• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What has changed with State Law regarding Pistol Purchase Permits

Bronson

The fact that you must obtain a permission slip, which may be denied, from the State in order to carry your MI pistol in your vehicle makes it a privilege not a right.

Bronson

xmanhockey7

According to merriman dictionary, I would be losing a right so others can gain a right.
This should not sit good with any true pro gun person.

Merriam Webster told you you'd be losing a right? And I'm with Bronson here. The state issues you a permission slip to carry. To me anyone who was truly pro gun would be in favor of a system where no permit was required.

Super Trucker

Xmanhockey,
If you want a permit like North Dakota, move to North Dakota.

I don't want to lose anything for you to change the world. I really can't type any slower then that.

I am not going to argue semantics, I can carry a gun now. But when people like you want to change the world, I can no longer carry that gun.
WTF is so hard to understand about that.

SpringerXDacp

Merriam Webster told you you'd be losing a right? And I'm with Bronson here. The state issues you a permission slip to carry. To me anyone who was truly pro gun would be in favor of a system where no permit was required.

On the surface ConCarry, no CPL, and no pistol registration sounds great. However, with ConCarry and without the CPL, you still have the prohibitions under 750.234d, unless you're LE or have permission. Arizona, for example, has ConCarry but you still need a permit to carry in places that serve alcohol. Also, with ConCarry, no pistol registration or even a CPL, you have the school zones to deal with. The pistol registration process is our permission slip from Gov to possess, carry, transport, etc, in those zones. (18 USC, Section 922q)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
On the surface ConCarry, no CPL, and no pistol registration sounds great. However, with ConCarry and without the CPL, you still have the prohibitions under 750.234d, unless you're LE or have permission. Arizona, for example, has ConCarry but you still need a permit to carry in places that serve alcohol. Also, with ConCarry, no pistol registration or even a CPL, you have the school zones to deal with. The pistol registration process is our permission slip from Gov to possess, carry, transport, etc, in those zones. (18 USC, Section 922q)
It's simple, offer the permit as an option. Also if you don't want a permit you could volunteer for a background check that would exempt you from the federal GF school zone.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
In October 2008 and again in October of 2009 I obtained pistol purchase permits from the City of Grand Rapids PD. I took the test, did the paperwork, had them run the background check, and in each case 15-20 minutes later I was issued the purchase permit on the spot.

Last week I attempted to obtain one at the same PD from the exact same lady that helped the last two times and about 15 minutes into the process she says " I know we have issued pistol purchase permits before, but some things have changed and your record shows some arrests without anymore notes and that has to be reviewed which normally takes 3-5 days, but my supervisor is out so it will take longer than 5 days." she gave me a phone number and reference number to call back to check the status. I asked if the arrests were from 1991 and she confirmed that they were from 1991 and 1992 which I let her know were arrests for what was a minor in possession of Alcohol and I believe it was a civil infraction not even a misdeamonor. She apologized but said that I had to call back.

I am wondering if this is a change in State Law or with the Police Department Policy. Is anybody aware of any changes in State law in this regard since October of 2009? you would think that under Snyder policy would be more friendly towards gun owner rights.

Also, since I haven't kept up with changes to Open Carry Legislation since I researched a few years ago, has there been any changes that I should be aware when I open carry? I still open carry occasionally and have never had any problems but I would hate to find out it was outlawed by a cop when I am in the back of his Patrol Car.

Nothing has really changed... just that the GRPD is, imho, on a crusade regarding the number illegal guns in the city. Once again, it is my opinion that the police feel that by limiting the number of permits through using their legal prerogative in issuance, that this will somehow have an effect on the number of shootings in GR. If they would only realize that people who own illegal handguns don't tend to register them... and that by denying citizens the means to protect themselves from the illegal gun owners, they are making the problem worse, not better.

MCL 28.422

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Xmanhockey,
If you want a permit like North Dakota, move to North Dakota.

I don't want to lose anything for you to change the world. I really can't type any slower then that.

