• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government confiscates Guns from Doomsday Prepper

Fallschirjmäger

So....
Sleeping pills,
Alcohol
Belts, rope
Rat poison, insect poison, radiator coolant
Enclosed car and a garden hose
Plastic bags, tape, zip ties,
Access to bridges and overpasses
Razor blades, broken glass, and other sharp objects
Household electricity
Bathtubs and other bodies of water.... those are all cool, right?

Or did they confiscate or deny access to those as well?

09jisaac

So....
Sleeping pills,
Alcohol
Belts, rope
Rat poison, insect poison, radiator coolant
Enclosed car and a garden hose
Plastic bags, tape, zip ties,
Access to bridges and overpasses
Razor blades, broken glass, and other sharp objects
Household electricity
Bathtubs and other bodies of water.... those are all cool, right?

Or did they confiscate or deny access to those as well?

I am no expert, but I think that if you're killed with a firearm then you're dead.

I am not going to commit suicide, but if I did I would much rather go out with pills and alcohol than with a gun.

It does seem like everyone thinks that "preppers" are crazy. But why would they not believe this? The people that seem 100% normal, but still prep, never end up in the limelight. I see the government overstepping their bounds all the time. So what if this guy was going to commit suicide? That is his business. As long as he wasn't a threat to anyone else (who wasn't a threat to him) then he should never have been messed with.

Last edited:

Daylen

The gun confiscation has little to do with stopping suicide and everything to do with that 68' law that lists someone committed to a mental health clinic or some such bs as a prohibited person from buying or owning a firearm that is part of interstate commerce. And maybe state laws that are similar but go beyond ATF taxed firearms.

MilProGuy

"Mr. Sarti denies the charges and insists that he told the doctor he was a Christian and his belief made it impossible for him to commit suicide."

XD9mmFMJ

They use disasters as a way to create more draconian legislation, and as shown with hurricane Katrina, a reason to disarm Americans. This is without making mention of the people who tried to flee N.O. but were shot at by "law enforcement".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wouldn't appearing on a TV show about how you are a "prepper" be a total fail at prepping?

Daylen

Wouldn't appearing on a TV show about how you are a "prepper" be a total fail at prepping?

No. But letting a doctor and police trick you into becoming a prohibited person and not knowing how to still have firearms (unless the state has other prohibitions) is a total fail at prepping.

Gil223

Being prepared is MUCH smarter than being taken by surprise! Some folks can't seem to grasp that concept though. :banghead: Pax...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It is my personal policy not to advertise my preparedness. Yes, we all have that little bug out bag in the closet, but I don't want to be perceived as an "after the zombies come" shopping center for those who did not prepare. And the fact that "survivalists" get a bad rap...........like pit bulls do.

Gil223

It is my personal policy not to advertise my preparedness.

I didn't say anything about "advertising" the fact, just that it was better (i.e. - a good policy) than being caught unprepared. And I agree that the "survivalists" have gotten a bad rap, but they are probably the best prepared of us all, for whatever disaster may come down the pike at them (and, I also believe that a significant number of them have gone a bit overboard). But... if TSHTF, they will all fare much better than "Joe Average" - who is totally unprepared. I would guess - and it is purely a guess - that 65-70% of the population has made no preparations at all, 20-25% are somewhat prepared for short-term (2 weeks tops) interruptions to their normal way of life, 10% are prepared for reasonably long-term (30-90 days) interruptions to their normal way of life, and 5% are ready for the "Doomsday Scenario" (90 days until it ends). Locally the preparedness (as in food storage) is much higher than the 30-35% of those who are "prepared", and I would assume that most Utahans also have "stored" the necessary means to insure they can retain that food which they have stored. I wouldn't hazard a guess about "bug-out bags", but my opinion is that Utahans are relatively "territorial". Therefore, I see them as less likely than many folks to take to the hills (but, if they did choose to bug-out, we have a LOT of awesome hills and mountains to take to) even though bugging out seems to be preferred to being 'trapped' in the city. Pax...

Last edited:

georg jetson

They use disasters as a way to create more draconian legislation, and as shown with hurricane Katrina, a reason to disarm Americans. ".

In the case of Katrina, the mayor of New Orleans took it upon himself to disarm the remaining citizens... apparently door to door. However, because of this and disarmament occurrences in other parishes, we the people put pressure on our state government and Gov Bobby Gindal signed the following into law which amends the statute with regards to a state of emergency.

Find the complete statute here- http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78434

H.(1) Nothing in this Section shall authorize the seizure or confiscation of any firearm or ammunition from any individual who is lawfully carrying or possessing the firearm or ammunition except as provided in Paragraph (2) of this Subsection.

(2) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may disarm an individual if the officer reasonably believes it is immediately necessary for the protection of the officer or another individual. The peace officer shall return the firearm to the individual before discharging that individual unless the officer arrests that individual for engaging in criminal activity, or seizes the firearm as evidence pursuant to an investigation for the commission of a crime.

This is without making mention of the people who tried to flee N.O. but were shot at by "law enforcement".

I don't think they we're trying to leave... not sure.