• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC of spare mags in a "posted" area

ThunderRanch

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I did a search and came up empty.

I have seen, somewhere, that an empty holster is permissible even in a "posted GFZ" area, but couldn't find anything that stated what the rules would be surrounding spare mags/speedloaders.

Again, please forgive me if it has been answered. If necessary, you can just respond in a PM and delete the thread!!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
ThunderRanch I think it would fully depend on the situation at hand. Is the GFZ one in which there is existing statute forbids carry or simply a matter of a private GFZ? If the GFZ is a result of statute, the statute should be clear about what may be prohibited. If the GFZ is as a result of a sign or other posting, I'd look at the posting to see how detailed it is and what specifically is forbidden.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's a GFZ. Nothing says you cannot have a holster, ammo, or other "stuff" unless (like the gun shows and courts) they specify no ammo.

If they want to keep ammo as well as guns out they need to say so. What's the Latin quoted so often by User that if it aint in there they must not have intended to deal with it?

stay safe.

paramedic70002

AFAIK OCing ammo and an empty holster is AOK except in a courthouse. The Code specifically IDs ammo as verboten in a courthouse and treats ammo the same as a gun. I've done this myself several times when picking up my son from school in full view of the SRO with no comments or problems.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Not quite the same, but I have a friend with a son at Varina High School. He was suspended for having a shotgun or rifle cartridge in his car, in the school parking lot. Will try to find out details as to how it was seen and the rational for his suspension.

Dreamer

If you are carrying loaded magazines but no gun, just be careful not to "cross the moat" into DC. possession of "unregistered" handgun ammo in DC is a misdemeanor, with one charge for EACH ROUND of up to $1000 fine and up to 1 year in prison...

Last edited:

ThunderRanch

I appreciate the response and info. I had pretty much assumed what you have confirmed.....if it's not specifically addressed, it isn't prohibited......but wanted the learned opinion of the good folk here!

MilProGuy

Why would anyone want to carry spare mags / speedloaders in a restricted area if he / she couldn't carry a handgun into said area?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why would anyone want to carry spare mags / speedloaders in a restricted area if he / she couldn't carry a handgun into said area?

Some of us are willing to "make a statement". Others of us just cannot spare the time to divest ourselves of all the things that might create PSH.

Take you pick of which answer makes you feel better.

BTW - do you pay more to the IRS than the amount indicated when you do all the math on the 1040 forms?

stay safe.

MilProGuy

Some of us are willing to "make a statement". Others of us just cannot spare the time to divest ourselves of all the things that might create PSH.

Take you pick of which answer makes you feel better.

BTW - do you pay more to the IRS than the amount indicated when you do all the math on the 1040 forms?

stay safe.

I don't see how your question is relevant to the question I asked; but thanks for your response about how some are "making a statement" by carrying around their ammo even though there's no firearm on their person to use it in.

Cheers.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't see how your question is relevant to the question

va-thing.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't see how your question is relevant to the question I asked; but thanks for your response about how some are "making a statement" by carrying around their ammo even though there's no firearm on their person to use it in.

Cheers.

The sign says "no guns". It does not say "no ammunition" or "no holsters" or "no belts" or anything else. So why divest yourself of anything that is not compulsory to be divested? In the same vein, the IRS sets out tables telling you what amount of taxes you must pay. Would you willingly pay additional taxes because you are required to pay a certain amount compulsarily?

Didn't think so. But you seem willing to divest yourself of other gun-related stuff just because there is a sign that says "no guns".

stay safe.