• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco Nampa Confrontation

Dixi

Last Friday I was looking for office supplies and equipment at the Costco in Nampa for my Security Business with my Wife, and as I had just got off duty, my Glock model 22 was on my hip. I have been in this store MANY times with my weapon and have never encountered so much as a dirty look from anyone, customer nor employee. I was approached by the Loss prevention manager and two floor managers and informed that it was against store policy to open carry firearms in the store and that they would like me to take my weapon outside (they were very polite for the most part). I was pretty annoyed by this as I check the exterior of every location I go to with my weapon and look for a sign that says I cannot carry, Costco had no such postings. I replied that I was offended and that they were not supporting my constitutional rights and that state law permitted me to open carry my weapon, but that I understood their position and would respectfully comply. As I was walking away, one of the managers told me that I should have known better and that the Membership Regulations stated as such. I said nothing as I new I was representing the open carry community at that point and did not want to escalate the issue. I secured my weapon in my vehicle and came back to the customer service desk and asked for a copy of the "regulations" only to learn that there were no such documents (I was met with much hostility when I explained that I was looking for rules regarding open carry). No "rules" or company policy could be provided. I thanked them for their time and shook hands with everyone, keeping a smile on my face the whole time. I will not be a patron of Costco any longer. This experience led me to Join. I realized that if we do not stand up for LAWFUL and constitutionally assured rights, we will loose them.

DWCook

Activist Member
Welcome to the wonderful life of firearm ownership! What you need to do is get the corporate email/number and let corporate know that you were given false information. Also when you requested the policy they got rude and disrespectful to you. Just report how your experience was in that Cosco, also include the store location and such so they know which one it is.

carracer

There was no way of knowing this unless you had searched the ocdo website for costco policy. As you found out there is nothing written in their "Rule Book." It has long been corporate policy to forbid carry of any kind in there stores.

There are other issues I don't like about their policies as well.

No more Costco for me.

ecocks

Hopefully, you did not complete the purchase and have gotten your membership money refunded.

Let them know it's costing, not gaining them, business.

DocWalker

Sad to hear about your Costco problem. I have been OCing weekly at the Boise Costco for about two years and nobody had said anything to me. My wife owned a bakery and I was in there all the time, she just sold the buisness so I don't go in as much. The first time I'm get grief I will ask to have my membership refunded and will send my wifes card chopped up in little pieces to corperate with a nice but firm letter letting them know they lost more customers.

MKEgal

DWCook said:
What you need to do is get the corporate email/number
Google is your friend.
Office address: 999 Lake Dr.; Issaquah, WA; 98027
Mailing address: PO Box 34331; Seattle, WA; 98124

Executive officers: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=83830&p=irol-govmanage
An assortment of people & phone #s at corporate: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=83830&p=irol-shareholder
http://shop.costco.com/customer-service/contact-us
An online comment form: https://costco.egain.net/system/sel...D=STARTPAGE&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=us
(reached from the "email Costco" link on the above page)

let corporate know that you were given false information. Also when you requested the policy they got rude and disrespectful to you... include the store location and such so they know which one it is.
What he said.
Give them an opportunity to apologize for their minions' misbehaviour & correct the problem,
or make them give you a copy of this supposed policy when they refund your membership $$$.

Keith Cromm

I OC at Boise Costco often. No prob there.

I propose we hold an open OC (e.g. open invitation) meeting at the Nampa Costco soon enough.

DocWalker

I OC at Boise Costco often. No prob there.

I propose we hold an open OC (e.g. open invitation) meeting at the Nampa Costco soon enough.

It would blow their minds if everyone with a CWL/CPL would go in first, everyone that can't CC come in a few at a time. When everyone is in the store all the CC'ers take off their coats and become OC'ers also like a flash mob....

The panic the screaming as their would be guns on every isle.....the managments head would explode...as they wouldn't know which way to turn.

After all it isn't posted.

AK47hero

It would blow their minds if everyone with a CWL/CPL would go in first, everyone that can't CC come in a few at a time. When everyone is in the store all the CC'ers take off their coats and become OC'ers also like a flash mob....

The panic the screaming as their would be guns on every isle.....the managments head would explode...as they wouldn't know which way to turn.

After all it isn't posted.

