• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report - Thornton's Tates Creek and Armstrong Mill - Lexington

Savage206

Just got back from running a few errands and had a brief encounter. Went to two places Kroger and Thorntons.

In Kroger I was OCing My FNH FNP-9 at 3 o'clock in my Blackhawk OWB leather holster. (Love this holster btw!!) Went in to grab some ice cream for my mother who is not feeling well and is having a birthday today. Walked in grabbed what I needed, went to the self-checkout line, paid for my items and left. Not even a sideways glance. I didn't expect one as I always OC in this store and have never once had anyone say anything.

Get in my car and drive just down the road to Thorntons to grab a few tall cans of beer, and a large MT. Dew fountain drink. As I am filling up my drink one of the cashiers comes over to me and here is how the dialog went:

Cashier: "Do you have a concealed carry license for that?!

Me:" It's not concealed."

Cashier:" You know what I mean! Do you have a license to carry that?!"

Me:" I don't need one. I am open carrying.

Cashier: "You HAVE to have a license to carry that in here!"

Me: "No, again, I am not concealing it, it is called open carry. You can look it up if you want to, in fact I suggest that you do. No license is required to openly carry a firearm in Kentucky."

Cashier: "Uh.....ok...."

She then rushed back behind the counter and picked up the phone to call what I am assuming the police. I went about my business, finished filling up my drink, grabbed my two beers, paid and left telling the other cashier to have a wonderful day.

I thought about hanging out and waiting for the police but didn't for two reasons.

1. I had ice cream from Kroger in the car. :)
2. There currently are no signs on the door prohibiting carrying of firearms on the premises and I didn't want to give them an excuse to put one up by causing a scene and trying to convince the cashier that she didn't know what she was talking about.

I am sure there are those on here that will say I should have waited and straightened her out but while I support OC I don't feel the need to throw it in anyones face unless I have to and my rights are threatened.

Have a good day all!!

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Nope, you handled it perfectly. No need to take additional time out of your day to be inconvenienced. You made the most of the opportunity.

neuroblades

I have to echo what Gutshot & Langzaiguy wrote, you did exactly as you should've! You told her and by her saying, "Uh OK", it seems that she got the point quite directly. There was no need in hanging around, to have hung around might've given them a good reason to have called the police, after the fact. Besides, if the police wanted to talk to you, they would've been awaiting your departure from the store proper. *LOL*

Good work. Carry On!

Savage206

thanks guys! I thought about it after the fact in that maybe I should have done more but you are right. I said my piece and moved on. I did however think that maybe I should start carrying some folded pamphlets with me with KY gun laws on them. Would have been super easy to simply hand her one.

09jisaac

thanks guys! I thought about it after the fact in that maybe I should have done more but you are right. I said my piece and moved on. I did however think that maybe I should start carrying some folded pamphlets with me with KY gun laws on them. Would have been super easy to simply hand her one.

I have looked for some to no avail. I changed the "Kentucky go law" thread to include the law number. So if you want to print that off you can use that. Of course if you can't find something better organized.