• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sometimes I wonder about folks

Vitaeus

Open carrying at King's Wok in Silverdale:

I had my wife and both daughters with me, returning from loading up a plate. A gentleman from another table comes up to me, from behind, places his hand on my strong side shoulder and says "Open carry is illegal here."

My reply in a calm voice, "um, welcome to Washington, it is legal here." His reply "I have lived here all my life, no it's not and you are going to get in trouble." He then sat back down at the next table over and I sat down with my family.
If he really really thought it was illegal, why would he just sit back down and do nothing else? And why in Bogs name would you walk up BEHIND someone and touch them? He is rather lucky I am NOT jumpy or a combat veteran or his wrist would likely be
broken.
I am curious what others replies would ave been or should have been. Wife says "Not according to my research" my choice"Could you tell me which RCW I am violating?"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am curious what others replies would ave been or should have been. Wife says "Not according to my research" my choice"Could you tell me which RCW I am violating?"

Well, I would of pulled this picture out and asked; "Then why would the State Attorney General taken this picture with me in downtown Seattle?"

251304_1377118844509_1728023493_656126_597015_n.jpg

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

An oldie but goodie, Look at them in the eye and tell them "Don't you just hate it when some think they know everything? As it just makes it harder on those of us who do!"

amlevin

Isn't "Unwanted Touching" considered Battery (possibly even Assault) under the law? Did you find his hand on your shoulder offensive? Next time advise him that OC is perfectly legal but he is committing a crime himself.

BTW, if he lived all his life in Silverdale, the area was never known for it's abundance of wisdom. I grew up there and couldn't wait to get out of there. Left the day after graduation and haven't been back in over 50 years.

Last edited:

Mainsail

The last time somebody said that to me I looked at him, didn't try to hide the annoyance on my face, and asked, "Do you really think I just strapped a gun on my belt and walked out the door this morning without knowing the law?"

That was enough.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
In some jurisdictions assault is defined as the threat of bodily harm that reasonably causes fear of harm in the victim while battery is the actual physical impact on another person. If the victim has not actually been touched, but only threatened (or someone attempted to touch them), then the crime is assault. If the victim has been touched in a painful, harmful, violent, or offensive way by the person committing the crime, this might be battery. Even a minor touching can qualify as batter providing it is painful, harmful, or offensive to the victim.

Key word in this case "offensive".

From Freeadvice.com

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Meh, I think the OP was fine. I probably would have added at the end something like, "I appreciate your concern, but open carry is legal in Washington and if you want more information about it check out opencarry.org."

fire suppressor

I have open carried there before and never had a problem. Every liberal thinks they need to voice their opinion and educate us instead of minding there own business

Thor80

Well, I would of pulled this picture out and asked; "Then why would the State Attorney General taken this picture with me in downtown Seattle?"

View attachment 7945

I don't have a cool picture like that one, but I do keep a copy of the Spokane County Sheriffs OC Bulletin and an OC pamphlet so I could hand it to them and say "the SHERIFF has no problems with OC..." :)

-Thor