Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco Nampa Confrontation

Costco Nampa Confrontation

Last Friday I was looking for office supplies and equipment at the Costco in Nampa for my Security Business with my Wife, and as I had just got off duty, my Glock model 22 was on my hip. I have been in this store MANY times with my weapon and have never encountered so much as a dirty look from anyone, customer nor employee. I was approached by the Loss prevention manager and two floor managers and informed that it was against store policy to open carry firearms in the store and that they would like me to take my weapon outside (they were very polite for the most part). I was pretty annoyed by this as I check the exterior of every location I go to with my weapon and look for a sign that says I cannot carry, Costco had no such postings. I replied that I was offended and that they were not supporting my constitutional rights and that state law permitted me to open carry my weapon, but that I understood their position and would respectfully comply. As I was walking away, one of the managers told me that I should have known better and that the Membership Regulations stated as such. I said nothing as I new I was representing the open carry community at that point and did not want to escalate the issue. I secured my weapon in my vehicle and came back to the customer service desk and asked for a copy of the "regulations" only to learn that there were no such documents (I was met with much hostility when I explained that I was looking for rules regarding open carry). No "rules" or company policy could be provided. I thanked them for their time and shook hands with everyone, keeping a smile on my face the whole time. I will not be a patron of Costco any longer. This experience led me to Join. I realized that if we do not stand up for LAWFUL and constitutionally assured rights, we will loose them.

Activist Member
    Welcome to the wonderful life of firearm ownership! What you need to do is get the corporate email/number and let corporate know that you were given false information. Also when you requested the policy they got rude and disrespectful to you. Just report how your experience was in that Cosco, also include the store location and such so they know which one it is.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixi View Post
    ...I will not be a patron of Costco any longer. ....
    From what I hear, they will refund your membership fees.

Be lucky you walked out of there alive: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-farago/20270/
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

There was no way of knowing this unless you had searched the ocdo website for costco policy. As you found out there is nothing written in their "Rule Book." It has long been corporate policy to forbid carry of any kind in there stores.

There are other issues I don't like about their policies as well.

No more Costco for me.

You handled that incredibly well.

Hopefully, you did not complete the purchase and have gotten your membership money refunded.

Let them know it's costing, not gaining them, business.

Sad to hear about your Costco problem. I have been OCing weekly at the Boise Costco for about two years and nobody had said anything to me. My wife owned a bakery and I was in there all the time, she just sold the buisness so I don't go in as much. The first time I'm get grief I will ask to have my membership refunded and will send my wifes card chopped up in little pieces to corperate with a nice but firm letter letting them know they lost more customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DWCook
    What you need to do is get the corporate email/number
    Google is your friend.
    Office address: 999 Lake Dr.; Issaquah, WA; 98027
    Mailing address: PO Box 34331; Seattle, WA; 98124

Executive officers: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....irol-govmanage
    An assortment of people & phone #s at corporate: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ol-shareholder
    http://shop.costco.com/customer-service/contact-us
    An online comment form: https://costco.egain.net/system/self...=en&COUNTRY=us
    (reached from the "email Costco" link on the above page)

let corporate know that you were given false information. Also when you requested the policy they got rude and disrespectful to you... include the store location and such so they know which one it is.
    What he said.
    Give them an opportunity to apologize for their minions' misbehaviour & correct the problem,
    or make them give you a copy of this supposed policy when they refund your membership $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I OC at Boise Costco often. No prob there.

I propose we hold an open OC (e.g. open invitation) meeting at the Nampa Costco soon enough.
    I open carry because if a bad guy attacks me anyway, I am best prepared to respond appropriately, with minimal fuss, and my bearing of a firearm is not infringed by having to lift my shirt, pull back my jacket, or unzip some pouch. Forcing people to carry concealed is an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cromm View Post
    I OC at Boise Costco often. No prob there.

I propose we hold an open OC (e.g. open invitation) meeting at the Nampa Costco soon enough.
    It would blow their minds if everyone with a CWL/CPL would go in first, everyone that can't CC come in a few at a time. When everyone is in the store all the CC'ers take off their coats and become OC'ers also like a flash mob....

The panic the screaming as their would be guns on every isle.....the managments head would explode...as they wouldn't know which way to turn.

After all it isn't posted.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    It would blow their minds if everyone with a CWL/CPL would go in first, everyone that can't CC come in a few at a time. When everyone is in the store all the CC'ers take off their coats and become OC'ers also like a flash mob....

The panic the screaming as their would be guns on every isle.....the managments head would explode...as they wouldn't know which way to turn.

After all it isn't posted.

Im down for it, just got my costco card a few weeks ago. also concealed carry permit holder

i like your sarcasm
    Last edited by jugglzo; 02-14-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: adition

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jugglzo View Post
    Im down for it, just got my costco card a few weeks ago. also concealed carry permit holder

i like your sarcasm
    Sarcasm is my primary language.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    There was no way of knowing this unless you had searched the ocdo website for costco policy. As you found out there is nothing written in their "Rule Book." It has long been corporate policy to forbid carry of any kind in there stores. There are other issues I don't like about their policies as well.

No more Costco for me.
    Will you please cite written official Costco "Corperate Policy" on anything that concerns firearms in their stores? Sorry, I know you cannot, because such written "corporate policy" does not exist. That email from some "secretary" does not count.

Secretaries do not make corporate policy in any corporation, I don't care who they are administrative Assistants for....

Please Do NOT perpetuate the myth of a Costco policy that does not exist. There is no written official Costco corporate policy on firearms (positively or negatively) in their stores, that is why the individual stores sometimes enforce "their store" rules,,,,and some stores do not even have those rules.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Will you please cite written official Costco "Corperate Policy" on anything that concerns firearms in their stores? Sorry, I know you cannot, because such written "corporate policy" does not exist. That email from some "secretary" does not count.

