Thread: need a holster recommendation

need a holster recommendation

This is for a left handed female who carries a S&W Airweight. She would like an IWB as well as an on the belt style. Thanks.

Crossbreed supertuck for the IWB.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    This is for a left handed female who carries a S&W Airweight. She would like an IWB as well as an on the belt style. Thanks.
    The "Ugly Holster" by Cleveland's Holsters can fix you up an IWB for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by davegran; 02-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

My vote is for the Cleveland... https://clevelandsholsters.com/
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    The "Ugly Holster" by Cleveland's Holsters can fix you up an IWB for a reasonable price.
    +1, I have one for my SR9. I liked it so much I just ordered one for my .356 snub-nose.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Nam-Vet View Post
    Crossbreed supertuck for the IWB.
    I like their design as well. I'm a lefty too and wanted a supertuck deluxe for my beater gun but didn't want to pay their price so I copied their style and made my own.

I'm a lefty with a G17. Use my blackhawk serpa for OC purposes.
    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 02-11-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I like their design as well. I'm a lefty too and wanted a supertuck deluxe for my beater gun but didn't want to pay their price so I copied their style and made my own.

Looks very nice,good job.

+1 on the Cleveland, just wasn't the 1st to pop into my mind.

Thumbs up Double Retention is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, for OWB wear it would be prudent to get at least a double retention holster like one of the Blackhawk Concealment Holsters. They Have a screw adjustment for how hard the holster squeezes your sidearm, PLUS a lever lock release system. Many of them come with both a belt and a paddle mount, adjustable for cant. They don't have the beauty of a leather holster, but the price is much lower. Sorry if I sound like a salesman, I'm just a satisfied customer.
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by norwisman View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61IT85GZT6g

Blackhawk SERPA button issue.
    Please, don't start a Blackhawk debate. They are used by hundreds of thousands of people, including the military, without issue. Use it properly and you won't have a problem.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 02-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Please, don't start a Blackhawk debate. They are used by hundreds of thousands of people, including the military, without issue. Use it properly and you won't have a problem.

^this plus a million. You can debate everything to death. Guns....holsters...politics...

The OP was asking for suggestions and can do the research on each suggestion to see what fits their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    The thing actually breaking was resolved with a recall. Avoiding the recalled batches should be enough on that.

My only other comment is during my CCL class, the two instructors, both retired highly experienced LEOs they differed a bit on the button for retention. One thinking as long as the arched finger (in the middle) was used to depress you wouldn't hook your trigger finger in accidentally, the other was saying "well, basically for noobs it's not the best choice under high stress conditions."

I think it comes down to do you like that type of holster or not.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

The guy who does the presentation is not even sure if it is an "issue". At 1:23 into the video he says,
    "There have actually been some cases out there, and I haven't seen a whole lot of substantiation, but it's worth considering."
    The "issue" is in training and practice; because unfortunately, the Blackhawk and many other holsters are not idiot-proof.... There are thousands of these retention holsters in use every day and I just don't hear of any ND's lawsuits against the company, do you? Cites?
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:

Last edited by Breadslinger; 02-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Funny thing about the "Blackhawk Button Issues"--they are generally only an issue to people who don't carry them, have a lot of money invested in holsters made by their competitors, are clueless noobs looking to get on YouTube, or are trying to sell you something else...

If it's good enough for the USMC and Todd Jarrett, the Serpa is good enough for me--and my Serpa's have preforme flawlessly in EDC and USPSA competitions for over 3 years...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

For the OWB I would strongly suggest one of the holsters specifically designed for women. The are designed to push the top of the holser away from the belt so a woman's figure doesn't push the draw into her side but gives her more of a vertical presentation. I have been looking at them a bit for my wife and a friend who are taking their CCW class next week (CC only in our city). I'm sure one of the ladies will be along shortly to educate us more about women specific carry options.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    For the OWB I would strongly suggest one of the holsters specifically designed for women. The are designed to push the top of the holser away from the belt so a woman's figure doesn't push the draw into her side but gives her more of a vertical presentation. I have been looking at them a bit for my wife and a friend who are taking their CCW class next week (CC only in our city). I'm sure one of the ladies will be along shortly to educate us more about women specific carry options.
    Fortunately, Blackhawk offers spacers for their holsters.
    Dave

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Fortunately, Blackhawk offers spacers for their holsters.
    Excellent to know! Thanks! I haven't kept up on their products the last few years. Have several of their holsters but haven't bought one in a while. May get a few of those spacers to make it easier for my wife to use the ones we have.

I had one made at Black and Chrome in Wausau. It is a custom made highride. The firearm fits perfect. If I knew how to post pictures I would.