• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

black powder hanguns OC question

pacman552SD

hi everyone, im on here today because i have a quick question about the purchase of black powder hanguns for persons under the age of 21. from what i have read in michigan law anyone over the age of 18 may purchase black power handguns from a FFL. what i dont understand is whether or not the firearm has to be registerd the same as any other handgun in michigan.
thanks for the help clearing this up for me, pacman552SD

SpringerXDacp

hi everyone, im on here today because i have a quick question about the purchase of black powder hanguns for persons under the age of 21. from what i have read in michigan law anyone over the age of 18 may purchase black power handguns from a FFL. what i dont understand is whether or not the firearm has to be registerd the same as any other handgun in michigan.
thanks for the help clearing this up for me, pacman552SD

According to MCL 28.432 (Janet Kukuk Act), no:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vz...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-432

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

The "antique firearm" as defined in MCL 750.231a:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(0t...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-231a

(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

xmanhockey7

Good question. Does anyone know if per FEDERAL law someone 18-20 can purchase a BP handgun? I honestly don't.

OP: If you are looking to open carry but are worried you won't be able to buy a modern gun check out this: http://migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142. Pretty much everyone is a private seller so you can purchase a pistol under 21 from a private seller.

lil_freak_66

i did the blackpowder route for awhile, i do not suggest it unless your local LEO's unlawfully are not issuing a purchase permit or you dont want anything on the books but also do not wish to break the law.

Its long, your leg will get sore from being poked with the barrel,even with the shorter ones. they are heavy, and single action.

but, no registration and you can purchase them from FFL, at least Classic Arms in Lansing will sell antique black powders and the replicas to 18+ rather than 21+

lil_freak_66

same as a regular handgun

for it to be "unloaded" that means caps removed, powder and ball in the cylinder is fine when being transported as long as the caps are not in it.