• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

michigan getting better?

GlockIt

Im wanting to open carry in michigan as I wait to complete my cpl. When I first learned that michigan was on oc state about 4 years ago there were alot of police in the area I live macomb county, aresting alot of people for ocing. Is anyone familiar with this area and if so have you noticed less of these activites and have the police ever stoped to question you? If so how do it work out?

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Im wanting to open carry in michigan as I wait to complete my cpl. When I first learned that michigan was on oc state about 4 years ago there were alot of police in the area I live macomb county, aresting alot of people for ocing. Is anyone familiar with this area and if so have you noticed less of these activites and have the police ever stoped to question you? If so how do it work out?

Police officers GENERALLY know it's legal and leave OCers alone... note the use of the word "generally". The most recent issue seems to be OC in a location in which CC is prohibited. Michigan is odd in that the places in which general OC is prohibited also has an exception for those with a CPL... and the prohibited places listed in state law regarding concealed carry only address "concealed carry", not Open Carry. In Macomb County, you should be fine for OC... just pay close attention to the transportation laws and the prohibited places for those without a CPL (there are quite a few).

I've OCd for over 7 years with one law enforcement interaction a few years ago... and it was just questioning, no "felony stop" type situation, but this is in the Grand Rapids area.

If you have any other questions, just PM me or post in the Michigan section of OCDO.

This should help/cite:http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Last edited: