• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ken's Cops: carry guns, arrest citizens, what's next?

Repeater

Ken's Cops proposal alarms state Capitol
By: Jeff E. Schapiro | jschapiro@timesdispatch.com
Published: February 08, 2012 Updated: February 08, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Ken Cuccinelli is a skeptic on climate change. But his proposal to, in effect, create a police department within the attorney general's office is raising the temperature on Capitol Square.

"It's turf, turf, turf," Cuccinelli said of the opposition.

The Republican wants the legislature to allow the 40 investigators in his 83-member Medicaid fraud division to carry guns. They would be issued badges of Cuccinelli's design and — while snooping into misuse of health-care dollars by doctors and nursing homes or abuse of patients — they would watch for, as the bill puts it, "other violations of the laws of the commonwealth."

The sheriffs don't like it; nor do state police. The former, who are independently elected and powers in their own right, aren't afraid to say so. The latter, with a tradition of independence but accountable to the governor and the AG — in this case, that's the aspiring governor — aren't saying anything publicly.

To Cuccinelli, the proposal is about common sense.

To Cuccinelli's critics, the proposal is about his self-importance.

They say it's empire-building, a poke at local and state police, and a weapon, controlled by the attorney general, against political foes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I sure don't know what the uproar is about.

The SCC Motor Carrier Division has it's own Cops.
The State Department of Commerce has it's own Cops.
The DMV has it's own Cops.
DGIF has it's own and in fact the Biologists have arrest powers.

Everybody has their own Cops why can't Cuccinelli?

VApatriot

Is this sarcasm, or do you actual support this?

While I haven't seen the bill (is there one?) or heard anything else about this, I think that I would be likely to support it, at least on one level. I firmly oppose anything that creates separate classes (such as CC without a permit for off duty CAs), but I think that making the means of self-defense available to state employees while they are on the clock is a good thing. This could potentially be a stepping stone to freeing all qualified government employees to carry as they go about their daily work. I think that most of use would support that, just so long as our right to carry is equal respected as we go about our daily lives.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Is this sarcasm, or do you actual support this?

While I haven't seen the bill (is there one?) or heard anything else about this, I think that I would be likely to support it, at least on one level. I firmly oppose anything that creates separate classes (such as CC without a permit for off duty CAs), but I think that making the means of self-defense available to state employees while they are on the clock is a good thing. This could potentially be a stepping stone to freeing all qualified government employees to carry as they go about their daily work. I think that most of use would support that, just so long as our right to carry is equal respected as we go about our daily lives.

I think the objection is to the fact that the guns are not necessarily for just self-defense. The guns would come with arrest powers and badges. The investigators would also be looking for violations onlaw other than those related to their mandate. I have no problem with them carrying on the job for the purposes of self-defense, just not all that other crap.

VApatriot

I think the objection is to the fact that the guns are not necessarily for just self-defense. The guns would come with arrest powers and badges. The investigators would also be looking for violations onlaw other than those related to their mandate. I have no problem with them carrying on the job for the purposes of self-defense, just not all that other crap.

The devil is in the details, and, again, I haven't seen the proposed legislation, but the brief report didn't mention arrest/police powers. Maybe I am over simplify it and only seeing the bit of good. Can you blame a guy for wanting to believe that the government would, for just once, do something because it is actually right, rather than just because it is right for them?

Repeater

The real objection is that these civilians become legally capable of sidestepping the "permitting" process, via Section 18.2-308(C), that most everyone else is forced to submit to -- all the perks without the permits.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I was serious!
Nearly every division of the state has it's own mini police department. I don't like a cop on ever corner but if ant Office should have one, The AG's office should be it.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The real objection is that these civilians become legally capable of sidestepping the "permitting" process, via Section 18.2-308(C), that most everyone else is forced to submit to -- all the perks without the permits.

Yes, indeed and I concur. It looks like there are now at least two valid objections to this potential action.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I was serious!
Nearly every division of the state has it's own mini police department. I don't like a cop on ever corner but if ant Office should have one, The AG's office should be it.

I stand corrected. Sneaky you. That is not a position that I would expect you to take.

Repeater

The devil is in the details, and, again, I haven't seen the proposed legislation, but the brief report didn't mention arrest/police powers. Maybe I am over simplify it and only seeing the bit of good. Can you blame a guy for wanting to believe that the government would, for just once, do something because it is actually right, rather than just because it is right for them?

See here:
§ 32.1-320.1. Powers and duties of unit investigators.

