

AFAIK OCing ammo and an empty holster is AOK except in a courthouse. The Code specifically IDs ammo as verboten in a courthouse and treats ammo the same as a gun. I've done this myself several times when picking up my son from school in full view of the SRO with no comments or problems.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 02-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Not quite the same, but I have a friend with a son at Varina High School. He was suspended for having a shotgun or rifle cartridge in his car, in the school parking lot. Will try to find out details as to how it was seen and the rational for his suspension.

If you are carrying loaded magazines but no gun, just be careful not to "cross the moat" into DC. possession of "unregistered" handgun ammo in DC is a misdemeanor, with one charge for EACH ROUND of up to $1000 fine and up to 1 year in prison...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 02-11-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I appreciate the response and info. I had pretty much assumed what you have confirmed.....if it's not specifically addressed, it isn't prohibited......but wanted the learned opinion of the good folk here!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764.

Why would anyone want to carry spare mags / speedloaders in a restricted area if he / she couldn't carry a handgun into said area?
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Why would anyone want to carry spare mags / speedloaders in a restricted area if he / she couldn't carry a handgun into said area?

Some of us are willing to "make a statement". Others of us just cannot spare the time to divest ourselves of all the things that might create PSH.

Take you pick of which answer makes you feel better.

BTW - do you pay more to the IRS than the amount indicated when you do all the math on the 1040 forms?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

BTW - do you pay more to the IRS than the amount indicated when you do all the math on the 1040 forms?

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Some of us are willing to "make a statement". Others of us just cannot spare the time to divest ourselves of all the things that might create PSH.

Take you pick of which answer makes you feel better.

stay safe.
    I don't see how your question is relevant to the question I asked; but thanks for your response about how some are "making a statement" by carrying around their ammo even though there's no firearm on their person to use it in.

Cheers.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Whose business might that be?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I don't see how your question is relevant to the question

I don't see how your question is relevant to the question I asked; but thanks for your response about how some are "making a statement" by carrying around their ammo even though there's no firearm on their person to use it in.

Cheers.
    The sign says "no guns". It does not say "no ammunition" or "no holsters" or "no belts" or anything else. So why divest yourself of anything that is not compulsory to be divested? In the same vein, the IRS sets out tables telling you what amount of taxes you must pay. Would you willingly pay additional taxes because you are required to pay a certain amount compulsarily?

Didn't think so. But you seem willing to divest yourself of other gun-related stuff just because there is a sign that says "no guns".

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Whose business might that be?
    It was just a question, sir.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    It was just a question, sir.
    Simple answer: Because its convenient, they are my personal property, there is no reason to leave them somewhere they might be stolen.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.