Thread: michigan getting better?

michigan getting better?

Im wanting to open carry in michigan as I wait to complete my cpl. When I first learned that michigan was on oc state about 4 years ago there were alot of police in the area I live macomb county, aresting alot of people for ocing. Is anyone familiar with this area and if so have you noticed less of these activites and have the police ever stoped to question you? If so how do it work out?
    Last edited by GlockIt; 02-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Id rather look at my ugly Glock than shoot your fancy S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockIt View Post
    Im wanting to open carry in michigan as I wait to complete my cpl. When I first learned that michigan was on oc state about 4 years ago there were alot of police in the area I live macomb county, aresting alot of people for ocing. Is anyone familiar with this area and if so have you noticed less of these activites and have the police ever stoped to question you? If so how do it work out?
    Police officers GENERALLY know it's legal and leave OCers alone... note the use of the word "generally". The most recent issue seems to be OC in a location in which CC is prohibited. Michigan is odd in that the places in which general OC is prohibited also has an exception for those with a CPL... and the prohibited places listed in state law regarding concealed carry only address "concealed carry", not Open Carry. In Macomb County, you should be fine for OC... just pay close attention to the transportation laws and the prohibited places for those without a CPL (there are quite a few).

I've OCd for over 7 years with one law enforcement interaction a few years ago... and it was just questioning, no "felony stop" type situation, but this is in the Grand Rapids area.

If you have any other questions, just PM me or post in the Michigan section of OCDO.

This should help/cite:http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf
    Last edited by DrTodd; 02-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.