I am not going to argue semantics, I can carry a gun now. But when people like you want to change the world, I can no longer carry that gun.
WTF is so hard to understand about that.

I dont know how I can explain it to you any simpler. Clearly you either don't understand what I'm saying. Also why is it just about you carrying a gun? Is that all you care about?

Super Trucker

I dont know how I can explain it to you any simpler. Clearly you either don't understand what I'm saying. Also why is it just about you carrying a gun? Is that all you care about?

I can legaly carry today and defend myself, if people like you get your way a certain line of self defense goes away, why do you think it shouldn't be just about that? Yes my personal safety is 100% of my concern.

You not fighting tooth and nail to make sure a line of self defense isn't stripped away speakes very louding about yourself and the others that just don't get it.
If you want kids to buy guns then fight for that, don't cower like a bitch and throw my line of self defense away just so you can think you did something good.

You have never and will never hear me say taking away somebodies ability to mdefend themselves is OK, so next time you call me anti gun feel free to show exactly where I said to remove anything.

I don't like CC and will not fight to get it, if you want to have at it. I will not fight against it unless you try to strip away more from me.

Maybe you should ask bronson if he is willing to give up his CPL so kids can buy handguns from an FFL, after all you guys thinkl that a right out weighs a priviledge.

xmanhockey7

I can legaly carry today and defend myself, if people like you get your way a certain line of self defense goes away, why do you think it shouldn't be just about that? Yes my personal safety is 100% of my concern.

You not fighting tooth and nail to make sure a line of self defense isn't stripped away speakes very louding about yourself and the others that just don't get it.
If you want kids to buy guns then fight for that, don't cower like a bitch and throw my line of self defense away just so you can think you did something good.

You have never and will never hear me say taking away somebodies ability to mdefend themselves is OK, so next time you call me anti gun feel free to show exactly where I said to remove anything.

I don't like CC and will not fight to get it, if you want to have at it. I will not fight against it unless you try to strip away more from me.

Maybe you should ask bronson if he is willing to give up his CPL so kids can buy handguns from an FFL, after all you guys thinkl that a right out weighs a priviledge.

I'm not trying to take away your right to carry. I want to expand the right of people to be able to carry. Like I have said before we should keep the license we have now in place but also add the option of CC or getting a license that doesn't cost such a ridiculous amount of time, money, and energy. I do not want it to, in anyway, put further restrictions on the current permit. I've said this before you are just so against it you are blind to it.

I'd also appreciate you not calling me a "bitch". I don't call you names you shouldn't be calling me names. We clearly don't agree on this. You need to not take this so personal. There are going to be people who do not agree with you. It's going to happen!!!!! And I'm not in favor of "kids" having guns. I'm in favor of people who are old enough to sign up to defend our rights to be able to purchase and carry firearms and ammo.

ETA: I'm done with this crap. There are others on here who have seen how you can be and I'm sure more will. You are the only person on all forums I've been on who has ever messaged me and made silly accusations about what I believe and say. You really need to realize there are going to be people who do not agree with you 100% who are also pro gun despite not agreeing with you. Get over it!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bronson

Actually I personally don't think this is good legislation. Dr. Todd wrote a very cogent post that convinced me. You on the other hand whine a lot and I like nothing more than to wind up a whiner.

Bronson

Super Trucker

I'm not trying to take away your right to carry. I want to expand the right of people to be able to carry. Like I have said before we should keep the license we have now in place but also add the option of CC or getting a license that doesn't cost such a ridiculous amount of time, money, and energy. I do not want it to, in anyway, put further restrictions on the current permit. I've said this before you are just so against it you are blind to it.

I'd also appreciate you not calling me a "bitch". I don't call you names you shouldn't be calling me names. We clearly don't agree on this. You need to not take this so personal. There are going to be people who do not agree with you. It's going to happen!!!!! And I'm not in favor of "kids" having guns. I'm in favor of people who are old enough to sign up to defend our rights to be able to purchase and carry firearms and ammo.

ETA: I'm done with this crap. There are others on here who have seen how you can be and I'm sure more will. You are the only person on all forums I've been on who has ever messaged me and made silly accusations about what I believe and say. You really need to realize there are going to be people who do not agree with you 100% who are also pro gun despite not agreeing with you. Get over it!!!!!!
I can quote you saying you are not against me losing the ability to defend myself, how is that an accusation? Please explain.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Can't we all just get along?......

[video=youtube;1sONfxPCTU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0[/video]

If not I say you gents should meet at high noon somewhere with super soakers (and proper eye protection) and have at it. :cool:

Super Trucker

I have been on the road and had to wait until I returned to the office computer to show what the dictionary said.

Dictionary.jpg

The highlighted part says

something to which one has a just claim: as a : the power or privilege to which one is justly entitled

Merriam Webster told you you'd be losing a right? And I'm with Bronson here.

YES. The bill you are not against will cause me to lose a right according to Merriam Webster. So you and Bronson are wrong, and detroitfan is for people losing gun rights. There is your cite what more do you want?

The fact that you must obtain a permission slip, which may be denied, from the State in order to carry your MI pistol in your vehicle makes it a privilege not a right.

Bronson

Read above. Maybe you can in your spare time "wind up" Merriam Webster also.

I'm not trying to take away your right to carry. I want to expand the right of people to be able to carry.
Really? That is not what you posted in the thread about SB 760-762. Just curious which it is?

I don't think they're really losing "rights". I'm indifferent on this bill, I see how it can be good and bad. People can still own these guns they just can't carry them concealed if they purchased them after the beginning of this year. At least they will be less guns that end up having to be registered for later confiscation.

The above dictionary definition says that you thinking "they're really not losing rights" is wrong, since you seem to be unable to believe anybody without a "cite".
The "indifferent" comment means you are for it passing. Common sense says if you are not against it, you not against it, meaning you couldn't care any less if it passes (which seems to make that indifferent person against gun rights according to the dictionary). Notice the bold parts of both posts. Sounds like somebody is trying to be a politician;"not trying to take away your right to carry, you just can't carry them concealed". :lol:

As I said before if a gun is stolen or just breaks they will not be able to replace it. Your reply was that I am "anti gun". So with that said are you going to answer the question I asked again (same question asked to you multiple times) in post number 31 or just continue to run away from it?

Super Trucker

Actually I personally don't think this is good legislation. Dr. Todd wrote a very cogent post that convinced me. You on the other hand whine a lot and I like nothing more than to wind up a whiner.

Bronson

So you were for folks losing rights to start? Somebody that needs to be convinced that losing gun rights is a problem, is a problem.
Wow I was extremely wrong about you, I had thought you were an asset to the firearm community.

Bronson

So you were for folks losing rights to start? Somebody that needs to be convinced that losing gun rights is a problem, is a problem.
Wow I was extremely wrong about you, I had thought you were an asset to the firearm community.

Oh, you have wounded me to the quick. Please Sir remove thine poisoned dart from my breast. I beseech thee to retract your barbed remark that I may continue to live within your good graces. :rolleyes:

If you must know I was on the fence. I could see the good and the bad on both sides. Like I said Dr. Todd made very good points that helped me make up my mind.

But you are still just some whiner in the electronic ether of the interwebs and your opinion of me means nothing to me. Ya' know, I'm tempted to start actively supporting this bill for the sole purpose of annoying you.

Bronson

Super Trucker

But you are still just some whiner in the electronic ether of the interwebs and your opinion of me means nothing to me. Ya' know, I'm tempted to start actively supporting this bill for the sole purpose of annoying you.

Bronson

I can see the maturity level is low, getting rights removed just to annoy somebody is about 2nd grade level, congratulations.
I will continue to whine about not losing gun rights and you and the other 2 FUDDS keep up the good work, the Brady campaign is proud of you.