• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

need a holster recommendation

Horseman

This is for a left handed female who carries a S&W Airweight. She would like an IWB as well as an on the belt style. Thanks.

Trip20

Crossbreed supertuck for the IWB.

I like their design as well. I'm a lefty too and wanted a supertuck deluxe for my beater gun but didn't want to pay their price so I copied their style and made my own.

IMG_0347.jpg

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Double Retention is Good!

This is for a left handed female who carries a S&W Airweight. She would like an IWB as well as an on the belt style. Thanks.
If it hasn't already been mentioned, for OWB wear it would be prudent to get at least a double retention holster like one of the Blackhawk Concealment Holsters. They Have a screw adjustment for how hard the holster squeezes your sidearm, PLUS a lever lock release system. Many of them come with both a belt and a paddle mount, adjustable for cant. They don't have the beauty of a leather holster, but the price is much lower. Sorry if I sound like a salesman, I'm just a satisfied customer. :D

HolyOrangeJuice

Please, don't start a Blackhawk debate. They are used by hundreds of thousands of people, including the military, without issue. Use it properly and you won't have a problem.

^this plus a million. You can debate everything to death. Guns....holsters...politics...

The OP was asking for suggestions and can do the research on each suggestion to see what fits their needs.

norwisman

Please, don't start a Blackhawk debate. They are used by hundreds of thousands of people, including the military, without issue. Use it properly and you won't have a problem.

I posted the video to show the the thread starter an issue with the holster if not used properly. Information purpose only, not to debate if the holster is junk or not.

I personally know quite a few people who use this holster, I do not. It is called personal preference.

RR_Broccoli

The thing actually breaking was resolved with a recall. Avoiding the recalled batches should be enough on that.

My only other comment is during my CCL class, the two instructors, both retired highly experienced LEOs they differed a bit on the button for retention. One thinking as long as the arched finger (in the middle) was used to depress you wouldn't hook your trigger finger in accidentally, the other was saying "well, basically for noobs it's not the best choice under high stress conditions."

I think it comes down to do you like that type of holster or not. ;)

davegran

The guy who does the presentation is not even sure if it is an "issue". At 1:23 into the video he says,
"There have actually been some cases out there, and I haven't seen a whole lot of substantiation, but it's worth considering."
The "issue" is in training and practice; because unfortunately, the Blackhawk and many other holsters are not idiot-proof.... There are thousands of these retention holsters in use every day and I just don't hear of any ND's lawsuits against the company, do you? Cites?

Dreamer

Funny thing about the "Blackhawk Button Issues"--they are generally only an issue to people who don't carry them, have a lot of money invested in holsters made by their competitors, are clueless noobs looking to get on YouTube, or are trying to sell you something else...

If it's good enough for the USMC and Todd Jarrett, the Serpa is good enough for me--and my Serpa's have preforme flawlessly in EDC and USPSA competitions for over 3 years...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
For the OWB I would strongly suggest one of the holsters specifically designed for women. The are designed to push the top of the holser away from the belt so a woman's figure doesn't push the draw into her side but gives her more of a vertical presentation. I have been looking at them a bit for my wife and a friend who are taking their CCW class next week (CC only in our city). I'm sure one of the ladies will be along shortly to educate us more about women specific carry options.

davegran

For the OWB I would strongly suggest one of the holsters specifically designed for women. The are designed to push the top of the holser away from the belt so a woman's figure doesn't push the draw into her side but gives her more of a vertical presentation. I have been looking at them a bit for my wife and a friend who are taking their CCW class next week (CC only in our city). I'm sure one of the ladies will be along shortly to educate us more about women specific carry options.
Fortunately, Blackhawk offers spacers for their holsters.