Secretaries do not make corporate policy in any corporation, I don't care who they are administrative Assistants for....

Please Do NOT perpetuate the myth of a Costco policy that does not exist. There is no written official Costco corporate policy on firearms (positively or negatively) in their stores, that is why the individual stores sometimes enforce "their store" rules,,,,and some stores do not even have those rules.
    Never the less, EVERY contact with Costco corporate results in a letter stating that policy is no firearms. Do a search on this forum and you will find several threads regarding this and the resulting "Email from some Secretary." The secretary does not create those emails on her own. It may be that some store managers and loss personnel have not yet contacted corporate about carry. You can rest assured that when they do it will not be up to their discretion. Written policy or not... the end result is ...no carry in Costco.

Same Costco same story different person carrying open different day. I called corporate and the manager for the NW region confirmed that policy. Costco is private property and we do not have a right to carry there that said they should have it posted or otherwise made known that guns are not welcome in their stores. They do not want a publicly posted policy because it would loose them a lot of business.

~Daniel

Date: February 11, 2012

Re: FireArms/Gun Ban

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

This letter is in response to your concern on February 10, 2012, regarding Costco’s “No Firearms” policy at its warehouse stores. You mentioned your concerns that your rights are being violated by this restriction. We apologize for any inconvenience this policy might have caused you, however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of “public accommodation” within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of “public accommodation” does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse. We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we don't want you." It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Sincerely,
    COSTCO WHOLESALE
    Norm Peterson
    Manager, Warehouse #734

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    Same Costco same story different person carrying open different day. I called corporate and the manager for the NW region confirmed that policy. Costco is private property and we do not have a right to carry there that said they should have it posted or otherwise made known that guns are not welcome in their stores. They do not want a publicly posted policy because it would loose them a lot of business.

~Daniel

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

This letter is in response to your concern on February 10, 2012, regarding Costco’s “No Firearms” policy at its warehouse stores. You mentioned your concerns that your rights are being violated by this restriction. We apologize for any inconvenience this policy might have caused you, however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of “public accommodation” within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of “public accommodation” does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse. We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we don't want you." It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Sincerely,
    COSTCO WHOLESALE
    Norm Peterson
    Manager, Warehouse #734
    This can't possibly be real.
    #1. He is not a secretary.
    #2. Didn't he used to be on "Cheers"?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post

~Daniel

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

Sincerely,
    COSTCO WHOLESALE
    Norm Peterson
    Manager, Warehouse #734
    This is how I read this....
    Blah, blah, blah, gun free victim zone, blah, dee blah blah.

I will not be shopping at Costco.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Why not reply that if you are mugged on the way to your car, disarmed by his policy you will be suing him personally?

Not that you would/could but it would be amusing to see if he replies.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Again, you are CHOOSING to be a member of the Club that prohibits you from carrying. What is your grounds for the lawsuit?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Again, you are CHOOSING to be a member of the Club that prohibits you from carrying. What is your grounds for the lawsuit?
    I agree. I respect private property and their right to have anti gun policies, even though I strongly disagree with it. My only issue is that I had no way of knowing that I was violating their policy or that my business was supporting an anti gun agenda.

~Daniel
    Last edited by Powder River; 02-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.

They purposely do not advertise their anti-gun policy. Just look how many times Costco gets brought up on these gun forums. There are a lot of us that still don't know and are giving them money. They are quite happy with this until they actually see your gun, and the very few who MIGHT quit because they were personally "handled" won't hit their bottom line worth noticing.

If you question this policy and demand a refund for your membership fees, they will do it. If you just wait until it renews, then they won't know why they lost you. But I'll wager most will continue to keep their membership. That is their choice. I canceled Costco long ago and joined Sam's Club. I drive a little further, and it's a little different, but not in ways I can't easily live with.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    A 'policy' which is clearly proven to be unwritten would be indefensible in court. IANAL.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

[QUOTE=sawah;1702444]A 'policy' which is clearly proven
    Last edited by jugglzo; 03-11-2013 at 08:01 PM.

While I can appreciate Costco desiring to do as they please on their private property, I don't agree with their "no gun" policy. In theory, as stated by their no firearm policy, Costco believes such a policy enables a safe environment for their employees and members. In reality their no gun policy does just the opposite. By denying legal and responsible gun owners the right to defend themselves, gives an advantage to the "Bad Guy", leaving law abiding citizens to be victims, and such is the fallacy of gun control, whether it be from Costco, or mandated by government legislation.

I will never shop at Costco as long as they have their no firearm policy for two reasons. 1) I don't feel safe in a Costco store which denies my right to defend myself against a BG without my firearm. 2) I choose not to do business with any company that promotes gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
    While I can appreciate Costco desiring to do as they please on their private property, I don't agree with their "no gun" policy. In theory, as stated by their no firearm policy, Costco believes such a policy enables a safe environment for their employees and members. In reality their no gun policy does just the opposite. By denying legal and responsible gun owners the right to defend themselves, gives an advantage to the "Bad Guy", leaving law abiding citizens to be victims, and such is the fallacy of gun control, whether it be from Costco, or mandated by government legislation.

I will never shop at Costco as long as they have their no firearm policy for two reasons. 1) I don't feel safe in a Costco store which denies my right to defend myself against a BG without my firearm. 2) I choose not to do business with any company that promotes gun control.
    you should let them know that thousands of concealed carriers shop in there stores everyday. i wonder how many problems they've had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast