Thread: University???

University???

Hello,
    There is a possibility I may begin working at a university soon. Is there any way of keeping my firearm in my vehicle while parked in their parking lot? Ill have my concealed permit, and I'm willing to keep locked away in a vault bolted in the vehicle. Or am I being force to disarm completely thanks to some of these rediculous laws? Id like to be armed on the drive in and from work. Any input?...I don't think I can, but would like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable guys....thanks.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I believe the law states "educational property", so this includes any property controlled or owned by the university.

Best thing to do is stop somewhere right before you get on school grounds and put it locked in the vault. At this point, the gun is no longer easily accessible and should be legal. However, that's just how I view it so don't quote me on it.
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

Quote Originally Posted by 11B2O View Post
    Best thing to do is stop somewhere right before you get on school grounds and put it locked in the vault. At this point, the gun is no longer easily accessible and should be legal. However, that's just how I view it so don't quote me on it.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that there is some way to gain a permit to carry a firearm on some educational property. Not in the sense of concealed carry or purchase permit, but something very specific. I don't know where I came across that, but it seems to stick as something I considered serious and real, rather than a vague rumor. I'll look into it. This would, probably, though, be contingent on the University wishing you to have it there and agreeing to allow you to, which might be a whole other story.

Id really hate to disarm, just because I park in the lot. Any help would be great.

My recollection is that it is a felony for an employee of the educational institution to bring a firearm on to the premises, locked away or not. I would thoroughly investigate before doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by importinvasion View Post
    Id really hate to disarm, just because I park in the lot. Any help would be great.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Bringing a firearm onto educational property of any kind is completly unlawful and will get you into a great deal of trouble no matter how locked away it is. Also, I've never heard of such a permit.

This issue is one of my pet peeves, and was one of the main reasons I co-founded the ECU chapter of SCCC two years ago.

Here's the thing. If you have no relationship to the school, and you just happen to wander onto campus with an handgun in your possession (loaded or unloaded--doesn't matter), it's a Class 1 Misdemeanor. NCGS § 14‑269.2. (f)(1) and (1a)

BUT, if you have DO have a relationship to the school (student, faculty, staff, contractor, parent of student, etc), and you are caught on campus with a handgun in your possession (loaded or unloaded, permit or no permit--doesn't matter), it's a CLASS 1 FELONY. NCGS § 14‑269.2.(b)

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat..._14-269.2.html

So what this means, is when some townie thug creeps onto campus with a gun he's planning to use to rape or mug a student, and he gets caught, it's a misdemeanor that's a little more serious than running a red light.

But if you have ANY legitimate reason to be on campus (like a job, or classes) and you get caught with a gun, you can go to jail for 2 years.

Doesn't that make PERFECT sense?

Some of NC's gun laws are "F-ed up" on a Herculean scale...

So, no, "importinvasion", there is NO WAY for you to legally bring a firearm onto university property in NC.

Having a CHP does not give you exemption.

Unloading it and locking it up doesn't give you exemption.

Working late hours on a campus with a well-known history of violent crime perpetrated by predatory townie thugs who prey on students and staff doesn't give you exemption.

Unless you are an LEO, active-Duty Military on a mission, or an instructor who has express permission from the President of the University to use firearms in a class, there is simply NO WAY to legally possess a firearm on a NC college or university campus--and that INCLUDES locking it up in your car--if your car is parked on campus property.

When I worked late shift in the computer labs at ECU (meaning I closed down the labs after midnight) I would park off-campus, on a public street and walk a few blocks to and from campus. That was the only way to have a gun in my car and still be legal.

I can neither confirm or deny if I or anyone I knew (faculty or students) was ever in possession of a firearm while on ECU property.

I'm not going to tell anyone to break the law, but if it's locked up and your safe is discrete and well-disguised, who would ever know that you had it unless for some reason some campus cop came up with a creative reason to search your vehicle?

Just sayin'...

If you feel you HAVE to carry, and you HAVE to park on campus property, just remember that it is a FELONY. Is the potential risk of never being allowed to vote or possess a firearm worth the risk of not being armed? Only you can make that decision.

I would suggest you try and find on-street public parking spaces that are within walking distance of campus. That seems to be the only legal solution to this insane quandary that NC law puts us in...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that there is some way to gain a permit to carry a firearm on some educational property. Not in the sense of concealed carry or purchase permit, but something very specific. I don't know where I came across that, but it seems to stick as something I considered serious and real, rather than a vague rumor. I'll look into it. This would, probably, though, be contingent on the University wishing you to have it there and agreeing to allow you to, which might be a whole other story.

Not a "permit" so to speak, but "permission" can be granted, if the firearm is used for "instructional purposes" or as part of some sort of "ceremonial" school activity. These "permissions" are incredibly rare, and are NEVER given for "self defense" reasons. NCGS § 14‑269.2.(g)(1)

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislat..._14-269.2.html

But when WVU comes to a NC university to play football, they have to get one of these special permission slips so their "Mountaineer" can shoot his Musket in the stadium...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Damn this sucks. Thanks for the advice guys. Simply amazing....

Founder's Club Member
    I'd say Dreamer nailed it right there.

Without getting into the deep hole of encouraging you one way or another.

Official policy is to tell you not to break the law. What you do outside of that is your risk, of course you know this.

The only way to fix this is by fixing the legislation already in place whether through the legislature or in court.

Unfortunately, people already have been raped, murdered, maimed or otherwise on NC campuses because they could not legally protect themselves with a firearm - and more of those instances are sure to occur.
    Last edited by tekshogun; 02-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.

i reiterate. join GRNC and help fight these stupid laws
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

You might also want to consider leasing off-campus private parking. You might have to walk a bit more, but at least you can legally keep your gun in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    You might also want to consider leasing off-campus private parking. You might have to walk a bit more, but at least you can legally keep your gun in the car.
    This might be an idea..

"importinvasion", you might also contact SCCC and see if they have a chapter on your campus, an if they don't you can start one!

Tell them "Richard" from ECU sent you...

http://concealedcampus.org/state.php?sid=68
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964