Im down for it, just got my costco card a few weeks ago. also concealed carry permit holder

i like your sarcasm

Last edited:

hermannr

There was no way of knowing this unless you had searched the ocdo website for costco policy. As you found out there is nothing written in their "Rule Book." It has long been corporate policy to forbid carry of any kind in there stores. There are other issues I don't like about their policies as well.

No more Costco for me.

Will you please cite written official Costco "Corperate Policy" on anything that concerns firearms in their stores? Sorry, I know you cannot, because such written "corporate policy" does not exist. That email from some "secretary" does not count.

Secretaries do not make corporate policy in any corporation, I don't care who they are administrative Assistants for....

Please Do NOT perpetuate the myth of a Costco policy that does not exist. There is no written official Costco corporate policy on firearms (positively or negatively) in their stores, that is why the individual stores sometimes enforce "their store" rules,,,,and some stores do not even have those rules.

carracer

Will you please cite written official Costco "Corperate Policy" on anything that concerns firearms in their stores? Sorry, I know you cannot, because such written "corporate policy" does not exist. That email from some "secretary" does not count.

Secretaries do not make corporate policy in any corporation, I don't care who they are administrative Assistants for....

Please Do NOT perpetuate the myth of a Costco policy that does not exist. There is no written official Costco corporate policy on firearms (positively or negatively) in their stores, that is why the individual stores sometimes enforce "their store" rules,,,,and some stores do not even have those rules.

Never the less, EVERY contact with Costco corporate results in a letter stating that policy is no firearms. Do a search on this forum and you will find several threads regarding this and the resulting "Email from some Secretary." The secretary does not create those emails on her own. It may be that some store managers and loss personnel have not yet contacted corporate about carry. You can rest assured that when they do it will not be up to their discretion. Written policy or not... the end result is ...no carry in Costco.

Powder River

Same Costco same story different person carrying open different day. I called corporate and the manager for the NW region confirmed that policy. Costco is private property and we do not have a right to carry there that said they should have it posted or otherwise made known that guns are not welcome in their stores. They do not want a publicly posted policy because it would loose them a lot of business.

~Daniel

Date: February 11, 2012

Re: FireArms/Gun Ban

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

This letter is in response to your concern on February 10, 2012, regarding Costco’s “No Firearms” policy at its warehouse stores. You mentioned your concerns that your rights are being violated by this restriction. We apologize for any inconvenience this policy might have caused you, however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of “public accommodation” within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of “public accommodation” does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse. We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we don't want you." It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Sincerely,
COSTCO WHOLESALE
Norm Peterson
Manager, Warehouse #734

carracer

Same Costco same story different person carrying open different day. I called corporate and the manager for the NW region confirmed that policy. Costco is private property and we do not have a right to carry there that said they should have it posted or otherwise made known that guns are not welcome in their stores. They do not want a publicly posted policy because it would loose them a lot of business.

~Daniel

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

This letter is in response to your concern on February 10, 2012, regarding Costco’s “No Firearms” policy at its warehouse stores. You mentioned your concerns that your rights are being violated by this restriction. We apologize for any inconvenience this policy might have caused you, however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.

As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of “public accommodation” within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of “public accommodation” does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse. We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we don't want you." It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Sincerely,
COSTCO WHOLESALE
Norm Peterson
Manager, Warehouse #734

This can't possibly be real.
#1. He is not a secretary.
#2. Didn't he used to be on "Cheers"?

bowb

~Daniel

Dear Mr. Batchelor:

Sincerely,
COSTCO WHOLESALE
Norm Peterson
Manager, Warehouse #734

This is how I read this....
Blah, blah, blah, gun free victim zone, blah, dee blah blah.

I will not be shopping at Costco.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

sawah

Why not reply that if you are mugged on the way to your car, disarmed by his policy you will be suing him personally?

Not that you would/could but it would be amusing to see if he replies.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Again, you are CHOOSING to be a member of the Club that prohibits you from carrying. What is your grounds for the lawsuit?

Powder River

Again, you are CHOOSING to be a member of the Club that prohibits you from carrying. What is your grounds for the lawsuit?

I agree. I respect private property and their right to have anti gun policies, even though I strongly disagree with it. My only issue is that I had no way of knowing that I was violating their policy or that my business was supporting an anti gun agenda.

~Daniel

Last edited: