Thread: Nazir Al-Mujaahid, Aldi's customer who shot robber shares lessons learned. MJS

Herr Heckler Koch

Nazir Al-Mujaahid, Aldi's customer who shot robber shares lessons learned. MJS

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/proofandhearsay.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Vielmetti, MJS
    Al-Mujaahid called it a high-stress, highly unpredictable scenario that luckily turned out the best it could. Looking back, he said he should have checked to make sure there weren't some other armed robbers inside the store. In the future, he said he would probably keep a round chambered in his gun, and the primary safety disengaged, since his particular handgun has a multi-stage safety.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Some more training and repetitive practice would surely benefit him - he was lucky that the stars were in his favor.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

gun not chambered...safety on...LOLWUT? Was he afraid that the gun might go off on an empty chamber?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"In the future, he said he would probably keep a round chambered in his gun, and the primary safety disengaged, since his particular handgun has a multi-stage safety."

A good lesson learned, not only for this guy, but for the rest of us to take to heart, as well.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

You can listen to an hour long interview with himmonnconcealed wisconsin's youtube page. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said that he keeps them unloaded, with the safety on, in a safe because he has small kids.

I keep one in the chamber when I carry, but I understand why he did that.

Because of my small child son I keep any firearms not on my person unloaded and/or out of reach and/or secured in a holster or safe, with redundancies in place.
    No point in owning firearms if your children are harmed due to your own negligence.

When at home in the safe that is all fine and dandy! But when it's on me and I am out with my child you can lay money on the fact that mine is ready to protect that child! If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe....If I felt the need to apply the safety to said gun I may as well sell it! The first thing that came to my head when I read about this story is...This guy shoots at a BG armed with a shotgun and the BG was able to run away??? He is damned lucky that the BG didn't turn and shoot back...hitting him,his wife and child, or anyone else!!! Now that I know he had to "fumble" with his gun before shooting at the BG I think it's nothing short of a miracle that this guy and everyone else in the store is still alive!!
    Last edited by markush; 02-11-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Exclamation Loaded and off safe = "About to fire"

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe.... If I felt the need to apply the safety to said gun I may as well sell it!....
    I don't know what kind of pistol you own but generally speaking, having the safety on will not slow down your response time to bring the gun into the fight. The idea is to take it off safety after you have cleared the holster and are acquiring your target. I wouldn't recommend carrying with the safety off and I don't believe any firearms instructors with actual fighting experience would either. YMMV....
    Last edited by davegran; 02-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe....If I felt the need to apply the safety to aforementioned empty chambered gun when I'm carrying it I may as well sell it!
    There I tried to fix it. It was mentioned that he not only carried it with an empty chamber but he also carried that empty chambered gun with the safety engaged.
    Last edited by markush; 02-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    There I tried to fix it. It was mentioned that he not only carried it with an empty chamber but he also carried that empty chambered gun with the safety engaged.
    In that case I agree with you.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

The gentleman was brave, no doubt. But he needs much more range time and maybe some coaching or training. It sounds like he is not really comfortable or proficient with his weapon. I don't support mandated training, but it's clear he needs some. 1 hit out of several rounds fired at short range and blowing out windows instead of hitting BG's is a clear indication of that.

ckmorley
    Anti-gunners tell us to run away from muggers. What about those of us who can't run ?

Quote Originally Posted by ckmorley View Post
    The gentleman was brave, no doubt. But he needs much more range time and maybe some coaching or training. It sounds like he is not really comfortable or proficient with his weapon. I don't support mandated training, but it's clear he needs some. 1 hit out of several rounds fired at short range and blowing out windows instead of hitting BG's is a clear indication of that.

ckmorley
    If you've never been in that situation, you can't really say how you'll perform. There are a lot of people who do the bear minimums, and there are people who train like the military, and there are those in the middle. Everyone trains differently. I'm currently looking at a few different options for more advanced training (handguns, rifles, and shotguns) because I want to know how to perform better.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

In a life or death situation when that fight or flight adrenaline is flowing through your bloodstream, you loose most of your fine motor skills. It's extremely difficult to know exactly how your body will respond or operate in those conditions. It's also equally difficult to train accurately for those conditions.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    In a life or death situation when that fight or flight adrenaline is flowing through your bloodstream, you loose most of your fine motor skills. It's extremely difficult to know exactly how your body will respond or operate in those conditions. It's also equally difficult to train accurately for those conditions.
    I couldn't agree more. Even with all the training in the world when it really happens the adrenaline is flowing and motor control is all over the map.

I think Nazir did very well for the situation. He had enough control and forethought to motion to the man in front of him to get out of the way. He was hampered by the manual safety on his firearm and not having a round chambered.

I hope I never am in a situation like his but if I am....I'll do my best to think clearly and control my body.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I really wouldn't want my face and name all over the place. Maybe he enjoys the attention. It's good he stopped the robbery but he really needs more range time with his weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Even with all the training in the world when it really happens the adrenaline is flowing and motor control is all over the map.
    Great point.

Unfortunately this is not the land of reality. This is the land of the non-doers dictating how, what, where, when, why, and how the survivor of an armed robbery (and everyone else) was/is supposed to do it.

Do as I say and don't tell me how to live my life.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I carry DA/SA SIG's of various calibers. I always make sure the gun is decocked after chambering a round and do a press check before holstering. I have noticed I can insert a mag in my P220 and it seems to be seated but in fact is not unless the click of the mag catch is heard. When not seated properly I have racked the slide and thought the round chambered but when checked, there's nothing in the pipe. Always do a press check before holstering FYI.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson