• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Asheboro NC from WV

muddy1

2 weeks ago I rented a home just outside Asheboro NC. Here in WV I always OC and feel comfortable with it; However I am feeling a little uncomfortable about OCing when I get there. I Have done my home work and think I have the laws in NC down but I still feel uncomfortable with it.

Is there anyone on here from the Ashebore area?

one question I have right off the bat is; am I required to register my firearms with NC if I plan to oc them??

We hope to be moving in next Saturday and look forward to meeting some new neighbors.

bc.cruiser

Welcome to the neighborhood! (Only 80miles away) :D
We DO NOT register here, except in Durham. Not even for CC; carry whichever feels good at the time.:dude:
In addition to the state laws you've already gotten familiar with, the municipalities and counties will have ordinances, usually about where you cannot carry, and which are pretty much standard throughout the state. Check them on municode.
I hope you get to have good, sane, gun-friendly neighbors.

Love the avatar!

Last edited:

muddy1

Welcome to the neighborhood! (Only 80miles away) :D
We DO NOT register here, except in Durham. Not even for CC; carry whichever feels good at the time.:dude:
In addition to the state laws you've already gotten familiar with, the municipalities and counties will have ordinances, usually about where you cannot carry, and which are pretty much standard throughout the state. Check them on municode.
I hope you get to have good, sane, gun-friendly neighbors.

Love the avatar!

Thank you for the welcome and the answer to my question. If y'all dont mind I have some more.

1. when it comes to open carry in a car; Does it have to be visible as the officer approaches the car or just as he is by your car? I like to keep it in the center console between the seats and not on the dash however in some cases depending on where the officer stands it could be considered concealed.

2. Either I missed it or it doesn't say is NC oc only available to residence? I will have a WV license until I get everything transferred.

I hold out very little hope for my neighbors most seem to be elderly/nosey/ and not very friendly. I also believe once I do move in they will grow to not like my very loud motorcycle and that I even OC when at home. But I will keep a positive attitude and hope for the best.

Dreamer

OC in NC is similar to OC in WV:

--it is allowed to ANYONE who is legally allowed to possess a firearm,
--OC does not require a permit,
--you may carry most places, with a few exceptions (unlike WV, you CAN'T carry in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption, and you can't carry anywhere they charge admission, like movie theaters or fairs)
--No restriction on the TYPE of handgun you can carry (except in Durham an Chapel Hill)
--no restrictions on ammo type

If you are not a "prohibited person" and may legally buy and possess a handgun, you are good to go for OC, resident or not.

Welcome to NC. And welcome to OCDO!

bc.cruiser

1. when it comes to open carry in a car; Does it have to be visible as the officer approaches the car or just as he is by your car? I like to keep it in the center console between the seats and not on the dash however in some cases depending on where the officer stands it could be considered concealed.
I hold out very little hope for my neighbors most seem to be elderly/nosey/ and not very friendly. I also believe once I do move in they will grow to not like my very loud motorcycle and that I even OC when at home. But I will keep a positive attitude and hope for the best.

In the console is concealed. CC without the CHP is a no-no. Suggestions have been made on other threads on how to secure it while driving and still have it visible. I don't know what kind of car you have, but you can get a pad that will go on the dash that will stay in place and keep the gun from sliding around (except in an accident).
Nosey neighbors can be useful in keeping an eye on the area. Get them on your side.:monkey
You may have already found the HD dealer just off 220 a little south of town.:cool: