• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Husker Ex-Pat Visiting For A Week

choprzrul

Flying in on the 18th and saying for a week. Called Kearney PD and spoke with the duty Sgt. I asked him if there were any statutes, regulations, or laws that would prevent me from open carrying during my stay. He told me that no, there is nothing on the books that prevents open carry, but he strongly urged me not to do so. He thought that people would call it in and the responding officers would be keyed up for a 'man with gun' report. It was then that I explained that I now live in California and am used to aggressive law enforcement Kinda shot holes in his argument.

Anyone else have experience OC in Kearney? Used to be that I wouldn't think twice about walking into the bank in Riverdale carrying.

I think that I will wear my single action .45 in a drop holster to keep from having a coat conceal the weapon. This ought to be interesting. Figure if I could OC in PRK, I can surely do it in NE.

I'll update later.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!

Why did you call the police department? The police are not generally considered to be a good source of information in regards to carry. If you have any more questions, ask them here. You will get the correct answers without having to listen to the officer's silly opinion on the subject.

Hope your journey to and time in Nebraska goes well.

Last edited:

choprzrul

Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!

Why did you call the police department? The police are not generally considered to be a good source of information in regards to carry. If you have any more questions, ask them here. You will get the correct answers without having to listen to the officer's silly opinion on the subject.

Hope your journey to and time in Nebraska goes well.

Well, outside of finding that particular municipality's local ordinances, where else would I look? Are you suggesting that someone here is intimately familiar with regulations in little 'ol Kearney Nebraska? I already knew that state law allowed OC. I was just concerned with county & city.

Other than that, I agree with you that typically LE is full of FUD. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you are law enforcement (at lease here in CA it is often that way it seems, don't know about the rest of the country).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, outside of finding that particular municipality's local ordinances, where else would I look? Are you suggesting that someone here is intimately familiar with regulations in little 'ol Kearney Nebraska? I already knew that state law allowed OC. I was just concerned with county & city.

Other than that, I agree with you that typically LE is full of FUD. After all, ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you are law enforcement (at lease here in CA it is often that way it seems, don't know about the rest of the country).

You could look here - Kearney ordinances are included.
http://nebraskaccess.ne.gov/municipalcodes.asp