• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laurel County

bforbaker

Thought I would make a thread for the Laurel Co. area of Kentucky, of all the OC friendly restaurants and stores locally.

-Wal-Mart (London, KY)
-Golden Corral (London, KY)
-Starbucks (London, KY)

My friend and I went to Golden Corral this afternoon to eat. Both of us were OC'ing. He had his .40 Hi-Point and I my S&M Sigma 9mm.
The place was pretty packed and we both of went for 2 or 3 plates and not a word was said. Just some guy and his dad sitting near saw my pistol and talked to each other about it.

Then we went to Wal-Mart because he needed to purchase some ammo. While we were looking at the ammo case, this guy started asking about OC'ing and our pistols. I shared with about how it was legal to OC without a permit. He said he was going o get a holster and OC as well. The sporting goods guy came over to help us and told us how he always carries off the clock and didn't have a single problem there.

We also go to Starbucks all the time because my friends fiance works there. They haven't said a word either.

neuroblades

Thought I would make a thread for the Laurel Co. area of Kentucky, of all the OC friendly restaurants and stores locally.

-Wal-Mart (London, KY)
-Golden Corral (London, KY)
-Starbucks (London, KY)

My friend and I went to Golden Corral this afternoon to eat. Both of us were OC'ing. He had his .40 Hi-Point and I my S&M Sigma 9mm.
The place was pretty packed and we both of went for 2 or 3 plates and not a word was said. Just some guy and his dad sitting near saw my pistol and talked to each other about it.

Then we went to Wal-Mart because he needed to purchase some ammo. While we were looking at the ammo case, this guy started asking about OC'ing and our pistols. I shared with about how it was legal to OC without a permit. He said he was going o get a holster and OC as well. The sporting goods guy came over to help us and told us how he always carries off the clock and didn't have a single problem there.

We also go to Starbucks all the time because my friends fiance works there. They haven't said a word either.

This is all great to hear. :) I've only passed through Laurel county, I think, on my way to I-75 and Florida a few years back.

Wal-Mart is one of the very best places for someone new to OC to "get their feet wet", so to speak. *LOL* Wal-Mart was my first step back into OC after I moved back here from Florida. And my first OC in Wal-Mart was my most eventful encounter there to date. *LOL* But in the end, everything was simply and quietly resolved, in fact, there's a thread on here that I wrote about it if you'd like to read more about it. *LOL*

Golden Corral has never been an issue either. I've OC'ed in the one in Lexington, Ashland and the one in Huntington, WV off the 29th St. exit; all without a single word being said to me about it. The only thing with Golden Corral though is that being there are so many people in them most of the time, it presents a major Situationally Aware issue that you have to ever aware of ALL those around you, not just a few in the aisles, such as in Wal-Mart. Usually when I do carry into a place that has alot of unknown people present, I tend to hover my elbow very close to my weapon, if anyone hit my elbow in a manner that might dictate a "gun grab" I'm aware and ready for it. This all becomes second nature after awhile and I do it without really thinking about it. *LOL*

Starbucks is one place that I have never been. It's not that I hate coffee, quit the opposite is true. *LOL* It's just that around where I reside, there are no Starbucks to be found, the nearest one is over 60 miles away in Ashland or Huntington WV.

Last edited: