• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nazir Al-Mujaahid, Aldi's customer who shot robber shares lessons learned. MJS

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/proofandhearsay.html
Vielmetti said:
Al-Mujaahid called it a high-stress, highly unpredictable scenario that luckily turned out the best it could. Looking back, he said he should have checked to make sure there weren't some other armed robbers inside the store. In the future, he said he would probably keep a round chambered in his gun, and the primary safety disengaged, since his particular handgun has a multi-stage safety.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some more training and repetitive practice would surely benefit him - he was lucky that the stars were in his favor.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
gun not chambered...safety on...LOLWUT? Was he afraid that the gun might go off on an empty chamber?

MilProGuy

"In the future, he said he would probably keep a round chambered in his gun, and the primary safety disengaged, since his particular handgun has a multi-stage safety."

A good lesson learned, not only for this guy, but for the rest of us to take to heart, as well.

TyGuy

You can listen to an hour long interview with himmonnconcealed wisconsin's youtube page. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said that he keeps them unloaded, with the safety on, in a safe because he has small kids.

I keep one in the chamber when I carry, but I understand why he did that.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Because of my small child son I keep any firearms not on my person unloaded and/or out of reach and/or secured in a holster or safe, with redundancies in place.
No point in owning firearms if your children are harmed due to your own negligence.

markush

When at home in the safe that is all fine and dandy! But when it's on me and I am out with my child you can lay money on the fact that mine is ready to protect that child! If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe....If I felt the need to apply the safety to said gun I may as well sell it! The first thing that came to my head when I read about this story is...This guy shoots at a BG armed with a shotgun and the BG was able to run away??? He is damned lucky that the BG didn't turn and shoot back...hitting him,his wife and child, or anyone else!!! Now that I know he had to "fumble" with his gun before shooting at the BG I think it's nothing short of a miracle that this guy and everyone else in the store is still alive!!

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Loaded and off safe = "About to fire"

If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe.... If I felt the need to apply the safety to said gun I may as well sell it!....
I don't know what kind of pistol you own but generally speaking, having the safety on will not slow down your response time to bring the gun into the fight. The idea is to take it off safety after you have cleared the holster and are acquiring your target. I wouldn't recommend carrying with the safety off and I don't believe any firearms instructors with actual fighting experience would either. YMMV....

Last edited:

markush

If I felt the need to carry a gun without a round chambered it may as well be home in the safe....If I felt the need to apply the safety to aforementioned empty chambered gun when I'm carrying it I may as well sell it!

There I tried to fix it. It was mentioned that he not only carried it with an empty chamber but he also carried that empty chambered gun with the safety engaged.

Last edited:

ckmorley

The gentleman was brave, no doubt. But he needs much more range time and maybe some coaching or training. It sounds like he is not really comfortable or proficient with his weapon. I don't support mandated training, but it's clear he needs some. 1 hit out of several rounds fired at short range and blowing out windows instead of hitting BG's is a clear indication of that.

ckmorley

protias

The gentleman was brave, no doubt. But he needs much more range time and maybe some coaching or training. It sounds like he is not really comfortable or proficient with his weapon. I don't support mandated training, but it's clear he needs some. 1 hit out of several rounds fired at short range and blowing out windows instead of hitting BG's is a clear indication of that.

ckmorley

If you've never been in that situation, you can't really say how you'll perform. There are a lot of people who do the bear minimums, and there are people who train like the military, and there are those in the middle. Everyone trains differently. I'm currently looking at a few different options for more advanced training (handguns, rifles, and shotguns) because I want to know how to perform better.

Motofixxer

In a life or death situation when that fight or flight adrenaline is flowing through your bloodstream, you loose most of your fine motor skills. It's extremely difficult to know exactly how your body will respond or operate in those conditions. It's also equally difficult to train accurately for those conditions.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
In a life or death situation when that fight or flight adrenaline is flowing through your bloodstream, you loose most of your fine motor skills. It's extremely difficult to know exactly how your body will respond or operate in those conditions. It's also equally difficult to train accurately for those conditions.

I couldn't agree more. Even with all the training in the world when it really happens the adrenaline is flowing and motor control is all over the map.

I think Nazir did very well for the situation. He had enough control and forethought to motion to the man in front of him to get out of the way. He was hampered by the manual safety on his firearm and not having a round chambered.

I hope I never am in a situation like his but if I am....I'll do my best to think clearly and control my body.

norwisman

ckmorley

Sounds like a possibility.

.40S&W

I really wouldn't want my face and name all over the place. Maybe he enjoys the attention. It's good he stopped the robbery but he really needs more range time with his weapon.

HandyHamlet

I couldn't agree more. Even with all the training in the world when it really happens the adrenaline is flowing and motor control is all over the map.

Great point.

Unfortunately this is not the land of reality. This is the land of the non-doers dictating how, what, where, when, why, and how the survivor of an armed robbery (and everyone else) was/is supposed to do it.

:uhoh:

Do as I say and don't tell me how to live my life.

Zeus

I carry DA/SA SIG's of various calibers. I always make sure the gun is decocked after chambering a round and do a press check before holstering. I have noticed I can insert a mag in my P220 and it seems to be seated but in fact is not unless the click of the mag catch is heard. When not seated properly I have racked the slide and thought the round chambered but when checked, there's nothing in the pipe. Always do a press check before holstering FYI.