• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We have 3 (yes, 3!) OC preemption bills!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
These three bills are as follows (since for some reason, we are only talking about SB680 and not the other two, I felt the need to showcase them as well), make sure to contact your senators and represenatives to encourage them to vote for these three bills!

HB 1589: Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

HB 1618: Removes the provision granting authority to regulate open carrying of firearms to political subdivisions and requires ordinances regulating the discharge of a firearm to incorporate all justification defenses

SB 680: SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

Right now, all three of these bills have been read a second time. So far, from what I can find from the House and Senate's site, only SB680 has been referred to a committee (S Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence Committee). No date is given on the Senate's page as to when the committee will convene to go over SB680, but I will update when that information is give. As far as HB1589 and HB1618 go, they have gone through the second reading though they have not been assigned to a committee. Now, from my understanding of the process, after a bill is read a second time, it is either given over to a committee or is placed on the Calendar of Business. Neither of these have happened as of yet, but I am optimistic that one or both of these two House bills will reach a committee (especially if we contact our represenatives and encourage them to support it and help push it through).