• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whatcom Fair Voting

sudden valley gunner

Got an e-mail from a libertarian about a meeting at the Re-store.
I thought it was a libertarian meet, when I showed up there were no libertarians, and I am not a libertarian myself.
Found out it was a meeting of Whatcom Fair Voting, a group of citizens from all types of political backgrounds that oversee and do what they can to keep voting fair and unbiased.
They invited me to sit with them and participate and even asked for my viewpoint and input on several issues. I was Open Carrying the whole time and there was not one mention of my firearm or my chosen method of carrying it.

Something I learned is that apparently what we have here in this county is unique in this state and that this groups relationship with the auditors office is allowed by law yet we seem to be the only county that does this. One of the issues discussed is how to encourage other county auditors and citizens to do something similar. Well I post here maybe some will take the ball and run with it. How about in Yakima where 44% of the population is Hispanic yet all the representation there are not Hispanic? Is this because no one from that ethnic back ground runs, is it because of the "good ol' boy system'? A group like this formed there could find out.

That being said I am not sure if I can attend or be a member of this group, with everything else I got going on. But enjoyed learning about it and love the fact that it didn't seem to matter to them I was Open Carrying.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhatcomFairVoting/?tab=s

sudden valley gunner

What % of the Hispanic population in that area are legal?

I think they were talking about the registered voters not those not eligible to vote, but not absolutely positive.

Since they bring up a particular race and their representation, I will ask a question. Is this group interested in outcome based results?

If you mean they want to change outcomes no. They just want to make sure it is done properly. They have the ability to do hand counts at random to test the machines and the auditors methods.

They aren't interested in forcing race based representation, they brought up it may very well be that no Hispanics choose to run for anything political in Yakima (I do believe they were talking about the county's representation in Olympia), but an independent civilian group with representatives from all parties and independents could put any fear that voting is based on race, or economic discrimination. Also it just may be since they are still a minority group they simply don't win, not because of race though. For instance a Hispanic candidates may run but are never popular enough with the general population regardless of ethnic background. This wasn't a main issue either just a mention about how groups like this in Whatcom can dispels much of those fears.

I am pretty new to participating in the world of politics so much of what was happening and being discussed was a blur. Any mistakes or misspoken words about WFV is purely mine. I found it very informative and intriguing. They would like to encourage people in other counties to form similar groups.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Sounds, Looks and Smells of the progressive group that are trying to redistrict Yakima County so they meaning the progressives have a stronger position to push their agenda.
The population of 44% were reached by advertising during the last census of where they wanted to make sure everyone got counted legal and illegal alike as it meant more federal money! yeah right to we have a large migrant influx during harvest season here in the Yakima Valley some legal but many illegally here and working.

The reason there is no one currently in Yakima City Council because very few of the Hispanic population runs for office though not so in Yakima Valley. Looking at the districts now one would find the districts are composed by population not by race as this group or other groups in the progressive push want.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
This article spells it out rather succinctly.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015494862_latinos03m.html

The entire group of voters in Yakima get to vote for each Districts representative to the Council. They can redistrict all they want, but until they change the voting paradigm, and have District voters elect District representation it won't make any difference.

The voters elect conservative candidates no matter the race.

Henry Beauchamp was elected for many years based on his political views, rather than his race. As stated in the article, Hispanic candidates need to run, and they need to be conservative instead of identifying with the liberal party.

The original post was a great comment on OC being accepted by a unique group. ( to keep this thread somewhat on topic:))

sudden valley gunner

This article spells it out rather succinctly.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015494862_latinos03m.html

The entire group of voters in Yakima get to vote for each Districts representative to the Council. They can redistrict all they want, but until they change the voting paradigm, and have District voters elect District representation it won't make any difference.

The voters elect conservative candidates no matter the race.

Henry Beauchamp was elected for many years based on his political views, rather than his race. As stated in the article, Hispanic candidates need to run, and they need to be conservative instead of identifying with the liberal party.

The original post was a great comment on OC being accepted by a unique group. ( to keep this thread somewhat on topic:))

Thanks for the link, that's what I and many in the group figured. I think the discussion had to do with a proposed state law that wants to force some race based legislation for "representation" the group was against that, it iw the reasoning some legislatures are proposing SB 6381/HB 2612. But also discussed it the one that would lower registering age to register to 16 most were against that too.

And thanks for last sentence because that was all that my original post was to convey.

sudden valley gunner

Sounds, Looks and Smells of the progressive group that are trying to redistrict Yakima County so they meaning the progressives have a stronger position to push their agenda.
The population of 44% were reached by advertising during the last census of where they wanted to make sure everyone got counted legal and illegal alike as it meant more federal money! yeah right to we have a large migrant influx during harvest season here in the Yakima Valley some legal but many illegally here and working.

The reason there is no one currently in Yakima City Council because very few of the Hispanic population runs for office though not so in Yakima Valley. Looking at the districts now one would find the districts are composed by population not by race as this group or other groups in the progressive push want.

What group? WFV? Who's the progressives WFV?