• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun rights" = "Mean-spirited legislation"

Repeater

Senator Herring thinks we're mean:

General Assembly Dems blast Republicans for focus on social issues
House and Senate Democrats this morning unloaded on Republicans, who now control both chambers, for pushing social legislation that has dominated much of the legislative session’s first half.

The 17 Democratic legislators decried dozens of bills that they claim target the poor, limit women’s choices, discriminate against immigrants, suppress the vote and expand gun rights.

Specifically, the group focused on legislation to repeal of the state’s longstanding one-handgun-a- month law, require an ultrasound before abortions and require drug screening for welfare recipients.

Sen. Mark R. Herring, D-Loudoun, said Republicans are “spending way too much time on mean-spirited legislation” while “ignoring the problems that real Virginians face.”

“It is now easier to get a gun in Virginia – and as many as you want effective July 1 – than it is to vote,” said Senate Democratic Leader Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax.

Asked after the news conference why two Democrats supported the one-gun-a-month repeal bill in the Senate, Saslaw replied: “Can’t pick your relatives, can you?”

So, according to Dick, does that make Edwards and Deeds bastard children?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Asked after the news conference why two Democrats supported the one-gun-a-month repeal bill in the Senate, Saslaw replied: “Can’t pick your relatives, can you?”

Ain't that what yo muma said Dick?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sparkman2

Easier to get a gun than vote? Really? I thought it was easy to vote, just show up tell them who you are, or sign an affidavit saying you are that person, and then cast your vote. On the other hand, find a gun, start the sale, go through the back ground check process, wait, wait, wait. OH sorry, the VSP are backed up on checks right now come back later. Come back later, still not done, wait, wait , wait, okay your not a criminal you can purchase the gun. Show your I.D.'s, one has to be government issued, sign the papers and out the door. Easy. :)

The Wolfhound

Change the term on them

It should become the expanding of "the right of self defense" not "gun rights". Guns have no rights, guns do not assault people. People have the right to self defense and by the Second Ammendment to the Constitution our right to arms shall not be infringed. We see the tools for defense, the anti crowd only sees a gun. Redefining the argument in our terms makes winning easier.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: I don't want to see comments like this again or the ban hammer will come out!

What are you trying to say here? It sounds like you're advocating for murder or bodily harm against politicians. Definitely the wrong attitude for this site.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
What is quite befuddling is the severe lack of intellectual development in many or our politicians and the electorate given the almost unlimited access to knowledge the combination of public schools, libraries, and the Internet are providing to us.

paramedic70002

The catchphrase of the Republicans should be, "Making the right to self defense, and the accessibility to self defense firearms, more obtainable to all citizens of the Commonwealth, especially the poor, and minorities, who statistically are more likely to live in high crime areas."

TFred

The catchphrase of the Republicans should be, "Making the right to self defense, and the accessibility to self defense firearms, more obtainable to all citizens of the Commonwealth, especially the poor, and minorities, who statistically are more likely to live in high crime areas."
Don't give up your day-job to become a jingle writer... ;)

TFred

va_tazdad

Seriously

“It is now easier to get a gun in Virginia – and as many as you want effective July 1 – than it is to vote,” said Senate Democratic Leader Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax.

How did anyone this stupid get elected?

I used to live in NOVA and we never elected anyone as dumb as dirty Dick.

How does this guy lie like this and continue to get re-elected? Has NOVA gone brain dead? I know DC has, but I didn't realize it has infected NOVA.

Glad I escaped 30 years ago! Don't miss the traffic at all.

2a4all

I had to register to vote (which required an ID) but I only get to vote once per election. I need to show two IDs to buy a gun, and I can do that as often as I want. What's changed?

Last edited:

Repeater

Today's Hypocrisy Report

I had to register to vote (which required an ID) but I only get to vote once per election. I need to show two IDs to buy a gun, and I can do that as often as I want. What's changed?

This would seem to rate a 10 on the "Hypocrisy Meter" -- check it out:

From the Constitutional Conservative, Thomas A. Garrett, a bill that would preserve voter integrity:

SB 669 Voter registration records; general registrar to cancel registration of voter shown to be a felon.

Summary:
Requires general registrar to compare list of registered voters for his locality to the State Board of Elections comprehensive list of convicted felons, to cancel the registration of any registered voter shown to be a felon, and to notify the registered voter of the cancellation.

Okay, somewhat analogous to background checks for persons trying to get guns. If we don't want ex-felons to have firearms, we don't want them to have the franchise. Equal treatment.

Now, look at what happened today in the Senate:
02/13/12 Senate: Read third time and passed Senate (22-Y 18-N)
02/13/12 Senate: Reconsideration of passage agreed to by Senate (38-Y 2-N)
02/13/12 Senate: Defeated by Senate (19-Y 21-N)

See? It passed.

Then -- someone made a motion for Reconsideration ....

Then, It FAILED!

So, who voted against the bill, thereby making it easier for felons to vote fraudulently:
YEAS--Blevins, Carrico, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Norment, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins--19.

NAYS--Barker, Black, Colgan, Deeds, Ebbin, Edwards, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw--21.

Oops, it seems Dick Black made a boo--boo:
Senator Black stated that he voted nay on the question of the passage of S.B. 669, whereas he intended to vote yea.

Well, if Senator Black had not screwed up, the vote would have been 20-20. Then Bolling could have cast his vote favoring the bill.

Result: it's easier for convicted felons to vote than get guns.

Lesson: In the Senate there is no margin for error.

Saslaw is wrong. As usual.