• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco Nampa Confrontation

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They purposely do not advertise their anti-gun policy. Just look how many times Costco gets brought up on these gun forums. There are a lot of us that still don't know and are giving them money. They are quite happy with this until they actually see your gun, and the very few who MIGHT quit because they were personally "handled" won't hit their bottom line worth noticing.

If you question this policy and demand a refund for your membership fees, they will do it. If you just wait until it renews, then they won't know why they lost you. But I'll wager most will continue to keep their membership. That is their choice. I canceled Costco long ago and joined Sam's Club. I drive a little further, and it's a little different, but not in ways I can't easily live with.

sawah

Again, you are CHOOSING to be a member of the Club that prohibits you from carrying. What is your grounds for the lawsuit?

A 'policy' which is clearly proven to be unwritten would be indefensible in court. IANAL.

buckfynn

While I can appreciate Costco desiring to do as they please on their private property, I don't agree with their "no gun" policy. In theory, as stated by their no firearm policy, Costco believes such a policy enables a safe environment for their employees and members. In reality their no gun policy does just the opposite. By denying legal and responsible gun owners the right to defend themselves, gives an advantage to the "Bad Guy", leaving law abiding citizens to be victims, and such is the fallacy of gun control, whether it be from Costco, or mandated by government legislation.

I will never shop at Costco as long as they have their no firearm policy for two reasons. 1) I don't feel safe in a Costco store which denies my right to defend myself against a BG without my firearm. 2) I choose not to do business with any company that promotes gun control.

AK47hero

While I can appreciate Costco desiring to do as they please on their private property, I don't agree with their "no gun" policy. In theory, as stated by their no firearm policy, Costco believes such a policy enables a safe environment for their employees and members. In reality their no gun policy does just the opposite. By denying legal and responsible gun owners the right to defend themselves, gives an advantage to the "Bad Guy", leaving law abiding citizens to be victims, and such is the fallacy of gun control, whether it be from Costco, or mandated by government legislation.

I will never shop at Costco as long as they have their no firearm policy for two reasons. 1) I don't feel safe in a Costco store which denies my right to defend myself against a BG without my firearm. 2) I choose not to do business with any company that promotes gun control.

you should let them know that thousands of concealed carriers shop in there stores everyday. i wonder how many problems they've had.

ecocks

Exactly the right thing to do. Let them know their policy cost them your business and that you will spread the word among those who carry openly AND concealed. They really won;t be much interested in you telling them about the safety of their stores since they are certain they have it covered. Your only real power lies in your ability to spend or NOT spend your dollars there.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Costco as mentioned before is not worth the fight, They train their employees to "freak" at the sight of a gun their are stories in this site that reflect the same hostility that the OP spoke of. I had on audio the actual 911 call and deleted it a couple of months ago, but here is a taste... anyone with some googl;e skills can get them,

ERIK SCOTT COSTCO SHOOTING DISPATCH TRANSCRIPT (UNOFFICIAL)

Below is an unofficial partial transcript of the Dispatcher recording of radio transmissions during the Erik Scott Costco Shooting.

It raises questions about what the Costco manager who called 911 told police.The dispatcher tells responders Erik was "acting erratic, throwing merchandise around, possibly high on unknown type of" narcotics."

As of August 12, 2010 no video or 911 recordings have been released to verify those claims, and no "damaged merchandise" has been presented. No independent witness statements indicate "erratic behavior" to date, either. Costco shoud have video of the aisle where Erik was reportedly "acting fidgety," and "possibly stealing merchandise."

The dispatcher says the manager has requested a crisis intervention team and that Erik appeared to be emotionally delirious. The dispatcher says Erik argued with a Costco manager and refused to leave. Dispatcher reports Costco manager said Erik claimed to be a Green Beret with a permit to carry a weapon.

Police relied on a Costco manager, on the telephone with a 911 operator to in the parking lot to describe Erik's activities in the store and to point out Erik to police as he exited.

It also seems to show that officers first had a visual sighting of Erik in Costco, behaving normally, walking with his girlfriend down the aisle calmly with other customers, and that officers knew his weapon was in his waistband. Less than a minute after an officer first broadcasts the location of Erik in the middle of the store, three officers reported shots fired.

Costco surveillance video and recordings of 911 callers have not been released, and they are critical to understanding what prompted Costco to request police support. Will the video show Erik Scott with his gun in its holster in his waistband? Will the video show Erik shopping like any other customer, unaware of what was about to happen? Without all the tapes, the truth cannot be known.

POLICE RADIO CODES

413 Gun or man with gun

414A Petty theft

446 narcotics

CIT Crisis Intervention Team

ED Emotionally Delirious or Disturbed

WC Watch Commander

IC Incident Command

CP Command Post

I came away from the recording wondering what promted the MCU (Mobile command unit) to be at the scene prior to the police even making contact. After seeing the way this affected my community I will never set a foot in a Costco again.