A. The Attorney General may designate persons in the unit established pursuant to § 32.1-320 as investigators, and any individual designated as an investigator shall be sworn to enforce the provisions of this article and the criminal laws of the Commonwealth, and shall be a law-enforcement officer as defined in § 9.1-101. The powers and duties of such investigators shall include but not be limited to:

1. The authority to investigate all allegations of fraud in the administration of the State Plan for Medical Assistance administered by the Department of Medical Assistance Services, the provision of medical assistance, or the activities of providers of medical assistance under the State Plan for Medical Assistance;

2. The authority to investigate allegations of abuse or neglect of adults, misappropriation of a patient's private funds while the patient is in the care and custody of others, and other violations of the laws of the Commonwealth;

3. The authority to seize evidence of crimes other than those included within subsections 1 and 2 that the investigators may discover while investigating allegations included within subsections 1 and 2, and to transfer such evidence to other local, state, or federal law-enforcement officers.

B. The Director of the Department of Criminal Justice Services may waive the requirement for successful completion of the law-enforcement certification examination based upon an investigator's previous law-enforcement experience, training, and employment as a law-enforcement officer for a local, state, or federal government. However, no such waiver shall be granted to persons having less than five continuous years of such employment, nor shall a waiver be provided for any person whose employment as a law-enforcement officer was terminated because of his misconduct or incompetence.

C. The Attorney General shall have the authority to issue a badge to each person designated an investigator of the Attorney General's choosing. The Attorney General is permitted to incorporate use of the Seal of the Commonwealth in the design of the badge.

They shall be sworn to enforce the "laws of the Commonwealth" because they shall be law-enforcement officers.

Hence, "Ken's Cops."

Marco

The 40 investigators should have to go through and successfully pass whatever academy that other VA sworn officers have to attend, then there really wouldn't be an issue.

Just making them another exempt class of gov employees is just wrong, if the masses can't neither should those paid with their/our tax dollars.

Why can't they just get CHP's, doubt they'll be investigating many medicare claims on k-12 property. If there's a problem with the chp system fix it for them and everyone else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The 40 investigators should have to go through and successfully pass whatever academy that other VA sworn officers have to attend, then there really wouldn't be an issue.

Just making them another exempt class of gov employees is just wrong, if the masses can't neither should those paid with their/our tax dollars.

Why can't they just get CHP's, doubt they'll be investigating many medicare claims on k-12 property. If there's a problem with the chp system fix it for them and everyone else.

There is one major problem with that M.
When I was with the state most of the Enforcement people were ex cops and pretty stupid ones at that. That's why they were EX.
They hired them because they could bypass the Academy.

Since the investigations and enforcement was specialized, we ended up with a group of substandard washouts that didn't have the technical knowledge to really do the job.

The AG's office will be using mostly Attorneys for this if they can. I'd rather see them opt out of the Academy and get qualified people rather one that doesn't need LEO training because he washed out of the Surry Sheriffs Department.

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

Because two (or more) wrongs don't make a right... None of those organizations should have their own cops...

Roscoe

davidmcbeth

Banned
these inter-agency "police" are just patronage jobs folks ... I have known special police that have done nothing for years and years. They keep a low profile ...

Marco

While I believe the AG's office should have capable investigators I don't want anymore special class Gov employees, we should get rid of all of the ones we already have.

Why not just change their job title to comply with 18.2-308 B9 or C for the time being, until we can get those loop holes shut down.:lol:

paramedic70002

The FBI was originally unarmed until they began getting killed. I don't have a problem with this. They are mostly investigating non-violent crimes, but that doesn't mean a thing. Anybody can decide to off an investigator. It seems to me that this bill seeks to correct an oversight. IMHO if you're investigating criminal offenses, you should be a cop or be with a cop. And I DON'T think this is about the AG's ego. He'll be leaving that job pretty soon.

va_tazdad

Nothing new here

The VA ABC (Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control) has 150 "Special Agents" throughout the state that have evolved from Regulatory Agents and are now sworn LEOs. Currently all must be certified LEOs or attend and successfully pass an academe.

They also issue badges and guns to the 3 Board members (political appointments).

Mainly, they investigate liquor license applications and verify that the businesses comply with the ABC regulations but occasionally, the backup local PDs. All ABC Agents drive state provided unmarked vehicles equipped with radios, lights and sirens.

The AGs office is simply equipping their investigators along the same lines.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What is next indeed. I RECOMMEND WE BE PROACTIVE AND COME OUT WITH A SCREWED by. THE COOCH SALUTE.

Think that such probably already exists for his detractors - isn't good form here though.
Doesn't contribute to positive redirection or factual contribution either.

Thundar

Coochi-Kops?

Think that such probably already exists for his detractors - isn't good form here though.
Doesn't contribute to positive redirection or factual contribution either.

Ok, how about this. The lead attorney should not have his own police force. I mean really, how would one hold the coochi-Kops accountable? The cooch would never threaten prosecution if someone agreed not to sue the coochi-kops after they screwed up. Why? Because he is a man of his word......... no wait, he is a double crossing politician who covets power. Yeah, give him his own personal hired guns. It worked well for Germany way back when....