• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry

j iceman

Okay my name is jacob I'm new to the forum I just wanted to say I decided start open carry my weapon. I've become familiar with the laws and I would like to know what everyone's opinion is on this. I myself have decided I'm not going to get my concealed carry permit because the fact is I have the right to open carry and if stopped by law enforcement I cannot legally conceal my weapon. I don't want my rights to be trampled I enjoyed my open carry right I just wish people wouldn't be so ignorant about that. I do not want to get my concealed and carry permit at least not yet because I have the right to carry open and that's the only kind carrying I wish to do I want people to know that yes I have a weapon it's no secret. I'm proud that I carry a gun and I'm proud that if anything was to happen to me I could defend myself even the people around me I just wish that other people feel like that.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

xmanhockey7

I'd suggest you get the CHL so you can carry in more places and make open carry much easier, especially when visiting other states. But I do like the way you look at it.

RT48

That's fine to exercise your right to OC. Just make sure you are quite familiar with Ohio's laws so you don't end up in a bad situation. I assume you already know you can't carry a loaded gun in a motor vehicle and that you already know Ohio's quirky definition of "unloaded"? Are you aware of the law if you enter a grocery store that happens to be holding a wine tasting in the back of the store?

j iceman

I work for Kroger's so I got lucky on that one but I bought a gun safe for my car that's mounted in the glove box. The sheriff said I can keep both gun and ammo in the locked safe as long as it is not in a clip or speed loader . Is that correct?

RT48

What is this issue with OC in a store with wine tasting?

The OP says he has no CHL. If the grocery store has a class D liquor license and people are consuming wine somewhere in the store, the OP would be committing a felony the moment he walked in the front door.

RT48

The sheriff said I can keep both gun and ammo in the locked safe as long as it is not in a clip or speed loader . Is that correct?

Yes, empty magazines and speed loaders would make you legal.

A bill was recently introduced in the Ohio House to remove Ohio's very stupid definition of "unloaded" and replace it with a more commonsense definition. Contact your state representative if you would like to see loaded magazines and speedloaders be legal in a motor vehicle for those without a CHL.

Jcrich

Thank you. See, I have a concealed carry permit but am interested in OC in Ohio. Is there guidelines somewhere that captures things Iike this? So would OC in a place serving alcohol legal if one has a concealed carry permit? Is OC not covered under the restaurant carry law? I.e., can I open carry at Applebee's for example (assuming the don't have a gun buster sign)? Thanks for your feedback.

j iceman

Thanks for everyones help. I know I'm taking a chance OC without a ccw but I'm carefully following the law to a t . I have no fear and I'm comfortable with the police in my area but I am thinking about down sizing all of this load and unload in the car is hard. I currently use my kimber II 45 acp to oc but I tried it with my 380 acp and it seemed like less of a big deal to people

RT48

Thank you. See, I have a concealed carry permit but am interested in OC in Ohio. Is there guidelines somewhere that captures things Iike this? So would OC in a place serving alcohol legal if one has a concealed carry permit? Is OC not covered under the restaurant carry law? I.e., can I open carry at Applebee's for example (assuming the don't have a gun buster sign)? Thanks for your feedback.

OC without a CHL is not covered in the recent restaurant carry law. Only those with a license are covered.

Xmanhockey had it right when he recommended that Open Carriers get a CHL. It just makes things easier and saves them from stepping on one of those legal landmines that Ohio has in its gun laws for those that OC without a CHL.

I'm not aware of any place that has any guidelines for open vs concealed carry. But every Ohio gun owner needs to learn the laws of this state so he doesn't get jammed up in some legal situation out of pure ignorance.

handgunlaws.us gives a very good overview of the laws in every state. It's especially good for those traveling out of state.

Two Ohio attorneys have written books on Ohio gun laws.

Ken Hanson's book:

http://www.ohiogunlawguide.com/

Sean Culley's book:

http://www.seanculley.com/book.asp

Then there is the actual law:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923

Studying the law may be boring compared to watching football on TV but which activity will keep you out of jail?

whitewolf68

I agree with the previous posters and will add again that a CHL will provide you another level of carry and protection. Just be very careful carrying without a CHL to avoid police confrontation.